Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Question Has anyone done this BASIC water injection thing?

From back in the 70's, where you get a canister, aquarium air stone, and some line and simply Tee it into a vacuum line. Its supposed to feed moist air and thus "water injecting" your car (which has its advantages if you already don't know).

Mother Earth Alcohol Fuel: Ron Novak's Do-It-Yourself Water Injection System

Anyway, has anyone ACTUALLY done this? It seems SO cheap to do that I might try it and see what happens. I mean it literally is like $5 to do.

I want to see if anyone has done this and what they thought about it?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
No, and after hearing about this for years, I wonder if there is really any point. I've ever only personally experience water injection to work with my cousin's DSM that ran e85 at 36 psi or some nonsense and needed it to prevent detonation.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Protege - '97 Mazda Protege DX
90 day: 46.42 mpg (US)
Poor mans water injection.

I live in Tucson AZ. So we have Swamp "evaporative coolers". I noticed on my 95 Toyota PU that it "pinged" when it was over 95 degrees and less then 15% humidity. So I can solve that.
I put a small 8 oz water bottle on top of steering column. Put a "dripper" hose line. Something left over from the drip irrigation in the yard. Ran a line into the top of the air filter. So on hot dry days I drip water on my air filter. I get cooler moister air into the engine. It solves the "ping" problem on hot dry days. However I did nto notice a jump in mpg's. So buyer beware.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I tried a drip feed one time to clean out carbon deposits, but didn't notice much change. For that, a heavy dose is probably needed.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
If the oxygen content is reduced by water, what good is more fuel? Perhaps the alcohol was for anti-freeze?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

hmmmmmmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...water vapor *IS* an excellent anti-knock material (as proven by WWII fighter planes), but it's presence reduces air content, which is oxygen, which means LESS power.

...that's *WHY* all the anti-knock water-injection fluids (above) also contained combustables (alcohols).
i second with bike bob, also you would have to feed it a lot of water before you would even begin to displace air for it to be noticable. also remeber water expands when heated during the compression cycle - aiding thermoexpansion...
the reason some ppl run up to 50% methanol is because they want to be able to pull the toy hauler up long grades at the same speed as on the flats.

john deere tractors used to have bubblers like this as well
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
In Pop's B17 they had a water alcohol injection that was used for "War Emergency Power".

Basically you were running something like 30 pounds of boost, whcih gave the engine a life expectancy measured in minutes.

Without the water-alcohol mix injected into the engine the cylinder heads would have blown off the air cooled radials, not really what you wnated to happen low and slow trying to get off the ground with several tons of explosives aboard.

regards
Mech
Old 10-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
What many people I know have done when running water/alcohol injection is actually use windshield washer fluid it has the alcohol mixed in and can be picked up any where plus you know how cold it can get before freezing.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here is a description (very well written) of what we are discussing in case you feel "lost"

Evaporated Water-Alcohol Infusion for Your Car - Try Before Hydrogen Gas or Water Injection - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I also have an idea to increase water vapor inside this unit (since we want as much as possible "since we are going for the maximum mpg and not power").

How about instead of leaving the airline tubing open to the air (where the air goes in and into the aquarium stone), redirect that tubing so that a small amount of exhaust is coming in. This will
1) Force air into the container, instead of letting the vacuum of your car suck it in, and produce a lot more water vapor;
2) Produce more water vapor because the exhaust is somewhat hot compared to the outside air;
3) Reuse some of the exhaust's gasses (which have less oxygen content) and thus the engine will have less power = good for cruising because the throttle can be open more without the engine actually injecting more fuel so the throttle plate losses minimize.

What do you think? I came with the idea when I read in that top article that the guy had to use an aquarium air pump since his car didn't draw enough of a vacuum (and I think I might be the same since my engine is small). Also, you could put a simple electric valve on the line so you could turn off the exhaust intake for when you want more power for your car.

Reply  Post New Thread