Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbie checking in

Hey Folks, Just checking in. I've just begun to figure out how to squeeze a few more MPGs from my Matrix. I'll be trolling about gathering a few tips or tricks from the knowledge pool. In turn I'll try to contribute some/any relative knowledge I have.

I have a 2010 Toyota Matrix 2.4L S w/auto trans. I'm happy (purchased what I NEEDED) with what I've got and not regrets about a manual or 1.8L. Looking to get more efficient for the sake of being "lean." Yes I'm an engineer. I'm not here to get all touchy feely bout hugging trees and saving the ozone. (no issue with that) I jess don't care to be wasteful, that is my main motive for being here.

I interested in learning to drive more efficient and to challenge myself to conserve fuel. I may make some basic eco mods as that would feed the tinker in me. Thanks and see you around the forum.

Rex

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forums! I recently bought an Ultragauge after many months of waffling, and have to say it's one of the best decisions I've made for my gas mileage. A fuel computer (Scangauge II, Ultragauge or MPGuino) should be one of the highest priorities on your list. The instantaneous feedback everyone always talks about is no joke!

Beyond that, reading the forums and searching for related posts helps tremendously... and I feel obligated to tell you to start a fuel log.

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurist!

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Another vote here for an engine monitor! My personal preference is running the torque app. (You need an obd2 Bluetooth adapter ($25 on amazon) and an android enabled device (cell phone or tablet that has Bluetooth)

I'm running torque on a nexus seven and love the engine stat real estate!

I have been looking into a matrix/vibe as a replacement to my quad cab. What reasons did you go with the larger engine/auto trans, and what kind of mileage are you currently getting out of it? I only ask because I haven't decided what route I want to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	11890  

Last edited by nbleak21; 11-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Attached screenshot
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
I kinda agree with the scanguage. Although getting the scanguage did not change my mpg, I already used it twice to scan codes, saving me 2 trips to the mechanic.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a ScanGage E installed and I have been logging my MPGs since tank #1 when it was new. It is really nice to get that feed back instantly. I'm up about 4mpgs over my normal "done nothing" average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbleak21 View Post
Another vote here for an engine monitor! My personal preference is running the torque app. (You need an obd2 Bluetooth adapter ($25 on amazon) and an android enabled device (cell phone or tablet that has Bluetooth)

I'm running torque on a nexus seven and love the engine stat real estate!

I have been looking into a matrix/vibe as a replacement to my quad cab. What reasons did you go with the larger engine/auto trans, and what kind of mileage are you currently getting out of it? I only ask because I haven't decided what route I want to go.
I went with the 2.4 as I pull a small trailer with a motorcycle on it from time to time. I have two kids and family out of town also. The the bigger engine helps out from time to time. I've been watching my MPGs since I got it new in 06/2011 and I got 25-27 combined, HY I was getting ~30-31. After I installed the SG I've improved the combined by 4mpgs and the HY is up to 33-34MPGs now. Driving style matters more than I imagined! I have a lot of potential that I see after reading what you folks are doing here.

I do like my Matrix - no complaint at all. It isn't fancy and it suits my needs without expensive extras I don't really need. It just works...kinda like my last car (Toyota Camry).
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Adventurist!

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Thanks for the reply, that's much better MPG then I was expecting. I guess I'll be looking into the larger engine/Auto as well then!

Kinda makes me wonder why the Scion TC gets such poor gas mileage (relatively speaking)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I will add that I think I had a naturally efficient driving style when I first got the Matrix. EPA is IIRC 24 comb/29 HW. I have a 24mile trip to work unfortunately and 17 miles are going up and down I94 so my comb mpgs tend to reflect more HW then in town stop and go.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I have the manual with a 1.8 and I towed several small to mid sized boats with it. I have never felt the need for the bigger engine.

How you drive makes a huge difference in mpg. I went form 30 to 38-40 just by how I drove. P&G got me another 8-10 mpg .
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pulling trailers with small displacements engines is a fun thread topic. I'll let go at that.

Last edited by Rex Hooligan; 11-16-2012 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: I gotta support this site...these ads are just plain silly!
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hooligan View Post
Hey Folks, Just checking in. I've just begun to figure out how to squeeze a few more MPGs from my Matrix. I'll be trolling about gathering a few tips or tricks from the knowledge pool. In turn I'll try to contribute some/any relative knowledge I have.

I have a 2010 Toyota Matrix 2.4L S w/auto trans. I'm happy (purchased what I NEEDED) with what I've got and not regrets about a manual or 1.8L. Looking to get more efficient for the sake of being "lean." Yes I'm an engineer. I'm not here to get all touchy feely bout hugging trees and saving the ozone. (no issue with that) I jess don't care to be wasteful, that is my main motive for being here.

I interested in learning to drive more efficient and to challenge myself to conserve fuel. I may make some basic eco mods as that would feed the tinker in me. Thanks and see you around the forum.

Rex
hello to all my friends looking for some active participation from now

Reply  Post New Thread