Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of automated traffic violation enforcement?
I'm for it because it slows traffic down 15 44.12%
I'm for it because it generates revenue for the locality 5 14.71%
I'm against it because it's a cash cow 12 35.29%
I'm against it because it's unconstitutional 11 32.35%
Anything government does is OK by me 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
That's is however what it's quickly becoming.

Most EU countries allow a few kph margin, but you can expect the margins to be reduced in future as equipement gets better and more importantly, when the technical and legal requirements get rewritten to increase the accuracy of the equipment.
Poland is the exception, as usual The most recent update of our traffic law increased radar tolerance from 5 to 10 km/h. The reasoning was that the radar devices are not always accurate - which is BS because our police has upgraded to the same hardware used in all of Europe, where tolerance is 2-5 km/h. Plus, a radar which is not accurate will not be certified.

The politicians also argued that drivers should pay more attention to the road instead of getting distracted by glancing at the speedometer. Even bigger BS because most drivers pay attention to their cellphones, the road, and the speedo, in that order. The PSL is the maximum speed with which you are allowed to go. Aim to keep your speed 5-8kph below the PSL and the chances of you speeding by paying too much attention to the road instead of the speedometer get pretty slim.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
We have red light cameras here.
I am for them. I am also for speed cameras. I drove in Europe for 4 years and never got a camera ticket.
I got one red light ticket. That is the last one I'll get. My wife on the other hand, is funding the new school Gym.

If you run a light here, and the camera gets your picture, then that footage (they take a video of you, then select stills to send your way) is reviewed by a panel of 3 city police officers. Their decision must be unanimous. The panel changes every week. If they see that you slowed before making your turn, and the way was safe for you to proceed, then you get no ticket. If you entered the intersection on the green or yellow and traffic forced you to get caught there, no ticket. The current stat here in VB, is 40% tickets and 60% go free. If there is any disagreement between the officers, you get no ticket.

In one of the posts, it stated that and officer was watching traffic as they passed the camera. People were as much as 9 mph over who did not get a picture snapped. The one at 13 over got his taken. That tells me there is some leeway, or grace allowed. And they are targeting the ones who are most likely to cause an accident.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 03-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2-5 KM/hr = 1.2 to 3.1 mph, I'd say 5 mph(8 kph) over is 99.9% safe in the states.

12 mph(19 kph) over PSL seems to be the current cut off for automated tickets. I'm sure it will be lowered in time as it should be.

Our local redlight cameras take video also, but I don't know what the review process is.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
The PRC.

It has always been 10% + 3mph here. So at 30 you will be done @ ~36, 70 you will be done over 80.

The fundamental problem is that a police officer can spot someone driving safely at 80 vs someone driving like a loon at 60 and take the appropriate action. An automated camera cannot.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Red light cameras were ruled illegal in Mpls, had to be removed, and tickets refunded. IIRC one complaint was that the yellow and red light times were manipulated so as to maximize the chances of entrapping someone.

I'm in favor of camera hunting with high powered rifles or ?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
I'm in favor of camera hunting with high powered rifles or ?

>
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
The fundamental problem is that a police officer can spot someone driving safely at 80 vs someone driving like a loon at 60 and take the appropriate action. An automated camera cannot.
I disagree with that, 95% of police-traffic interaction happen when going in opposite directions (unless yours park on the side of the road cause ours rarely do) When meeting a LEO unless you make dust or cross the centerline he has 15 seconds if he can see me for 1/4 mile to determine if I'm driving safely other than what his radar gun tells him.

Had a daily smiles on way home, cruising at 55 mph saw a LEO coming up fast behind me on desolate 2 lane. He fell in behind me at a respectful distance, I was his blocker, watching brake light come on after meeting me was intertaining. He followed me about 15 miles, met 5-6 car's but didn't pull anyone over. Wish the lady with the black Maxima would have been out today, she's usually flying.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
I disagree with that, 95% of police-traffic interaction happen when going in opposite directions ...
Agreed, but sometimes it isn't.

The end of the Edinburgh (aka Embra) bypass has a PSL of 50 - no reason for it really so most ignore it and run at 60.

Last week 3 motorcycle cops were cruising down this part and noticed the speeders, so they rode alongside and waved them to go slower - all did. Nobody stopped by the police and nobody given a ticket because nobody was unsafe.

The day before this was covered by a radar "talivan" which I assume handed out loads of automated tickets to drivers who were no more unsafe than me sitting at home eating a muffin.

I have no issue with red-light cameras in the main depending on how they are setup.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...intelligent machines do not equate to un-intelligent drivers.

Reply  Post New Thread