Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Spectre Aftermarket Intake OR Stock EX Intake???
Spectre Aftermarket 0 0%
Stock EX 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
Opinion Needed

Ok ladies and gents. I'm not a noob ecomodder, so don't think about flaming me! My lovely VX came with a Spectre aftermarket intake tube and filter: typical ricey crap. The problem is that this setup is obviously not tuned for my desires. As an ecomodder I want that FE and low RPM power. Duhhh!
Now then... tracking down a stock VX intake system has been quite difficult. I have even tried calling guys from the Civic VX for sale ads, to see if they'd like to trade me intakes. No luck. However, a friend of mine just bought a nice (expensive) full cold air intake system for his 5th gen Civ EX and is willing to trade me his stock for my cruddy set up. Not sure why he wants it, maybe just doesn't want to give me his stock intake straight out...
To the point! Should I go more stock and use the EX intake at least? It's bigger than stock VX tube but smaller than the Spectre. I figure it'd at least be closer to proper tube length and may help with lower RPM power. I think the biggest benefit of this swap will truly be that I will once again have a filter box, hence allowing me to run a real WAI.

[ACHV ALL]
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The EX unit should serve well. I don't think the tube diameter will make much difference unless it is small enough to offer more restriction when the throttle plate is open, mainly at WOT. I think the shape and length stuff is really about the intake manifold, not the tube into the filterbox. The main issue with the tube into the filterbox seems to be noise and whether it draws hotter (less dense) air or colder (more dense) air. That's my understanding. Others?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModdingRealist

The Blue Lagoon - '92 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The EX unit should serve well. I don't think the tube diameter will make much difference unless it is small enough to offer more restriction when the throttle plate is open, mainly at WOT. I think the shape and length stuff is really about the intake manifold, not the tube into the filterbox. The main issue with the tube into the filterbox seems to be noise and whether it draws hotter (less dense) air or colder (more dense) air. That's my understanding. Others?
I thought I read that the length of the tube LEAVING the box can effect where intake air wave lengths meet. Essentially an engineered way to "tune" an intake. Welp, I think I'll give it a shot. Just have to tell my friend that he needs to agree to give me my **** back if I see adverse effects on FE :-D

[ACHV ALL]
Reply  Post New Thread