Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Restore oil additive...

Yea...I know additives don't work.

I usually use some type of additive in my oil plus having used synthetic oils at various times. Other than use of a series of teflon...militec...and moly additives every 3K in a car (8 to 10% gain)...I've never really documented an mpg gain...EXCEPT for now.

Someone else with the same vehicle had posted that he saw a gain by using Restore...so I decided to give it a go. Difference is that his wagon burns more oil than mine...a qt each 1500 miles vs 5 to 7K miles for my car....so I didn't really expect it to work.

So on my last tank I got almost 37 mpg...vs a previous summer best of around 35 mpg. Also had a bit of a choke problem...and it was definitely filled to the point of some on the ground...so I'm expecting 38 mpg eventually. But definitely a 6% or so gain from best mpg so far.

If anyone tries this...you should expect to see solid mpg results on the second tank. I don't trust seat of the pants so much...but I do believe the engine runs smoother and I can accelerate using less throttle than before.

I expect to keep using it...but will probably use only 1/2 can each time after the first oil change...7K between changes. Or...if you change oil every 3K...maybe a can every other oil change?

Here are some links and text posted for your benefit...so you don't have to Google...I've also bolded some important points:

Restore Engine Restorer

“ENGINE RESTORER” IS NOT AN OIL ADDITIVE According to the company... each can of Engine Restorer contains billions of CSL micro-particles in suspension in a neutral motor oil of high quality. Each CSL micro-particle contains Lead (40%) dispersed uniformly throughout a Copper (60%) matrix with Silver.

Engine Restorer is added to the motor oil but it is not an oil additive. An oil additive, by definition, is a product which is added to automotive oil in the crankcase with the intended purpose of modifying the oil characteristics such as viscosity, detergency, or foaming. Engine Restorer is not an oil additive in this sense. It is rather an engine additive because it acts on the engine itself playing a double role. The CSL particles fill scratches, grooves and other worn out areas between the piston and the cylinder wall in the engine. The CSL particles provide maximum natural lubrication due to their percentage of lead, even under very high temperature.

The action of RESTORE reduces friction and rebuilds metal surfaces, which restores lost power and reduces oil & fuel consumption. It works effectively wherever friction and wear cut scratches in metal surfaces, such as cylinder walls, crankshafts and bearings. Ya, Right! And I have a bridge for sale too!

Engine restore Does it work?

I beg to differ with this statement. My senior year in highschool, I did an "experiment" for a 4-H project to see whether or not some of these so-called snake oil additives did any good. I took a well used 3.5hp briggs motor, pulled it apart and photographed both the cylinder walls and piston skirts. I also measured compression, and did a "seat of my pants" power feeling on my old go-cart. I poured in a measured amount of Engine Restore, keeping engine restore/engine oil ratios the same. I ran the engine for 40 (I figured 2000 miles for a conservative oil change, 2000 miles/60 mph average= 40 hours.) hours at varying RPMs, shut it down and did compression tests again. It had jumped amazingly, and I changed oil, added the same amount of engine restore, and repeated the 40 hour engine run. I measure compression, more increase was noted, and I put the engine back on the old go-cart. Even for a small 3.5hp briggs, I noticed an increase in power. To not be biased, I used a friend who did not know about the test, and he noted the increase in performance as well. Again I disassembled the engine, photographed the cylinder walls and piston skirts again, and they were also notable smoother. Though I understand that a small Briggs engine is much different that a small block in size and strength, the components are similar as is the general function. I received a blue ribbon at the state fair, and have become a believer of the stuff.

Hi Joe, just to correct your post. RESTORE works great with turbo engines. we have smoked the wheels of our super-chipped Volvo 740 turbo at the Eastcoast Extreme Bentwater drag racing for several years with RESTORE in the engine and it just gets faster and faster. It is my daily drive year round too. thanks.

I have used it several times and have only had good results. I used to work as a shuttle driver and we used Ford E350 vans, when the mileage started getting around 200k I would start to put Restorer in them. Every engine I put it in "seemed" to have more power. My partner and I would both notice a 1-2 mpg increase in gas mileage when it was used. This was noted over and over, not a one time thing.

