Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
NeilBlanchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maynard, MA Eaarth
Posts: 7,588

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,958
Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,625 Posts
If the crankshaft rotation was counterclockwise - would the power stroke have better mechanical vectors?

The radius of the crank pin is much smaller, and based on that, the torque would seem to be MUCH lower for the left side diagram.

__________________
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,164
Thanks: 1,706
Thanked 578 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If the crankshaft rotation was counterclockwise - would the power stroke have better mechanical vectors?

The radius of the crank pin is much smaller, and based on that, the torque would seem to be MUCH lower for the left side diagram.
Interesting thought. I see what you mean... this is basically the reverse of a stroker modification... instead, you're getting the engine to act like a short-stroke one with the same effective movement range. I don't know if it's noticeable, but the piston on the VC-T actually accelerates slower at the start of the downstroke than the standard piston, where all the power is supposed to be made... and contrawise, due to the eccentric movement of the upper link, if you reversed the motion, the VC-T piston would indeed move faster on the downstroke, which *should* give more torque. (...uhh... right?)

But I'm assuming Nissan makes it rotate that way due to side loading and efficiency. Plus, it will probably rev higher (if these other considerations outweigh the extra friction caused by the extra link assemblies) Besides... with a turbo, they can probably cover up any torque deficiency inherent in the design... they're claiming V6-like power... meaning 250-300+ hp... though that's not too terribly far out for a two-liter turbo nowadays.

Last edited by niky; 08-29-2016 at 01:40 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 5,214

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,855
Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,057 Posts
Thanks Daox... interesting bit of news.
__________________


See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen
 
Fingie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Finland
Posts: 789

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 298
Thanked 82 Times in 68 Posts
This is certainly interesting.

We'll see how well these will last.

It's amazing how far you'll go with money, many cheaper manufacturers haven't even changed to direct injection, and here we have some manufacturers reinventing the wheel (Or should I say crank)
__________________
If you don't make any mistakes in your life,
life itself will be a f*ckup.



With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
NeilBlanchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maynard, MA Eaarth
Posts: 7,588

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,958
Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Interesting thought. I see what you mean... this is basically the reverse of a stroker modification... instead, you're getting the engine to act like a short-stroke one with the same effective movement range. I don't know if it's noticeable, but the piston on the VC-T actually accelerates slower at the start of the downstroke than the standard piston, where all the power is supposed to be made... and contrawise, due to the eccentric movement of the upper link, if you reversed the motion, the VC-T piston would indeed move faster on the downstroke, which *should* give more torque. (...uhh... right?)

But I'm assuming Nissan makes it rotate that way due to side loading and efficiency. Plus, it will probably rev higher (if these other considerations outweigh the extra friction caused by the extra link assemblies) Besides... with a turbo, they can probably cover up any torque deficiency inherent in the design... they're claiming V6-like power... meaning 250-300+ hp... though that's not too terribly far out for a two-liter turbo nowadays.
I was thinking along the lines of what Honda (and I am sure others as well) did, which is to offset the centerline of the cylinder to the down (power) stroke side. This puts the connecting rod in a better position at TDC to push the crank more effectively at the beginning of the power stroke.
__________________
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,164
Thanks: 1,706
Thanked 578 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I was thinking along the lines of what Honda (and I am sure others as well) did, which is to offset the centerline of the cylinder to the down (power) stroke side. This puts the connecting rod in a better position at TDC to push the crank more effectively at the beginning of the power stroke.
The way I see it... it's already offset that way... but I don't know how much of that vertical push goes into the crank.

Funnily enough, some readers pointed out Honda's EX-link, which I knew nothing about... which uses almost the exact same multi-link system, only with a continuously moving lower pivot, basically making it an atkinson's engine, with a longer intake stroke achieved mechanically rather than through valve trickery:


(the animation is a bit off, though... in the final Honda prototype, the connecting rod also pushes straight down on the power stroke)

Thinking of covering this one, also, since it was mentioned... but that's going to be a pain in the butt to animate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
NeilBlanchard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maynard, MA Eaarth
Posts: 7,588

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,958
Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,625 Posts
That's a different design than the Nissan engine.
__________________
Sincerely, Neil

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philippines
Posts: 2,164
Thanks: 1,706
Thanked 578 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
That's a different design than the Nissan engine.
Yes, it is, but interestingly, Honda's final engine uses a very similar multi-link geometry:


Last edited by niky; 09-02-2016 at 07:02 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,077

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 292
Thanked 557 Times in 416 Posts
Interesting that Honda uses that engine for natural gas cogeneration and heat.

Its unfortunate that cogeneration systems (which are just a motor and heat exchanger) can't be mass produced and reasonably priced.

If they were priced at the same rate as any other small engine we could produce energy at home more efficiently than the grid with about the same level of reliability. Solar when you have it NG when you don't and need heat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Duck duck duck
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Posts: 3,417

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 59.75 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,289
Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,149 Posts
Road&Track had it featured nicely:

Variable Compression Engine - How Infiniti VC-T Works

__________________
2011 Honda Insight + HID, LEDs, tiny PV panel, extra brake pad return springs, neutral wheel alignment, 44/42 PSI (air), PHEV light (inop), tightened wheel nut.
lifetime FE over 0.14 Gm or 0.09 MM.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com