Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
HP is the "...time-rate..." at which TORQUE is produced.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automcdonough View Post
maybe it's the perspective you have confused, something with very little HP can still put out a huge amount of torque.
1 hp = 745.699872 watts is fact, it is a direct translation, just like metric to inches, it is just converting one form of measurement to another, in a motor you create some heat so a 1hp motor tends to draw closer to 900-1000 watts while it is putting out one horse power, if it is running without a load it's doing less work so it's electrical consumption drops as well, I don't know what perspective you are talking about, I'm looking at this from the point of view of what the facts are.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

like this: if it's spinning slowly enough it might be producing 160ft-lbs of torque but consuming only 20HP of juice. To produce that torque at high RPM is easily >100HP.

was just trying to figure out what the guy was thinking..
Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ryland is correct, 100 watts can not make 1 hp. It is a law of physics. I am a mechanical engineer so have to work within these laws everyday.

As for scientist changing the laws of physics, they are just modifing the laws we have now to work at the macro (universe) and micro (below subatomic) levels. The laws as written for earth scale are firm. It would take a radical changing in human knowledge to change the laws of physics regarding conservation of energy.

As far as torque and horsepower, horsepower = torque X RPM X constant for your units of measurement. If RPM = 0, then torque could equal 1,000,000 ft*lbs and horspower would still equal zero. 1,000,000 torque at 5252 rpm would equal 1,000,000 horsepower. Horsepower is what counts though, 1,000 torque at 0 RPM is useless in terms of moving something if you end with 0 torque above 0 rpm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasmodean For This Useful Post:
Mustang Dave (08-19-2010)
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
You absolutely can NOT violate the laws of physics.
A friend at work told me about someone who drove off the freeway and "removed himself from the gene pool" and said, "He violated the laws of physics." I reminded him that that person did NOT violate the laws of physics. He followed them to the letter! He only attempted to violate them.

And, as stated before, it's NOT possible to get 1 HP from 100 W. That would violate the laws of physics, and no one has ever been able to violate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

waht's that about a dead horse and a stick?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
1hp out of 100 watts is impossible because 1 hp = 745.699872 watts, you can not get more out of something then you put in to it, Horse power is a unit of measurement that can directly be converted in to watts or watts in to horse power.
That's what I've been told, but how did science come to that conclusion? What basis of experiment returned the unerring result of ~746 watts to generate one horsepower?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
If you are going to argue that something works because it doesn't fallow the same rules as the rest of science then you need to cite sources and not just say that someday 1+1 might equal 5...
The only way that I could see any device putting out more mechanical force then the electrical energy that is put in to it is if it also pulls energy out of the air or something as well, if it did this then instead of a motor getting warm as it ran because of the friction inside, it would instead get cold as it absorbed energy from around it, if it simply created energy... then you would be creating energy.
In the video I mentioned in my OP, Peter Lindemann talks about the Back EMF in a DC motor causing a massive increase in the power consumption of the motor. I don't think that at the time he created that video, that he had a working model, but there's a later video on Youtube showing a modified D.C. motor. Have a watch.

Basically, he's saying that a horsepower does NOT require 746 watts, that 746 watts is mostly wasted by the motor fighting itself, and that keeping the motor from fighting itself causes it to be more efficient.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A horsepower is 746 watts just like a foot is 12 inches. His claims violate physics as understood today, and for the last century or so. While physics laws do change this is at the micro or macro scale and extreme speeds, not at the 1hp motor level.

You really have to ask yourself which is more likely, a total rework of our understanding of the physical universe, or a con man or fool trying to get investor money.

I would be much much happier if he had claimed to have invented a more efficient motor say 99% instead of 90%, at least this still concedes that presently understood physical limits are still in force.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Out of my mind, back in 5

Well... Granted... He has proven that the engine frewheels better... He has also proven that it does infact draw less with the bulb there to use some of the kickback instead of just feeding into the motor...

He has however NOT proven that the motor is equally powerfull after the modifications, or that it's equally powerful with the bulb there...

Spinning a faily light wheel to 3000'ish RPM at 20V on a motor like that takes very little energy, regardless of how the motor is built...

Put that to the test and I might start thinking about, thinking abot believeing him... Until that time, I'm saying the one thing has very little with the other to do...

And even if he proves that, I still say you can't break the laws of nature... They are self enforcing in a way that mans laws never will be...