I've used it in many engines from my 1939 Ford/Ferguson 9N tractor to my newest vehicle. The 9N tractor reqiured non detergent oil which is impossible to find so I started using detergent oil & it started smoking soon after. So I tried Restore and it stopped smoking. I've used it in my engines for at least 15yrs. I have found that if you add it to the oil and immediatly run the engine up to Operating Temp. Then let the Eng. cool & not use it for a week or 2 it works amazingly better. Why? The only reason I can think of is it adhears & penetrates the cylinder walls scratches more deeply. The 1st time I tried this with the 9N I let it sit for about 4 weeks after adding the blue goo. Damn thing hasn't smoked or used oil since. I haven't notice any gumming or sludge in my engines. They seem cleaner from less blowby. I say if it's a high mileage tired ride try it. If it doesn't work try a Rering kit.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Restore RES60019 Engine Restorer 8 Cylinder. 19 oz.

Question: Why are otherwise intelligent people interested in getting inside their car's engine and somehow affecting it?

Answer: I have no idea.

Without a doubt, this is a super hi-performance oil additive! The only difference between this 8 cylinder product and the 6 and 4 cylinder products is the amount of fluid product you get. This 8 cylinder product is 19 oz., the 6 cyl. product is 15 oz. and the 4 cyl. product is 11 oz.. From what they tell me [on their website-[RESTOREUSA.COM] and from my experience, the fluid volume is the only difference between the products by cylinders.

WHAT THE PRODUCT CLAIMS:

Regardless of the size of the can, this product claims to be the only product that contains "RESTORE'S" proprietary CSL formula. They claim that "CSL" possesses unique properties that will "fill in" and "seal micro-leaks" in the "cylinder wall" of your engine and mine. They claim the effect of sealing these "micro-leaks" is the elimination of "blow-by", higher engine compression and more apparent horsepower that we can feel.

WHAT I HAVE NOTICED AFTER 3 YEARS OF INTENSIVE USE:

After years of using oil additives which increase viscosity and the risk of blowing oil seals in the engine [I've done that.], I tried this product. It does not increase viscosity, but it does increase the gas mileage [10-12%] and the performance of my 1998 V6 Plymouth Voyager which now has almost 140,000 miles on it. Also, it quieted the noisy lifters and made the engine much easier to turn over on very cold mornings.

During the summers, I do use a viscosity-increasing additive ["NO SMOKE"] which I find to be better at reducing the engine's tendency to burn a little oil [quart every 2,000 miles], especially at high speeds for sustained periods. Having used this product for several years I do feel more comfortable using "Restore" in colder weather as I have noticed a greater tendency to use oil during the summer with it and the faint smell of exhaust fumes if our back van windows are open when we first start the engine. On the plus side, I have also noticed that the benefit of using this treatment lasts at least several months after running the car without it, and I gauge this by the decline in gas mileage that typically does not occur for at least 4,000 miles of driving without it.

Having said that, "Restore" increases gas mileage and is better in cold weather in every way. Now that Old Man Winter is nearly here again, I'll be repurchasing the little silver can very soon. Brrr!

[I have NO affiliation with any product or company]

full disclosure: I do own stock in the company that makes Restore and get $.05 every time a can is sold.

Juuuuust kidding....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I used it once in one of my other 200k+ mile 6000 wagons. I added it at an oil change, same oil as always. After about 500 miles into the change, I definitely noticed an increase in power. Then after about 2000 or 2500 miles into the change, the gains went away fairly quickly. I never used it again because I felt guilty about dumping that blue goo into my engine.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jalilah - '07 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
90 day: 40.57 mpg (US)
If you put lead in your oil, when you suck oil vapors through your PCV valve, and it burns, and goes through your cat, it will poison the catalyst and destroy it in quick order.

I would not recommend using this product on any car that will have to pass an emissions test at some point.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
the additibves leave from whence they came. this means fouled plugs. I tried it on a v8 years ago. it is miraculous summers, and shrinking pukers in the cool wetahers. A true chamber and walls and bearing surfaces is the only way to stay real..and lastly, what happens to particles that do stay in thier place with thousands and millions of carbon generating fires? It takes the cylinder heads with it eventually..and if you still use EGR in your emissions. lookout, here comes nuclear...
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I want to add it to my cereal, and especially my shampoo.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I couldn't help but notice that you (OP) say you found gains from using Teflon additives in your oil.

