Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bike - '05 Yamaha V-Star Silverado
90 day: 55.74 mpg (US)

Accord - '13 Honda Accord Coupe EX
90 day: 37.87 mpg (US)

Barracuda - '68 Plymouth Barracuda
90 day: 11.8 mpg (US)
Potential Transmission Damage?

I've been learning some great driving techniques here to improve mpg, but I'm curious if there's potential to damage my auto transmission when shifting back in drive after EIC. Has anyone experienced transmission problems from repeated neutral - drive - neutral -drive shifting with the vehicle in constant motion?

Thanks,
Eric

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No it should not cause an issue as long as you aren't shutting your car off. This is because some cars don't circulate the fluid in the transmission when it's off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angmaar For This Useful Post:
ermarccio (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bike - '05 Yamaha V-Star Silverado
90 day: 55.74 mpg (US)

Accord - '13 Honda Accord Coupe EX
90 day: 37.87 mpg (US)

Barracuda - '68 Plymouth Barracuda
90 day: 11.8 mpg (US)
Good to know. The few times I've shifted back into drive have been pretty smooth, however, I usually shift back into drive at low speeds. I tried shifting back into drive once at about 45 mph (usually 4th gear) and the transmission was in 3rd gear. This made for an abrupt slowdown before the self induced up-shift and it didn't feel or sound very good to me.

Anyone else encounter a similar situation with Fords/Foci? P&G seems pretty impossible in this situation. It could be this was a fluke and next time it will work fine, but I'm hesitant now.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
45 is a bit too high to worry about coasting, for the most part, especially if you're trying pulse and coast. I'd focus (lol) more on driving with load at those Speeds.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermarccio View Post
Good to know. The few times I've shifted back into drive have been pretty smooth, however, I usually shift back into drive at low speeds. I tried shifting back into drive once at about 45 mph (usually 4th gear) and the transmission was in 3rd gear. This made for an abrupt slowdown before the self induced up-shift and it didn't feel or sound very good to me.

Anyone else encounter a similar situation with Fords/Foci? P&G seems pretty impossible in this situation. It could be this was a fluke and next time it will work fine, but I'm hesitant now.
I've warned about this before. On some transmissions you can get away with doing it, and on others you can't - but it's often impossible to tell which ones until you ruin it. Considering that a tranny rebuild is a very costly repair, it's not a risk I'm willing to take to save a few dollars on gas.

I suggest you go to at least one or several local transmission shops and ask them whether it's feasible. In other words, get some expert advice and tell us what they say about it. The fact that your transmission doesn't know what gear to go into is not unusual, as it wasn't meant to be re-engaged from neutral to drive while in motion.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
If you have the jerking issue what you should try is to slightly push the gas in so the engine rpm will be closer to the in gear speed at the change. That way only the torque converter has to catch up a little.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lead-footed Econewbie

Ceffy - '97 Nissan Cefiro 25 excimo
90 day: 25.21 mpg (US)

Demio - '07 Mazda Demio Sport
90 day: 30.99 mpg (US)
Rev match!

I rev match with my auto when shifting back into drive. Don't need to be too accurate as the torque converter absorbs a lot of shock. More critical if you've coasted down a steep hill and got up alot of speed.

Also I assume you are shifting into neutral when stopped, if you take your foot of brake before shifting into drive (you should) you'll feel the kick as first gear kicks in - ironically going neutral to drive in coasting shouldn't be any worse than this. Your tranny is built for a bit of driveline shock, nothing to worry about.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
My Q45 shifts in and uot of neutral at any speed with no problem, same for my car, a toyota avalon.
I have had the 02 Q45 since 2005 w/40k. It has 233,000 on it today and there have been no problems.
However, I had a ford taurus for about a month ( selling it for a friend) and it did not shift into neutral. It seem to stay engaged. I didn't explore the issue since I wasn't going to keep the car.

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
I was also wondering about damaging my CV transmission. And if shutting off the engine during coast introduced more possibility of damage to the CV transmission.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

haven't named it - '13 Honda Accord EX-sedan
Curious to know people's thoughts on why we would shift out of drive after the car is max normal operating temp....almost all new cars or newer cars have automatic fuel shut off upon letting off the pedal. This must be something I'm not up to speed on, because I see this a lot around the site.

The SGII suggests the same thing. Why lose your steering or shift into neutral at all, again, AFTER the car is "room temp"? Seems like the 9th gen Accord-2.4L-CVT needs to be 150* and higher to 0GPH out on the gauge. Honda's instant mpg gauge says the same thing.

Does shutting the car off AFTER the car is room temp actually save gas on coasts?

In my 9th gen Accord, shifting into neutral from drive when the car is 175*, MPG's actually decrease. When coasting from a normal speed (say 35-55 or above), the 9th gen will 9out (instant mpg on SGII) or 0 out (GPH on SGII), all the way to roughly 10mph. What I like to do upon hitting 10mph is then shift into neutral or **** the car off and coast to my parking spot. Doing this in the 9th gen shows me 5-10mpg rolling increase (neutral after hitting 10mph) vs staying in Drive.

Reply  Post New Thread