Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

HCH1 Civic Manual IMA Control & Battery Protector

Quite a few of you will know I produce a Manual IMA control device (IMAC&C) for the G1 Insight which is available in the UK/Europe.

However I now also produce a much smaller and simpler device for the HCH1 Civic Hybrid which is available worldwide and allows manual control of assist or regen and has some new IMA battery protection features.

Manual IMA control can help you eke out the charge to your best advantage and adds another fun dimension to driving the car. It can give you a significant mpg boost as you can keep in lean burn longer and use an extra bit of assist to get over a hill rather than dropping out of LB by pressing the throttle.

You can cycle the battery up and down between the MCM limits by commanding assist or regen to overide the car's commands. So you can use assist until the battery is exhausted, then use regen until it's full again and rinse and repeat if desired. Exercisng the battery like this especially when combined with grid charging could get you some capacity back.

The new (This week) battery protection features allow you to restrict charge or discharge current levels if you want to help prevent/reduce a tired battery suffering codes or failing all together.

Anyway there is a long thread about the development of the device on Insight Central and a few other bits and bobs like optional steering wheel mounted buttons to control the device if you want.

Imac&c hch1 civic - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum
HCH1 IMAC&C Steering Wheel Buttons - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

There are quite a few YT videos on my profile about the device and construction/assembly/use. Schematics and pics abound in the threads on IC. Search for "retepsnikrep hch1" on YT for the relevant videos.

$50 gets you the blank pcb and software to build your own.
$150 gets you a ready built/cased tested version and software.
Future software updates are FOC I charge for the system in order to fund further research into the cars and to help develop further gadgets, I'm not living on a tropical island siping cocktails on the proceeds unfortunately. Generally I buy extra test equipment with the monies. I think I have about 20 pcb's available if anyone want's one.

The installation is a doodle and only reqs 4 wires to be spliced into at the ECM behind the glove box on connector E. That's a 15 minute job. No rooting around in the IMA area behind the rear seats is reqd.

If you have any questions have a read of the threads and look at my videos, anything that isn't covered then fire away.

Have a good xmas.

Peter

PS I'm also working on my OBDIIC&C device to properly integrate with the HCH1, at the moment I do have some software running which gives the IMA/ECM basics and has the lean burn indicator etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAC&C 003.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	12068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAC&C 004.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	12069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAC&C_PCBINBOX.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	12070   Click image for larger version

Name:	12f683MiniHCH1IMAC&C.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	12074  

Last edited by retepsnikrep; 12-20-2012 at 02:53 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retepsnikrep For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-24-2012), IamIan (01-05-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

FWIW I have decided to reduce the price until the first batch of 20 pcb's has gone.

New price is

$50 for the pcb/sofware.
$150 for a built/cased unit inc pcb/software.

Happy Xmas
The Following User Says Thank You to retepsnikrep For This Useful Post:
Insight for life (12-20-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Development/install videos

YT videos on the HCH1 IMAC&C development/construction/install etc.

I hope these help.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ive been reading a lot of this and wondered if something is possible for the I2. Maybe a resistor matrix hack, a real time IMA voltage read out so you know if the pack is really full or empty and you use the hack to signal the pack is low or high to get more assist or regen when you want it or the opposite for when you dont.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No idea Cobb, but if you supply me with an I2 then I might do some basic research on one this comming year.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

At times Id consider an outright trade for a civic si.

Shame you live on the other side of the pond.

Ill look these threads up and see if anything looks possible.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Peter made a demo!

Imac&c hch1 civic - Page 37 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

Just gives you basic 1 click assist and regen, but you can play with that at no cost at all if you build yourself a breadboard version of the device. Note I used a 5-way switch from Radio Shack instead of the three separate buttons (didn't work very well), but here's mine from before he had the permanent circuit boards etched:

Not a super complicated device if I could figure it out this circuit diagram with no electronics experience at all except building an ice tube clock kit from Adafruit:

Parts list (Digikey) is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...lh5aWlJRFBac2c

Add that to a breadboarding kit from Radio Shack and you're all set to start playing with MIMA. Plus the parts you use in it can easily be reused if you decide to buy the silkscreened board/software. Again, what I did originally.

Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is this a stand alone device or does it require the odb2 cc meter as well for operation?

I started to read the thread, but lost interest quickly as it seemed the meter was required. I hadnt really had a chance to sit down and read through what the different mima connects to to cause assist vs regen and what the newer insight has that maybe tapped for similar results.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
It's standalone. The original software development was to try and use the serial connector on the OBDIIC&C to do this, but it turned out to be too noisy in there to work reliably.

So Peter broke it out into a separate board with a dinky little 8 pin PIC to run just this software and be powered by the nice clean 5V the ECM puts out.

It works just fine without the OBDIIC&C. But that gauge tells you so much more about what's actually going on vis-a-vis amps in/out and voltage sag that it makes things twice as useful (for instance, when you're assisting and regening bypassing the the ECM signals, the ECM is still controlling the dash regen/assist lights, meaning you don't know what's going on except a red/green LED in the IMAC&C box and your butt sensor).

Sam
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Why did I have to get an insight over an hch?

Reply  Post New Thread