Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #761 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

skeeterb:

You need to know how much POWER you're going to use. Knowing the Ah capacity of the cells is only part of the problem.

I can't post links, so google these:

evconvert.com/tools/evcalc/
evdl.org/uve/ev.html

The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
skeeterb (08-14-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #762 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaerin View Post
Unless I've missed something, I thought the Uprising controller was for Brushed DC, not BLDC or ACIM (Which is what this is meant for).
Yes, you are right.. Sorry about that.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #763 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

Quote:
Yes, you are right.. Sorry about that.
No worries!

Thanks for pointing it out, Anaerin.

Does anyone know if there are hardware changes on the board Paul is testing now vs the control board that is posted on the Wiki?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #764 (permalink)
OMG... It's SkeeterB!!!

Send a message via AIM to skeeterb Send a message via Yahoo to skeeterb
Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
skeeterb:

You need to know how much POWER you're going to use. Knowing the Ah capacity of the cells is only part of the problem.

I can't post links, so google these:

evconvert.com/tools/evcalc/
evdl.org/uve/ev.html
Thanks for the links. I have visited the first one before so I know a little about it, but some inputs puzzle me, but I think I know what they mean, but without full info about the car I want to convert, I can't put in that info without knowing what it is.
Not with a Bang
But with a Belch
BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRPPPPPPPP
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #765 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

I have a feeling this is OT; Does anyone know if there's a thread where people ask/answer these questions?

I'll be happy to help out; let's use the second link from the EVDL.
You probably have a number of candidate cars. Run the numbers for each car and compare the results. It'll help you choose a car.

Feel free to PM me; I'll attempt to answer any questions w/ some decent background in their importance.

Glad to see you're going fossil fuel free!
The Following User Says Thank You to e*clipse For This Useful Post:
skeeterb (08-15-2012)
Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #766 (permalink)
Permanent Apprentice

How's the project coming along? Any news?

How modular is the software? With FOC, it would be pretty easy to implement field weakening for IPM BLDC motors. According to Fran, it should be possible to alter or remove the flux estimator part of the program and provide a way to have a negative D value.

Thoughts?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #767 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. My name is Alex, from New York, USA.
Just finished catching up to the whole thread.
Awesome job Paul and the gang!

I am planning a conversion of a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro to electric. Bought a donor and a Baldor 20 HP motor. Em2515t.

First time doing anything like this, was inspired by Paul`s DC controller. Can't wait for a kit for AC.
If I don't covert it, that would be the first and last $x,xxx price range project my wife will ever let me do :-)
Someone in this thread mentioned rewiring AC motors for more speed/power at less Voltage, but the links are dead. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this information?
Also I got the motor upstate New York for basically scrap value, $125, they had more and also a 30 HP unit that weight 330lb for $150. If anyone needs the source let me know. All Baldor gold em series.

Thank you, keep up the awesome work.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #768 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
There's a bunch of work they did in Australia with rewinding motors for lower voltage, and then running them at higher rpm. I don't know where the site was though, but somebody around here must know.

Hi e*clipse, the control board/driver/power board works fine. I've tested all the safety features and the basic functionality with a basic V/Hz scheme at around 320v or so and they work as expected. I'm getting my bigger motor's post turned down to 1" this next week so I can finally fit an encoder on it. I've been waiting on them to get back to me about a special order for a 1.125" encoder, but they never did. Once the encoder is on, I can start testing the FOC code. It would be really easy to change things for Permanent magnet synchronous. It would be just a couple lines of code to allow for field weakening.
abelenkiy (09-04-2012), e*clipse (09-08-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #769 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Link to AEVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelenkiy View Post
Someone in this thread mentioned rewiring AC motors for more speed/power at less Voltage, but the links are dead. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this information?
I think this is the info you were talking about:

Changing an induction motor voltage - The Australian Electric Vehicle Asn - Page 1

I took apart one of my AC motors and was able to identify the coils using their instructions. I did not get the coils separated, or connected in parallel, or the motor oversped.

Interesting thread. I think that there is a project that is using that method to get extra power out of a quad electric conversion

Converting a gas Quad to AC - The Australian Electric Vehicle Asn - Page 1
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
abelenkiy (09-04-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #770 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
...the control board/driver/power board works fine. I've tested all the safety features and the basic functionality with a basic V/Hz scheme at around 320v or so and they work as expected. I'm getting my bigger motor's post turned down to 1" this next week so I can finally fit an encoder on it. I've been waiting on them to get back to me about a special order for a 1.125" encoder, but they never did. Once the encoder is on, I can start testing the FOC code...
Paul - This sounds encouraging, and very interesting

Does that mean that there is a mostly-debugged board and a Bill of Material? I've been waiting anxiously for your AC controller to go live and will have some time in November..

I have two shaft-mount encoders that could be useful, if that would speed things up for you. The first is 1024 ppr and the second is 1000 ppr. Both are mounted directly on the shaft but I'd have to dig them out to find out what the inside diameter of the rings are. I'd also need to look up the voltage used. I remember that A, Anot, B and Bnot are all available with some sort of 'home' signal once per revolution.

I'll post the info when I figure out where I put them

Reply  Post New Thread