Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #1271 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Exactly. Interestingly, 'heat rises' is an excellent argument for putting the heatsink on the bottom! This way, the warm air in the case will rise away from the MOSFETs, transferring heat to the top of the case.

Is anyone else as worried as I about the high voltage grounding out on the case? If I'm the only one…

Also, on the subject of jyanof's efficiency analysis, all I have to say is "yowzer!" You're giving the big boys a big ol' kick in the pants, MPaulHolmes!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #1272 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
What's this? A bunch of lousy blurry pictures! ya!

This is the new power section layout for 2 of the 3 controllers.

Now with "a bunch of random holes" hahaha!

Here's my very fancy technique of doing directions for milling.

I just upgraded to notebooks. Before I was writing in on the back of a grocery sack. Now we're talking the big time... oh ya...

I know, a bit wasteful on the PCB. Sorry about that. But I have a use for strips of the left over parts. I'll use it for isolation. I'll take pictures later. It works really well. It's what I used in the controller in my car.

P.S.: Missle Man! I'm not worried about grounding out. It's all good in the dang hood.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #1273 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Haha, full speed ahead then! I should hope that if you're DIYing your EV controller you'll use some common sense...

Looks good, and I'm beginning to see how it populates with parts! That's gonna be ace. It looks like you're doubling up on the capacitors, with two across each gap. Makes sense - it saves on cutting.

Keeping all the caps on the same side for this one? Good for you - symmetry is overrated.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #1274 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey all,
Just a thought, how about using a metal toolbox as a case.
Think about it, it is tough, pre-painted, offers the RFI shielding, hinged cover easily opened and securely closed, being a tool box it looks natural in the setting and being mild steel it would be easy to machine.
Another option would be electrical panel boxes (circuit breaker box) as seen in Lowes or Home Depot electrical department.
Real simple solutions for the DIY type that does not have a break or box bender.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #1275 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh look out now, another thought.
Instead of running the bus bars out of the box, run the cables into the box and use electrical clamps to grip the cables as they runi into the box. Just like they do when running cables into your circuit breaker box for home wiring. Why reinvent what electricians use every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerdave For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-11-2022)
Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #1276 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Interesting idea tinkerdave. Why stop there?

Why not have the controller mount directly onto the motor? Then you don't need to have the motor cables enter or exit the box.

Taking things a step further, why not just make the controller box really huge? Make it big enough to hold the car's batteries too. Then you don't have to run battery cables through the side of the box either. Everything is contained.

Paul is already taking control of the main contactor, might as well mount that inside the box too.

About the only thing left is the accellerator pot wires. Might as well mount the pot inside the controller box too.

Since we are going that far, why not just put wheels on the outside and mount the transmission inside the box too.

And a steering wheel.

And seats.

And brakes.

And tail lights.

And...
Old 05-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #1277 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That Big Gray Thing - '82 Mercury Capri
90 day: 19.33 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to wolfraven
Impressive work so far, took me like a week to read through this...and I'm liking it more and more, the further it progresses. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #1278 (permalink)
2004 Prius Owner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurryguy View Post
Taking things a step further, why not just make the controller box really huge? Make it big enough to hold the car's batteries too. Then you don't have to run battery cables through the side of the box either. Everything is contained.

And a steering wheel.

And seats.

And brakes.

And tail lights.

And...
Hey Slurryguy,

With everything in the controller box, it is a self contained car, That is an upgrade. DIY Electric Box Car

Don
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #1279 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurryguy View Post
Since we are going that far, why not just put wheels on the outside and mount the transmission inside the box too.

And a steering wheel.

And seats.

And brakes.

And tail lights.

And...
So basically it'll be an electric Popemobile without the Mercedes on the front...
Old 05-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #1280 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

China is Cheap!

Would love to help you guys in my ignorance any iq i could add would be negible but if your buying stuff from China let me know - i live there could be cheaper for me to get it for you and send it over. Just answer the thread. keep up the good work!!!!

Reply  Post New Thread