Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
There is a lot of damage that is still affecting life in the Gulf. There is still damage from the Exxon Valdez spill.

I stand by my words.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (05-07-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #122 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Good point Arragonis.

It was also Historic in being rapidly contained and well cleaned up.

Hmm, another reason to always have your towel with you........
The beaches are cleaned up but the ocean itself wasn't cleaned up. Those who fish the gulf have had much more meager catches, ever since the oil spill.

One environmental group is pursuing further action because there are 100's of miles of dead tar balled ocean floor (the stuff is alive above, but the floor itself is still dead in many areas)

The levels of lead, arsenic, mercury and other goodies has been elevated since the spill and will likely stay elevated for a decade or more in the region. The larger fish and bottom feeders are most affected by this and show the highest levels of contamination.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (05-07-2011), NeilBlanchard (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #123 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The beaches are cleaned up but the ocean itself wasn't cleaned up. Those who fish the gulf have had much more meager catches, ever since the oil spill.

One environmental group is pursuing further action because there are 100's of miles of dead tar balled ocean floor (the stuff is alive above, but the floor itself is still dead in many areas)

The levels of lead, arsenic, mercury and other goodies has been elevated since the spill and will likely stay elevated for a decade or more in the region. The larger fish and bottom feeders are most affected by this and show the highest levels of contamination.
My point was mainly about having a go at another member over their description of the event, but this posting seems to summarise the longer lasting effects better.

Another 'benefit' was that this happened so far out at sea, but that is countered a little by the fact we have to go that far to get the oil we need now.

My one quibble with this ? BP are getting it in the neck here - and I think some of this is deserved and some is a little political - for example the record fine handed to it over an older event PW linked to. ALL oil companies are polluters to some degree, and they are also engaged in corrupt and unethical practices with a lot of the nastiest people on the planet. This one (BP) is getting a kicking, at the same time Exxon, Shell and all the others are getting a free pass.

EDIT - I do not tap this as the 'B' stands for British. BP is no more British than Obama.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #124 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I stand by my words.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #125 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
EDIT - I do not tap this as the 'B' stands for British. BP is no more British than Obama.
I remember BP saying that "BP now stands for Beyond Petroleum". This was somewhere in the late 1990's/early 2000's, when BP (as did Shell and few other oil companies) started buying RE businesses, like PV producers.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 05-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #126 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I remember BP saying that "BP now stands for Beyond Petroleum". This was somewhere in the late 1990's/early 2000's, when BP (as did Shell and few other oil companies) started buying RE businesses, like PV producers.
You are probably correct.

My tappage was mainly directed at the political language expressed at 'BP' for the spill, it was kind of like we in Britain were to blame, and were profiting from the oil and didn't care about those folks in the gulf.

But actually we had little involvement at all and it was invoked so Obama and co could claim it was a 'furren' company doing all the damage. BP is as much US owned (by those people who provide your pensions and health insurance etc.) as it is British, like most oil companies.

It was a minor issue in the great scheme of things - especially the disaster itself - but one where politicians proved what w*nkers they can be.