Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
nose height from ground ~ best intake location

I ordered the hdpe plastic linked by The Donkey CRX and cut a 14x90" piece to use for the nose. The plastic is not strong enough to stay out on it's own, so I've screwed 8 pvc T extensions to the bottom of the bumper, to keep the plastic out at a slant back nose angle. A view from the side looks like this /\ with the / being the nose, the \ being the bumper, and the bottom breathing part the space in between them.

The distance from the bumper to the plastic is 4" in the middle, tapering to 0 at the sides, with 7" between each of the Ts, leaving about 100 sq inches of bottom breathing area between the bumper and the nose. I should have photos by the end of the week. In the meantime, please let me know what you think.

Should the 100 sq in bottom area (4x the area that is usually in the front) provide enough cooling for the radiator, without drilling a hole in the front of the plastic? Will the bottom open space /\ create a significant drag? Thanks

Last edited by j12piprius; 05-22-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
I think we're going to need those pics, drawing or re explained
Does your car have an air dam at the bottom of the radiator from the factory?
I'm running a full grill block, factory air dam, partially blocked by an air dam at the edge of the bumper. I sized the gap under the bumper by driving on a very hot day watching my SG, increasing the width of the gap until I stayed at the tstat's regulating temp at highway speeds.
Personally I think making a front pan, and small grill opening is probably better than my current setup
Old 05-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

drawing

Here's a drawing. There is no air dam.
A = the plastic wrap around nose;
B = the bumper
C = air flow from front of car to radiator

A is 6 inches above the ground, and B is 8 inches above the ground. There are 4 inches of space between the bumper bottom and the nose, which tapers to 0 inches at the sides (in front of the wheels), resulting in 100 square inches of space along the bottom length between the nose and the bumper. This is plenty of space, but there is no direct force to the radiator from in front of the car.

1) Should the large opening be plenty to provide good airflow to the radiator?
2) Should I close off the sides of the opening, so it's just open right in front below of the radiator?
3) Might the 4" wide opening create drag, even though it is perpendicular to the airflow?

Last edited by j12piprius; 05-20-2014 at 08:19 PM..
Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Not what I had a mental photo of, but its still interesting....

Last edited by Cobb; 05-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Fix link to photo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
mcrews (05-22-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
bottom breather

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Here's a drawing. There is no air dam.
A = the plastic wrap around nose;
B = the bumper
C = air flow from front of car to radiator

A is 6 inches above the ground, and B is 8 inches above the ground. There are 4 inches of space between the bumper bottom and the nose, which tapers to 0 inches at the sides (in front of the wheels), resulting in 100 square inches of space along the bottom length between the nose and the bumper. This is plenty of space, but there is no direct force to the radiator from in front of the car.

1) Should the large opening be plenty to provide good airflow to the radiator?
2) Should I close off the sides of the opening, so it's just open right in front below of the radiator?
3) Might the 4" wide opening create drag, even though it is perpendicular to the airflow?
It would be good to locate a Pontiac Trans Am Firebird or Corvette to inspect their system
*There needs to be a deep air dam directly below the inlet at 'B'.
*The 'belly' of the nose leading to the inlet opening should be even with the top of the air dam.There must be a section of 'belly' from your stagnation point leading towards the inlet.You can't just have the angled panel.It will cause complete flow separation with no re-attachment anywhere near the inlet.'A' will need to be a small nose section to allow the flow to get setup for the inlet.
*Flow 'C' will travel below your new nose,curve gently upwards along a large radius'd duct wall,contained within side walls.
*The opening leads to an airtight duct leading up to the radiator core,aided by the new air dam below.

Last edited by aerohead; 05-20-2014 at 06:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (05-24-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It would be good to locate a Pontiac Trans Am Firebird or Corvette to inspect their system
*There needs to be a deep air dam directly below the inlet at 'B'.
*The 'belly' of the nose leading to the inlet opening should be even with the top of the air dam.There must be a section of 'belly' from your stagnation point leading towards the inlet.You can't just have the angled panel.It will cause complete flow separation with no re-attachment anywhere near the inlet.'A' will need to be a small nose section to allow the flow to get setup for the inlet.
*Flow 'C' will travel below your new nose,curve gently upwards along a large radius'd duct wall,contained within side walls.
*The opening leads to an airtight duct leading up to the radiator core,aided by the new air dam below.
Aero is right, the trans ams, fieros all had an air dam there. I have an opening similar to you, it won't do anything. Need some high pressure to encourage it to go through the radiator. You can reduce this by increasing the low (much like the trans am).

Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

thanks for the feedback

If I understand correctly, the flow at C will just go straight back, not up,
not provide cooling to the radiator, and neither will the opening cause any drag.

I was hoping to avoid a hole in the plastic, but that looks to be the easier route.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
reply to John

John, Just wanted to let you know what I did before I added adjustable shutters and a belly pan to my red VX.

The VX has a grill opening that is 5 " X 24". When I added the 14" air dam that covered the grill opening I drilled 4 - 4 inch holes in the air dam directly in front of the grill opening. 2 in front of the radiator and 2 in front of the A/C condenser. In the winter I covered the 2 holes in front of the A/C condenser with Gorilla duct tape and only left the 2 - 4" holes in front of the radiator.

I never had any issues with radiator cooling or A/C with this arrangement during the 18 months it was on the car.

It is my opinion that you will need some type of cooling holes directly in front of the radiator and A/C condenser for them to operate properly in all weather conditions.

Hope this info helps.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
- Espresso art -

We all of heard or seen a louver type design , I would suggest making yours in that fashion , with the adjustments made with spacers.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

adjustable shutters

The donkey CRX, thanks for sharing your ideas. How did you drill the holes?

I'm planning to cut a 4" diameter hole with a square in the middle, and am adding
adjustable shutters to the list. I don't use a/c, so am not putting any holes on that side.

Reply  Post New Thread