Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tungsten - '04 Dodge Dakota Sport
90 day: 20.52 mpg (US)
Personal Best

I recently recorded my best tank. Got 20.31mpg in my 2004 Dodge Dakota 4.7 4x4. I beat my long-term average of 18.30 by focusing on my speed and stepping up my coasting and adding in a little EOC. I had a short trip average of 20.7 before but this was over 330 miles. My next goal is 21mpg.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzno1 View Post
How did you do it?
Didn't he just say? By focusing on his speed, stepping up his coasting, and adding in a little EOC. ???

But seriously, 20+ is pretty good for a Dakota. My first wife and I had one for awhile, and it never did too well.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speed was probably the biggest factor. I used to run about 60-65mph on my 40 mile trip to work. Last week I rarely got above 55. Focused more on coasting and some EOC coming to red lights, stop signs, and any other opportunity I had. I am hoping some warmer weather this week will help get above 21mpg. Last week we had some sub 30F mornings.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I-40/75 is the worst for getting the speed down

I work in Ktown and used to live in Fountain City; I found that even though the I-640 exit was so tantalizingly close and convenient, it made no difference on my relatively short (at the time) commute. I figured out how to time the lights and make the 6 miles to work in about the same amount of time as interstate, even though my peak speed dropped way down.

At that time I was going about a month between fillups, not bad. I don't think a ride as long as yours is as likely to enjoy benefits like that, but you never know. Any viable alternate routes?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I live in Union county and work in Rockford. I have two routes that are the same 40-41 miles. In the morning I usually go down through Halls, Emory Road to I40 then it's interstate to Alcoa highway. If I don't need to go into Halls after work I take the interstate to Rutledge Pike and take it up to Blaine then cut over to Maynardville.

Since I have started monitoring my mileage more rigorously with Torque the last two weeks I have noticed better mileage on my way home. I just haven't figured out if it's the weather, which I suspect, or the route. As you know, it's 30° one morning 40-45° the next. I have gone the Rutledge Pike route some this week in the morning and the mileage was better one morning and the same the next. It was about 10° warmer one morning though.

Traffic is the same either route at 530am, better Rutledge Pike in the evening. I think that the temperature is my biggest variable effecting mileage. I think a grill block and/or WAI would help a lot. This week with the warmer temps I am getting better mileage per Torque.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I bet the Rutledge Pike route has something to do with it - if your day ends at about the same time as everybody else's, you're spending a loooot of time just poking along trying to get through Halls. It was bad enough just getting through Fountain City, I would always wait a couple of hours before going into Halls if I needed anything. The traffic was dreadful.

It was the experience with Fountain City and Halls traffic that trained me to always learn at least three routes to anywhere.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
dakota, mpg, pick-up