Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
naturalextraction

Power, economy, on available fuels

Some of you are familiar with my Sv650 and some of the build of that comes from what I've learned on this prototype. It's been awhile to get to this point although I haven't worked on it steadily over the years. I'm finally starting to realize the goals I set fourth in theory and have made my way through numerous experiments and have gotten to the point where it's in the video. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions but I wont be able to answer any till after a lecture I'm giving for some M.E. students at the University of France. Not going there this time but need lots to prepare. There are two different links here.
https://vimeo.com/107545154

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naturalextraction For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-01-2014), pgfpro (01-01-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
I'm sure there will be plenty of questions but I wont be able to answer any till after a lecture I'm giving for some M.E. students at the University of France.
My first question is:

Is it really wise to post a youtube video of yourself hauling ass past a car way over the speed limit across a double yellow line? Nice boost through the construction zone too, btw!

A guy got himself killed last week a block from my house driving like just that!

How am I supposed to "Look twice for motorcycles" if you already passed me on the first look?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
My first question is:

Is it really wise to post a youtube video of yourself hauling ass past a car way over the speed limit across a double yellow line? Nice boost through the construction zone too, btw!

A guy got himself killed last week a block from my house driving like just that!

How am I supposed to "Look twice for motorcycles" if you already passed me on the first look?
Of course it's not wise, but riding a motorcycle isn't wise, probably be safer to not take a car either and just stay home...
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
We might not be as likely to think slow drivers are idiots as George Carlin, but most sportbike riders will appear to be maniacs. This looks like pretty normal sportbike riding to me. The double yellow is typically very conservative when driving anything that does 0-60 in under 3sec, but can't argue with the legality of crossing a double yellow, or speeding. I didnt worry much about being seen, I was usually busy planning my escape assuming I wasn't seen. Once you start speeding you are invisible ahead of the distance you would cover at the speed limit. A driver at a crossroad may see you, estimate how much time they have to clear the intersection based on your location at the moment they looked, not perceiving your speed.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
Of course it's not wise, but riding a motorcycle isn't wise, probably be safer to not take a car either and just stay home...
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
We might not be as likely to think slow drivers are idiots as George Carlin, but most sportbike riders will appear to be maniacs. This looks like pretty normal sportbike riding to me. The double yellow is typically very conservative when driving anything that does 0-60 in under 3sec, but can't argue with the legality of crossing a double yellow, or speeding. I didnt worry much about being seen, I was usually busy planning my escape assuming I wasn't seen. Once you start speeding you are invisible ahead of the distance you would cover at the speed limit. A driver at a crossroad may see you, estimate how much time they have to clear the intersection based on your location at the moment they looked, not perceiving your speed.
Ya - that's why drivers love sport bikes...

And that's why your chances of getting killed on a motorcycle increase significantly when you are speeding.

I don't consider the SV a sport bike, and I have 2 of them.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
I didnt worry much about being seen, I was usually busy planning my escape assuming I wasn't seen.
Not seen by anyone other than an entire planet of people with an internet connection, lol . . . .

Old 10-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Team Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Not seen by anyone other than an entire planet of people with an internet connection, lol . . . .
That part was in reference to while currently riding.
Of course it's never wise to post anything that could incriminate yourself. You would also think that Facebook and Twitter would have almost no pressence, as sharing an unpopular opinion could affect a persons employment.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sportbike or bicycles we all are operating vehicles and need to be thoughtful of others. Forty years without a personal injury accident has required discipline and occasionally a very busy angel!

So let's hear about the fuel selection system for the net 18:1 compression.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
naturalextraction

So wow, 230+ view so far and what I've incurred are incredibly unproductive comments. I wont even go into the psychology behind them as there is no valid point to it. Thanks to a couple inputs there to at least somewhat defend the total irrelevancy of the comment, truly only validating and relevant to the one(s) making such comments. I truly expected more curiosity from this forum which I haven't been on in a while. If your not asking relevant questions your not learning anything. Or at least trying. Just to finish, I'm sure the posters feeling offended will re-validate their negative observations sighting the positive in them. Of course nothing related to the technology implemented within the video unless to further cast negative-isms. To that I value my time to no further discuss or get involved in such banter.

To GRANT-53 who is the only one with any curiosity related: That compression is obtained at my 10psig and which is sustained for only a couple of minutes at any given time usually. Even at 6-7psig which run at more often, I can sustain for fairly indefinitely comfortably which translates it's effective 15-16:1. The static compression on these engines are 11.5:1. That should provoke the question how on pump gas, which I can run with 86 octane as well but often run 90 (that's all that's available here. Other places can see as high as 92) This is on the SV by the way. That 18:1 is the effective compression it reaches at those boost levels and has now, recently reached over 30K miles with the turbo. Hope that answers your question.

The Yamaha's engines static is 9.5:1 which is why I can run 15psig sometimes 20. But that's to high for it's components or at least should be. Amazingly I've run those little engines for over 35K at those levels with 0 problems. I'm amazed at the integrity of it's components but wont push to find catastrophic failer. Once tuned specifically how I want it to, it should be able to obtain 100mpg driving at a "normal" speed.

Good day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naturalextraction For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-13-2014), pgfpro (01-01-2015)
Old 10-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Team Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalextraction View Post
So wow, 230+ view so far and what I've incurred are incredibly unproductive comments.
Linking to the build, or putting this as a post in a build thread probably would have helped. Without being familiar with the build, this by itself, is a quick intro, a video of a guy riding a bike, and very limited info
Old 10-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
gil
EcoModding Lurker

The Drift - '85 Toyota Corolla GTS
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)

!Rally - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
90 day: 27.68 mpg (US)

Cinnamon - '13 Honda PCX 150
90 day: 75.86 mpg (US)
Thanks for posting such a impressive project. Turbocharging a carbureted engine is a hard thing to accomplish successfully. One of the last things I would like to do to my future aerobike is a turbo. Seeing other success is encouraging and insightful. Do you have any more specifications on how you turbocharged your bike? My bike is a 250cc, so I would need a really small turbo. What size is your burbo? Hybrid? It looks like its the right size by the response of it as the engine speed increases. Seems very responsive from the video.

Your other projects are impressive, especially the use of diesel in a gasoline motorcycle engine.

On a side note. You should go to a track day and test your bike in a safer environment.
I have attended a few with my car. It's a great learning experience. I feel more confident driving my car at high speeds now. I was able to determine the effectiveness
of a front lip on the car, it understeers less in the big wide corners.

Be safe out there.
Gil

Reply  Post New Thread