Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Picking the Best One

Hey guys--

Well, I've got two years and three months to decide what kind of car I'll next get. It'll be that long before I'm in the states again. I'm very excited to have the chance to ponder what will be best for such an extended period of time. As I know, the market will change in terms of used vehicles as well as new ones, but this is all part of the excitement.

I'd appreciate some of the senior members of the site subscribing to this thread so I can use it to ask questions and seek opinions as they come up.

For now, I'm stuck drivin' the family-mobile in Metropolitan Daegu.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

You should get a 2012 VW Touareg Hybrid. Its the perfect car for you.

Just look at the size of that hybrid badge.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
You should get a 2012 VW Touareg Hybrid. Its the perfect car for you.

Just look at the size of that hybrid badge.
haha

"Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do somethin' like this ^^...AND TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!!!"
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What part of the country will you be living in?
Rustbelt? Muggy must have AC? How much stock mpg do you want to start with?

Bottom line: What is your $ level you have in mind? So many variables!!!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I'm just a middle-aged member, not "senior," but in 2.5 years I think you'll see some of these Prius C2 models used at the dealers. There will probably be a used Volt or two (I'll be looking). And hopefully that Ford Fiesta 3-cylinder 1.0L turbo eco-boost will be on the market too (new, at least, if not 1 or 2 years used).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
What part of the country will you be living in?
Rustbelt? Muggy must have AC? How much stock mpg do you want to start with?

Bottom line: What is your $ level you have in mind? So many variables!!!
Larry, honestly have no clue where we'll be living in when we get back. That's the beauty of being gov't owned. Pretty much must have a/c (or at least the ability to use it when necessary) because of my youngster. would like to have a four door for the same reason, but i could live with a 2 door. As far as stock mpgs, the minimum I think is acceptable (on 5-19-2012) would be around 35/38 city/highway ISH. Budget at this time is around $8000, of course I would like to spend much less, but also as time goes on, the budget grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I'm just a middle-aged member, not "senior," but in 2.5 years I think you'll see some of these Prius C2 models used at the dealers. There will probably be a used Volt or two (I'll be looking). And hopefully that Ford Fiesta 3-cylinder 1.0L turbo eco-boost will be on the market too (new, at least, if not 1 or 2 years used).
Yea, I'm really excited about the direction cars are going. We're officially winning.

Right now:

I'm willing to sacrifice a few mpgs for personality and fun. I'm really liking the tercel 4wd wagon from the early 80s for several reasons. Hypermiling, I feel like I could get pretty good gas mileage, the car starting out is incredibly unique AND affordable, I'm able to work on simpler cars without all the computer shiz, and once the motor craps out I can try and do a swap of some sort, maybe hire out a garage to do an EV conversion or something.

See...the fact that I'd be paying very little for the car makes it very attractive. I'd be less hesitant to experiment with modifications and I'd also feel better about when something goes wrong with the car.

I'm very excited about inexpensive gas sippers from the 80s/90s, because they're relatively simple mechanically, easy (or cheap) to fix and I won't have to worry about messing it up.

I don't really drive all that much, either.

I like the Toyota Echo kind of.

I think ideally I
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwamiSalami View Post
Larry, honestly have no clue where we'll be living in when we get back. That's the beauty of being gov't owned. Pretty much must have a/c (or at least the ability to use it when necessary) because of my youngster. would like to have a four door for the same reason, but i could live with a 2 door. As far as stock mpgs, the minimum I think is acceptable (on 5-19-2012) would be around 35/38 city/highway ISH. Budget at this time is around $8000, of course I would like to spend much less, but also as time goes on, the budget grows.

Yea, I'm really excited about the direction cars are going. We're officially winning.

Right now:

I'm willing to sacrifice a few mpgs for personality and fun. I'm really liking the tercel 4wd wagon from the early 80s for several reasons. Hypermiling, I feel like I could get pretty good gas mileage, the car starting out is incredibly unique AND affordable, I'm able to work on simpler cars without all the computer shiz, and once the motor craps out I can try and do a swap of some sort, maybe hire out a garage to do an EV conversion or something.

See...the fact that I'd be paying very little for the car makes it very attractive. I'd be less hesitant to experiment with modifications and I'd also feel better about when something goes wrong with the car.

I'm very excited about inexpensive gas sippers from the 80s/90s, because they're relatively simple mechanically, easy (or cheap) to fix and I won't have to worry about messing it up.

I don't really drive all that much, either.

I like the Toyota Echo kind of.

I think ideally I
Some kind of engine swap into a first gen insight hybrid body would be cool too.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread