Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #271 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Coldest day so far this season~40 degrees. It may be the cold that has brought my pack voltage down a 10th to 74.3v, with the lowest battery at 12.08v at the end of the day. Still pretty good though. I am anxious to throw the Exide Orbitals in, since they blow away every battery in my pack at 13.01v each as they sat from the auto parts store; of course, that doesn't mean they aren't totally dead, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My California grown butt is waiting until it warms back up later this week to do the exchange of the Orbitals...
Sounds like Ohio. Gets cold here at night(26-33Deg).Just for the fun of it, I checked the two batteries I have, and they are still holding 26.3v without charging. Want to pair them up with 9 8v Sams club batteries. I bet if you hook those orbitals up and give them a overnight charge, they would wake right up. Any thoughts on how to hook up a mechanical Tachometer? Wanted to see if I could use the pulley on the front shaft. Watt

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #272 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
Any thoughts on how to hook up a mechanical Tachometer?
Not a clue
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #273 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Not a clue
What I have heard about them is they work off of some type of sensor and a spinning magnet. Not an essential but it is good to know how fast the motor is turning. Something for research. Watt.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #274 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Whoooa! While there was a very moderate change in battery voltage due to temperature, the charging time has drastically increased! I've been pretty close to taking just over an hour to charge them every day for a couple weeks, tonight it's well over two hours with only one battery done! I know I sound like a broken record, but lead really confuses me I have a timer so I will (should have been) charging in the morning before going to work. It's moved up on the priority list as the weather is getting colder (with this occurance anyway)....
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #275 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt-a-mezz View Post
What I have heard about them is they work off of some type of sensor and a spinning magnet. Not an essential but it is good to know how fast the motor is turning. Something for research. Watt.
You've probably seen this, but Gavin Shoebridge wired up a tiny motor and used it to send a signal to the tach. I have no idea how he did it; that whole thing always confused me....

The Battery Racks
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #276 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. After he sold off his car, he didnt make anymore videos. Ben Nelson was working with some sort of heat tape under the batteries. Maybe a heat lamp would help? Watt.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #277 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I built a cheap little circuit using an infrared opto sensor to drive the tach. If the shaft is shiny you can just mark it with a permanent black marker. I'll have a few videos and pics at the weekend.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #278 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
I built a cheap little circuit using an infrared opto sensor to drive the tach. If the shaft is shiny you can just mark it with a permanent black marker. I'll have a few videos and pics at the weekend.
Thank you. would like to see them. Watt.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #279 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Have you played with the Orbital's yet?

Tomorrow is my EV-designated day in which I hope to put it all back together and drive it again!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #280 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSGC View Post
Have you played with the Orbital's yet?

Tomorrow is my EV-designated day in which I hope to put it all back together and drive it again!
No! I am SOOOO looking forward to seeing how well they do! I finally got around to putting them in tonight, so I'll find out tomorrow (I wasn't able to drive the EV today). I took out the two best batteries in my pack and put in the Orbitals- they are so much lighter it's great! I could actually see the difference in the height of the back after putting them in. Also, pack voltage went up about a volt; it's sitting at 77.6v. I like the fact that those batteries are sealed and can be put in any position- I might just see if I can rig some way to get all 6 under the hood. I have the rack for 4 batteries all cut and ready for welding. Then I can set up my blower, then my potbox Man, I can't believe I've been driving this thing with all that's still left to do.....

I sure am curious to see how great your car will perform when you get that Zilla!

Reply  Post New Thread