Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
Yikes. I really wouldn't recommend running a car without a vacuum to the brakes.
You just have to know your car. First time I drove my '65 F100 that has manual everything including brakes, it was scary. But then daily driving it for a couple months this summer, it became routine. I have yet to really test the Probe's brakes without assist but it shouldn't be tooooo much of a problem.

Has anyone noticed how it seems that you coast longer at lower speeds? I assume it's because of dramatically reduced aero drag, but it's kind of frustrating in town when derps start slowing down for this or that.

And, like Ladogaboy said, people in general don't know how to take corners, let alone take them fast and conserve momentum. I'm by no means going around 45 mph corners at 90, but there's a certain point where people are being annoyingly cautious.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I'm by no means going around 45 mph corners at 90, but there's a certain point where people are being annoyingly cautious.
For sure. I'm usually still taking 20-25 mph "caution" corners at ~ 30-35 mph, but it is generally safe for me to do so. When you start taking that same corner a 15-20 mph after doing 45 mph in the 35 mph zone, I start to question.

And my personal experiences with a '74 F350 are why I say to use caution when coasting without brake vacuum. Now that I think about it, that might have been my first experience hypermiling. I had ~ 1 gallon of gas, and the nearest gas station was ~ 20 miles away. Shut the engine off and neutral rolled for about 4 miles of the trip.