Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

00 Civic Ex vs 00 Civic Hx MPG?

Hey guys, I am new here and new to trying to get the best MPG I can. I drive a 95 Civic Ex fully loaded coupe with d16z6 vtec, intake, header, exhaust and a little suspension work. I used to want to make my civic faster, but now I really dont care too much about hp, and am more concerned with MPG.

I'd really like to upgrade from my 95 to a 99-00 civic coupe. I am considering either a 99-00 Civic EX coupe automatic, or a 99-00 Civic HX coupe automatic (CVT). I have tried looking for MPG info regarding the Ex coupe and Hx coupe but cant find any concrete info.

I am considering the Ex coupe because it has all the options I like. d16y8 vtec, a/t, large 4 wheel disc's/abs, ac, ps, pw, pl, moonfroof etc....
I am considering the Hx coupe becuase of the MPG, d16y5 vtec-e, cvt and the fact it has more options than a Dx coupe, pw, pl, tach etc...

Now my question. What are the average mpg of a 99-00 civic ex coupe automatic and the average mpg of a 99-00 civic hx coupe automatic cvt?

If there is only like a 5 mpg differance I may just go with the Ex since I would likely swap alot of Ex stuff onto the Hx. If there is more than a 5 mpg differance I may go with the Hx, and slowly start swapping Ex parts onto the Hx. i.e. brakes, ac, ps, door panels with tweeters and maybe factory power sunroof.

What is the average MPG of the EX auto, and HX CVT?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I love these 6th-gen Civics, but the HX CVT is the one I would stay away from. That's a weak transmission. HX with manual is the best mileage of the batch, but the CVT loses some of that as well as being less reliable.

If you're set on automatic, EX is fine.

If you're willing to go with a manual, HX is great. Consider the LX before the EX, since the EX manual has shorter gears = higher rpm and therefore lower highway mpg.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ive also read that the automatic cvt Hx's did not come equipped 5 wire o2 sensor or the ability to lean burn like the manual trans Hx. Is this true? What would be the point of an Hx with vtec-e if it could not lean burn due to not having the 5 wire o2?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If I were looking for a manual trans DD I would skip the hx and ex all together and get the Si coupe, or a Gsr coupe, but I am looking for primarily an auto trans civic for my DD. I have only driven a Honda CVT once and I liked it. Im not too concerned with the transmission being weak as Im not looking to put alot of power through the cvt, and I wouldnt mind swapping out the trans every 100k miles or so.

But is what I read about the CVT HX not being a true vtec-e/lean burn engine true due to the 4 wire vs 5 wire o2?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

anyone?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Yes, the Civic HX with the CVT has a 4 wire o2 sensor instead of the wide band 5 wire o2 sensor, so it doesn't have lean burn with the CVT either, so what separates the HX's engine from the EX's engine? on the HX the cam shaft is less aggressive and the valve timing is not the same, the HX has a smaller exhaust with the o2 sensor right next to the head and the catalytic converter right after, while the EX has the o2 sensor farther down stream.
They are different enough engines that they don't even share the same intake manifold, fuel rail or a handful of other parts.

Personally, I'd say if you like the EX enough that you would want to swap over EX parts to an HX, then get an EX, otherwise you will be bogging down a nice light weight civic HX, but if you are starting with an EX then anything you will do will improve it's mileage and you'll have a proper working sun roof, power options and all your frills, things that a lot of us buy Civic HX's to avoid.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
1999 Civics at fueleconomy.gov
HX manual: 30/38 mpg
HX CVT: 29/35
DX/LX man: 25/32
DX/LX auto: 24/32
EX man and auto: 24/31
Si man: 22/29
Integra gsr: 22/28

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Enthusiast

My .02c on the EK series of civics. I had a 98ex four door manual that was turbocharged and never got worse than 28mpg combined. Freeway driving would yield closer to 40mpg. The lx and hx models are only slightly more efficient and far less entertaining to drive. Hope you find what you want!

My vote would be EX
Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

IF there is in fact NO lean-burn on the cvt hx's, buying the hx seems a little pointless.

Which style intake should help mpg on a d16 civic? An AEM short ram intake, and AEM long tube cold air intake, or like a Comptech Icebox?

Last edited by IWantHX; 03-02-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantHX View Post
IF there is in fact NO lean-burn on the cvt hx's, buying the hx seems a little pointless.
That would seem to be the case, but a lot depends on how you drive. The other engineering differences Ryland points out above will all make a difference in terms of MPG too. But the real reason to avoid the CVT HX is the CVT itself on the sixth gen. Nobody speaks highly of it. Everybody seems to complain about it's reliability. I would never consider one, and I also simply love my 98 Civic (DX), which I have driven daily since 2001.

Also, Palemelanesian posted EPA MPG ratings above, and I would recommend you rely on those more than anecdotal reports of unusually high numbers. You can learn to get better numbers from any car, but a better MPG platform increases your potential for MPG improvements under a wider variety of conditions with greater choices as to how you drive for those MPG improvements. For instance, I wish I had a 1998 Civic HX manual coupe instead of my DX. My numbers would be even better.

Good luck. Remember to love what you pick.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread