Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

new to me 2011 Honda Insight

Finally did it and I couldn't be happier! Almost 3 long months of going back and forth between Civic's and Prius's and I settled on the Insight. It really came down to price and vehicle condition as it was hard to find a really nice 2nd gen Prius without 100,000 miles in my price range and well all Civics I looked at had some measurable amount of body damage. Last week...a car that had been previously 16k was at the dealership with its lowest price before auction...just shy of 14k. I was able to score it for 13250 and it was with the help of the sales manager...old friend from high school. He ended up losing about 1k in the end on it in the almost 100 days that they had it. Detail...2011 base in black, just under 30k miles, all maintenance records and its flawless well aside from a half-assed rear bumper touch up. But otherwise...perfect for me! So far on every combined trip I have been averaging at least 48mpg and thats going a few above the speed limit and having some moments of "spirited" driving. So far 100 miles added in the few days that I have had it and I couldn't be happier!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So future plans...

MDX/Maxima HID projectors with clear lense
buff/polish car and coat with opti coat 2.0
clean inside
full "green" audio system
black plastic disc wheel covers with old school Honda center cap (excited for this one!)
new tires
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

would like to post pics!...sorry for the pointless post
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Old 06-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

and wheel discs...

black plastic....or ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene...very scratch/friction resistant. it is 16" OD with a 3-3/8" middle hole and .25" thick. i will then be putting the Honda cap in the middle. since there is a chance that moisture or crud could accumulate in the center I will use nylon spacers to push it off the wheel about .125". oh and to mount i will drill 4 holes around the center and drill 4 respective holes (tap them too) into the steel wheel and mount with stainless steel security screws. awesomeness!

and mount disc to the raised area surrounding the hub

Old 06-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Sounds like its working out very nicely for you.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Car looks great - and the gauges make driving for MPG a fun game, don't they! (What were you driving before?)

More details on those wheel discs would be nice, too -- eg. where'd they come from?

Welcome to the forum.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Car looks great - and the gauges make driving for MPG a fun game, don't they! (What were you driving before?)

More details on those wheel discs would be nice, too -- eg. where'd they come from?

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! If it weren't for the gauges my car would be half as fun. I swear though...my first 30 min behind the wheel I felt like I was going to hit someone. But I've got it figured out now. Prior to this I drove (still have) a 2000 Subaru Outback. I honestly never cared about fuel economy...just sped along and was happy till I took an honest look at my gas mileage. I was getting 24-25 combined 90/10 going on average 75-85 on my daily commute. It was until I calculated annual gas costs and veh condition that I decided I could do better. I calculated my purchase will "pay off" in about 4 years versus keeping my Subaru. Also I couldn't for the life of my force myself to drive economically until I had a car that wanted me to drive as such!

Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

now the wheel discs...i took a good look at the stock wheels and noticed that at the highest points of the wheel it is level all the way across (if that makes sense...from lip to that raised around around the hub). so i thought great...ill get some round pizza pans and make some wheel covers because well I hate the stock hubcaps. but then I started thinking about paint...road debris...durability and thought that thin gauge metal may not be the best option. then i literally searched "16 plastic disc" on ebay and found someone (carlsievering) who is selling exactly what I am looking for and the cost is 17.00 a piece (have almost 100 for sale). i also really like the idea of having a hole in the middle to break up the "flatness" (it also may be large enough so that the lugs will be completely exposed) and it also would allow me to use a classic Honda wheel center cap. i also thought that 1 lb 9oz is not too heavy either. i will probably order the discs in a day or two and then once i get my new tires in July ill put it all together. all that being said...it will look awesome (to me)...and well unique and not like a pizza pan or moons!

nm about being able to access lug nuts...they will be covered over but the center cap will be visible which was most important to me!

Last edited by theplaidmutt; 06-03-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

quick "mock up"... green represent where the Honda wheel center cap would be. the black dots represent the bolt locations. should be real simple. just have to imagine a steel wheel underneath all of that. if someone is good with adobe...give it a shot!

Reply  Post New Thread