Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #251 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
What are the true costs of gasoline? Environmental damage and long term health costs are astronomical.

Do you include the wear and tear on the ICE? The cost to rebuild the engine?

What if you buy solar panels on your home - which pays for itself in ~10 years?

So, you drive for free.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #252 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
we don't all have a place to put solar panels or a windmill, or even have access to 240v for efficient charging though. The grid is going to be a major factor for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #253 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
dumb
Sorry that you will never agree with me but what you are paying for any amount of electricity, regardless of where it goes after it gets to your meter, is the amount you write the check for divided by the kWh that were used.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #254 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

We pay a lot in the form of taxes (and don't get neil started on the environment) so it is kinda arbitrary, double booking a pre-existing fixed cost isn't accurate in terms of impact to ones budget vs expected miles. only $/kwh is. It is the most basic of accounting measures.

Last edited by P-hack; 01-09-2015 at 09:42 AM..
Old 01-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #255 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
We finally agree! Take the total $ amount of your electric bill and divide it by the kWh. This is what your electricity costs regardless of where it goes after it goes through your meter. Simple accounting.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #256 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjd View Post
I love the technology and I'm really glad it works for some people to pioneer it. I'll probably own one someday and be thankful that there were people with the right lifestyle and values to make it work. But for me, that day is probably 10-15 years away from the looks of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
The problem with sharing schemes is most people treat their belongings like crap, so the way they treat something they don't own is... Moreover, to use your mower example, you mower is good for say 10,000 hours, it doesn't really matter if you use them all at once or in 1/2hour blocks.
That's where a community rating system would come in. People are able to rent out their house with confidence to a stranger on Airbnb by looking at an individual's reputation. In the future, we will have something like a credit score that everyone can access, that tracks how well we uphold our end of the deal.

The mower was just 1 example, but I really don't want to be cutting the grass with the same mower 30 years from now. I expect better technology will come out in that time frame, and would rather make extra money renting the mower out to others when it isn't being utilized.

Many people don't know how to maintain a mower, and therefor shouldn't own one in the first place. It's more efficient to have a few machines that are well maintained than to have everyone purchase their own machine, with most people not understanding how to fix gummed up carbs, sharpen blades, or fix a broken pull-cord.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #257 (permalink)
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
we don't all have a place to put solar panels or a windmill, or even have access to 240v for efficient charging though. The grid is going to be a major factor for the foreseeable future.
My old electricity company had a program where you pay for the solar panels and they would install them at their facility. The electricity generated by the panels was credited to your electricity bill. Not sure if they still run the program but i once visited their facility and it was acres and acres of land covered with panels of the same type that people normally install on their roofs.
This electricity company's coverage area was predominantly inner suburbs where there are mostly multi story apartments or small attached houses.
Not many people would have had the roof space or permission to install panels on their roofs. So the program was very popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
We finally agree! Take the total $ amount of your electric bill and divide it by the kWh. This is what your electricity costs regardless of where it goes after it goes through your meter. Simple accounting.
The discussion about electricity costs for an EV seems to be hung up on whether to include the access/service charges.
Personally i don't include those charges when working out a single devices electricity cost.
But when i think of the total cost of my electricity i do include the service/access charges. So my kWh cost is not the tens of cents per kilowatt the bill states but rather the entire cost of the bill divided by my usage. But that is when i am thinking of my total electricity costs.
If i look at an individual appliance i just look at it's kWh usage as it's cost to me.
Every appliance in my house requires a connection to electricity grid so they all require me to pay the access/service charges.
If i was to be totally accurate i would have to count every device that plugs into the electricity grid and then divide the access/service charges by that number. Then that portion of the access/service charges could be included in the figure for how much each device costs me.
I would estimate somewhere around 100 devices (actually it is probably more) so dividing say a $20 access charge by the number of devices gives a figure of $0.20 that i would need to add to each devices monthly kWh cost to get it's true cost.
For high kWh users like an EV a $0.20 per month access charge wouldn't make much difference.
With the number of devices in my house changing all the time it would be more of a pain to calculate than it was worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I agree that the only accurate way to account for the cost of an EV is to measure the energy used from the utility meter to charge the battery. Just looking at how many Ah the battery took would not account for considerable charging losses due to inefficiencies in transformers, cables, and chemistry.
Dem beans gotta be counted.
With regard to charging inefficiencies, i would certainly suggest using either a kill-a-watt meter at the power outlet or a wired in kWh meter. That way any charging inefficiencies would be included in the EV's power usage.
For my EV the charger will be on board and so adding a wired in kWh meter before the charger will be quite straight forward. I am planning to add one during the build but the main reason for having an on board kWh meter was so that if i charge at a friends house i can reimburse them and they can be confident that the figure is correct.
Most of the people i visit probably wouldn't accept an offer of cash but at least it would allay any fears that my EV was responsible for their next unexpectedly high bill. Seeing as most people never expect their bills to be as high as they are. I think people who monitor their power usage down to the kWh and so know what their bill will be before it arrives are in the minority.

Last edited by Astro; 01-10-2015 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: tens of cents per kilowatt not tens of cents
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #258 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

got a free charge today, service fees had nada to do with that. But it did provide for the rest of the appliances in the house. Guess I will use the free one and report how free it all is, since nobody is offering to fill up my gasser for free on a regular basis.

Thanks sendler, my $/mile just went to ZERO!!! WOOOOO FREEE ELECTRICITY!!!! WOO!!!! NO SERVICE CHARGE!!!!! NO ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!! FREEE MILES!!!!! WOOOO!!! GAS IS STUPIDDDD!! NO MORE WWWAARS!! SAVVEE THE PLANETTT!!! WOOO!!

We could go that route if you like
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #259 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post
For my EV the charger will be on board and so adding a wired in kWh meter before the charger will be quite straight forward. I am planning to add one during the build but the main reason for having an on board kWh meter was so that if i charge at a friends house i can reimburse them and they can be confident that the figure is correct.
Good idea. I wouldn't accept cash for charging a car. Electricity is cheap in the States, so I wouldn't mind the $2. Any old bum can charge for free at my house.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #260 (permalink)
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Good idea. I wouldn't accept cash for charging a car. Electricity is cheap in the States, so I wouldn't mind the $2. Any old bum can charge for free at my house.
Me either, charging an EV costs less than a coffee. If somebody came over to visit i wouldn't ask them to pay for their coffee.
I expect the same would happen when i visited them.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
electric car, leaf