Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #6511 (permalink)
Dreamer
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 350
Thanks: 95
Thanked 210 Times in 150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
On the subject of extra features
I would like - Launch Control!!!
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by flores View Post
yeah!!!!!!!!
So that would be launch control on to win the race or launch control off to win the burnout competition.
Sounds like perfectly reasonable driving modes to me.


Last edited by Astro; 04-29-2014 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Forgot to partially quote duncan, oops.
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #6512 (permalink)
PaulH
 
MPaulHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maricopa, AZ (sort of. Actually outside of town)
Posts: 3,831

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanks: 1,367
Thanked 1,115 Times in 730 Posts
I'll be up in Oregon and Washington starting around the 2nd week of May for a couple weeks. My mother in law just found out she has thyroid cancer, so we are going to be up there to help with her foster kids, and other things since shes having surgery.

I'm waiting on a wire extender thing that was just ordered on friday so I can program the controller while assembled. Some things I just didnt notice until the whole thing was put together. So, I havent tested the code yet. So, my "ship by this week" may have been a little optimistic. Sorry about the delay!
__________________
kits and boards
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #6513 (permalink)
PLUGnGO
 
jedsmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Olympia Wa
Posts: 131
Thanks: 73
Thanked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I'll be up in Oregon and Washington starting around the 2nd week of May for a couple weeks. My mother in law just found out she has thyroid cancer, so we are going to be up there to help with her foster kids, and other things since shes having surgery.

I'm waiting on a wire extender thing that was just ordered on friday so I can program the controller while assembled. Some things I just didnt notice until the whole thing was put together. So, I havent tested the code yet. So, my "ship by this week" may have been a little optimistic. Sorry about the delay!
Take all the time you need - family is more important than hobbies.

If you get to Olympia and have time to kill let me know and I will buy you a beer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #6514 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saskatoon, canada
Posts: 1,455

ChargE (not yet running) - '92 Mazda MX6 LX
90 day: 33.89 mpg (US)

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR
Thanks: 740
Thanked 534 Times in 429 Posts
Launch Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
On the subject of extra features

I would like - Launch Control!!!

I currently measure motor speed (magnetic pick-up on motor shaft)
I intend to measure the front wheel speed

The intention is to compare both speeds and then reduce current until the rear wheels are doing 110% of the front wheel speeds

(110% is my first guess for an optimum launch)

I was going to do this crudely
have found a circuit that compares speeds - I now need to be able to reduce the throttle demand if the speed difference is too great
My first cut at a solution that is not going to bog down the motor controller would be to have 'launch control' done by another and separate controller.

Accelerator, cruise buttons, etc into something like a GEVCU and an analog output from the GEVCU to the motor controller.

This is flexible and enables many additional features that have not been discussed (or thought of) as yet.

Too bad it's an expensive solution ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #6515 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 309
Thanks: 70
Thanked 107 Times in 89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Sorry about the delay!
No problem, take your time..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #6516 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: seattle
Posts: 23
Thanks: 33
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
nw

we should powwow washington represent!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:44 AM   #6517 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: southland NZ
Posts: 153
Thanks: 38
Thanked 81 Times in 52 Posts
Hi Paul
Sorry to hear about your mother in law,

Changing the subject
I would prefer to stick with air cooling - so

Would it be possible to have an output that I could take to an LED on my dash that would tell me if the controller is downgrading due to temperature?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #6518 (permalink)
PLUGnGO
 
jedsmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Olympia Wa
Posts: 131
Thanks: 73
Thanked 75 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan View Post
....Would it be possible to have an output that I could take to an LED on my dash that would tell me if the controller is downgrading due to temperature?
Duncan
This is the solution I found for monitoring controller temperature:

White Universal Car Motor 20LED Analog 52mm Digital Water Temp Temperature Gauge | eBay

There are lots of automotive temperature gauges on Ebay, I picked this one because it works all the way down to 20 degC most of them only go down to 40.

To install I intend to drill a hole in the controller base plate near the IGBTs to fit the sensor tip.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #6519 (permalink)
PaulH
 
MPaulHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maricopa, AZ (sort of. Actually outside of town)
Posts: 3,831

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanks: 1,367
Thanked 1,115 Times in 730 Posts
Yes duncan, that would be no problem.
We will be leaving for washington tomorrow morning, expecting to arrive on friday. Im going to bring a controller in case theres time to meet with you jedsmd. You know, I hear olympia is actually pretty close to olympia. Haha.
There may be time to test it up there in your truck depending on when the surgery is planned for. We find that out today.
Lol 4x4ev.
__________________
kits and boards
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MPaulHolmes For This Useful Post:
duncan (05-06-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #6520 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 309
Thanks: 70
Thanked 107 Times in 89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsmd View Post
Duncan
This is the solution I found for monitoring controller temperature:

White Universal Car Motor 20LED Analog 52mm Digital Water Temp Temperature Gauge | eBay

There are lots of automotive temperature gauges on Ebay, I picked this one because it works all the way down to 20 degC most of them only go down to 40.

To install I intend to drill a hole in the controller base plate near the IGBTs to fit the sensor tip.
We could also include this in the web control panel I'm planning to make.. the controller already knows it's temp.. so no need for extra components there.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paul and Sabrina's Cheap 3 Phase Inverter (AC Controller) with Field Oriented Control MPaulHolmes Fossil Fuel Free 3471 06-01-2020 10:53 PM
Paul & Sabrina's Cheap EV Conversion MPaulHolmes Fossil Fuel Free 542 11-12-2016 09:09 PM
Three Dirt Cheap DIY Electric Cars - Part 5 SVOboy EcoModder Blog Discussion 0 12-12-2008 04:10 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com