Maybe this is the time to point out that DuPont (the maker of Teflon) specifically maintains no knowledge of any advantages from using their product in motor vehicle engines.

Quote:
Currently, the most common and popular oil additives on the market are those that contain PTFE powders suspended in a regular, over-the-counter type, 50-rated petroleum or synthetic engine oil. PTFE is the common abbreviation used for Polytetrafloeraethylene, more commonly known by the tradename "Teflon," which is a registered trademark of the DuPont Chemical Corporation. Among those oil additives we have identified as containing PTFE are: Slick 50, Liquid Ring, Lubrilon, Microlon, Matrix, Petrolon (same company as Slick 50), QMl, and T-Plus (K-Mart). There are probably many more names in use on many more products using PTFE. We have found that oil additive makers like to market their products under a multitude of "private brand" names.
More information, including a full report:Snake Oil! - Is That Additive Really A Negative? .: Articles

Futher information:
The Science of it All Part II

Last edited by Christ; 07-01-2009 at 04:54 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-12-2017)
Old 07-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Driving the TurboWeasel

I've had excellent results using Auto-RX. That and Techron are the only additives to do exactly what they claim to do in my experience.

Auto-RX is a lot of esters that very slowly dissolve gunk and varnish without harming your seals. I can vouch for it, having used it in the past on my Buick, where it stoppered up a seeping valve cover gasket nicely.

After doing the math with a 0.05 gph drop, I figured out that it's saving me about $30 in gas (assuming 0.05 gph less gas used, 15 hours/tank, 20 tanks in 7k miles, and gas at $2.50 a gallon) at every 7k mile oil change. With a dose running about $4, that's still money in my pocket.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
I've had excellent results using Auto-RX. That and Techron are the only additives to do exactly what they claim to do in my experience.

Auto-RX is a lot of esters that very slowly dissolve gunk and varnish without harming your seals. I can vouch for it, having used it in the past on my Buick, where it stoppered up a seeping valve cover gasket nicely.

After doing the math with a 0.05 gph drop, I figured out that it's saving me about $30 in gas (assuming 0.05 gph less gas used, 15 hours/tank, 20 tanks in 7k miles, and gas at $2.50 a gallon) at every 7k mile oil change. With a dose running about $4, that's still money in my pocket.
Auto-RX also doesn't make ridiculous claims as to it's performance, and dosen't pose a risk to emissions systems. Auto-RX for an engine makes sense.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Anyone seen that "Guaranteed to pass" stuff? I've never played with it, b/c I don't need emissions inspection yet.

Other than that, I use SeaFoam (petroleum distillates) and Marvel Mystery Oil.

MMO is one that most people consider a joke, because it feels "gritty". That's because it is. It's machine oil with a crystalline polishing compound added. It's designed to polish metals in your engine, to help reduce friction.

When I get a new vehicle, I always change the oil, and use a quart of MMO. Over the next couple weeks, the MMO burns out, and I add oil every time it's low to keep the oil volume up.

I don't have empirical data showing what works and what doesn't, etc... all I have is "I saw it" evidence, which is good enough for me. I've been using it for years, and it doesn't cost that much, so it's not something I'm worried about, really. I also use it to clean gum/varnish and sludge build up, so even if it does nothing for the engine, it at least cleans it out!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Anyone seen that "Guaranteed to pass" stuff? I've never played with it, b/c I don't need emissions inspection yet.

Other than that, I use SeaFoam (petroleum distillates) and Marvel Mystery Oil.

MMO is one that most people consider a joke, because it feels "gritty". That's because it is. It's machine oil with a crystalline polishing compound added. It's designed to polish metals in your engine, to help reduce friction.

When I get a new vehicle, I always change the oil, and use a quart of MMO. Over the next couple weeks, the MMO burns out, and I add oil every time it's low to keep the oil volume up.

I don't have empirical data showing what works and what doesn't, etc... all I have is "I saw it" evidence, which is good enough for me. I've been using it for years, and it doesn't cost that much, so it's not something I'm worried about, really. I also use it to clean gum/varnish and sludge build up, so even if it does nothing for the engine, it at least cleans it out!

The Garuanteed to pass stuff works. It stops oil from burning off, thus lowering your HC component in your exhuast. That lets the cat burn other stuff better. It's the only way we could get my dads old 1994 Chevy Astro van to pass.