Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
And finally, for people who like the idea of 'ultimate low drag shapes':

Note: the final column is not Cd but instead CdA. However, as you can see, the nominated frontal areas are all pretty close to 1 square metre so in turn you can read these as close to the Cd.

These drag values are much lower than the oft-quoted 'ultimate shapes' of the 1930s (and so also of course to any 'template' shape derived from those old shapes).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Very interesting case, but your last line in post 29 does seem like a straw man argument. Nobody is arguing that absolutely any road vehicle body that someone classifies as "streamlined" is of zero lift shape. "Properly streamlined" I am sure I have seen claimed, but "properly" is a big qualifier. Seems to me Honda probably knew this shape created lift and that they may have tuned this car for a little lift to reduce rolling resistance. A question I would have would be whether this lift is dangerous. I wonder what degree of lift under yaw will "lift" the car off the road. Were there race rules that would stop the race under certain wind conditions. I would think there might have been given the lighweight and wing like shape of solar racers.

I gotta add one edit: up to 100 kph, lift is pretty modest and the car ran at about 90 kph. And I definitely have not seen anyone argue that a streamlined body under yaw would produce no lift. It is an interesting study but it proves less than you seem to think.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Very interesting case, but your last line in post 29 does seem like a straw man argument. Nobody is arguing that absolutely any road vehicle body that someone classifies as "streamlined" is of zero lift shape. "Properly streamlined" I am sure I have seen claimed, but "properly" is a big qualifier. Seems to me Honda probably knew this shape created lift and that they may have tuned this car for a little lift to reduce rolling resistance. A question I would have would be whether this lift is dangerous. I wonder what degree of lift under yaw will "lift" the car off the road. Were there race rules that would stop the race under certain wind conditions. I would think there might have been given the lighweight and wing like shape of solar racers.

I gotta add one edit: up to 100 kph, lift is pretty modest and the car ran at about 90 kph. And I definitely have not seen anyone argue that a streamlined body under yaw would produce no lift. It is an interesting study but it proves less than you seem to think.
1. It is good evidence that one of the slipperiest cars ever made (and so surely by any normal definition, the most streamlined) had a lot of lift. (Or are you suggesting this car is 'improperly' streamlined?!)

2. This idea that for lift to discombobulate the car it has to lift off the ground is complete rubbish, and I have never seen that argument used anywhere except here. Refer to SAE papers 1999-01-0651 and 2009-01-0004 to see how quite small amounts of lift can cause problems in car stability.

3. I'll repeat the quote from Honda: "Future research and development will be required to refine the suspension and/or front lift coefficient in order to further increase the cruising speed." To draw the obvious inference, the aero lift (and suspension softness) were limiting their cruising speed.

4. I don't know of any rules to stop the race in windy condition. As far as I know, the cars just went slower - with these figures, you can certainly see why.

5. If anyone has the measured coefficients of lift for any other really low drag cars, I am very interested.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
One of the qualifying runs was apparently a top-speed competition, for which the engineers lowered the nose in an attempt to "suppress CLF increase, in order to achieve the highest possible speed."

Regarding lift and stability, the engineers wrote:
Quote:
A solar car on the road has to run through natural wind and thus receives its disturbances. The '96 "Dream" was thought to be prone to crosswind disturbances because it was considered lightweight, at approximately 300 kg, with a relatively large body. Fig. 7 shows the crosswind sensibility of the '96 "Dream" measured in wind tunnel tests. It can be seen from the figure that increasing the yaw angle from 0º to 12º (corresponding to receiving side wind of 6 m/s from the lateral direction, while running at 100 km/h) reduces front and rear wheel load by approximately 2.1 and 21.4 kg, respectively. The reduction cannot be neglected because it translates into a 1.4% and 14.2% reduction in front and rear wheel load, respectively. Disturbances induced on vehicle behaviour by lift force resulting from crosswind, as well as other disturbances by side force and yaw moment, must be suppressed to a level low enough not to disturb vehicle driving.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:37 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
To quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
It looks like a wing, so I would say 3.
If the part under the car (between those wheels) is flat, straight and not curved, I would even say 4.

Quote:
My guess is that it will take off at highway speed
OK, did I win something?

It's quite an interesting case.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:42 AM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
To quote myself:

OK, did I win something?

It's quite an interesting case.
No prizes... excepting for knowing you were right!
Old 09-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Here is the first part of the answer:

Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics.
-mort
Old 09-09-2020, 05:44 AM   #38 (permalink)
Long time lurker

Increased angle of attack

"Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics."

Maybe the lift causes the front to lift more than the back thereby increasing the angle of attack of the body shape. As the centre of lift is probably more towards the front than the back.

Correct me if I am wrong but that is what happens in many older cars.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:50 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics.
-mort
Yes, that's an interesting question. You're talking about induced drag - ie drag caused by the lift?

Porsche's Taycan records its lowest drag in its highest lift configuration. (I did ask Dr Thomas Wolf of Porsche about that but he chose not to reply to that question.)
Old 09-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
"Is there some explanation of how it can increase lift without increasing drag? Either they fudged the "graph" or it breaks the laws of physics."

Maybe the lift causes the front to lift more than the back thereby increasing the angle of attack of the body shape. As the centre of lift is probably more towards the front than the back.

Correct me if I am wrong but that is what happens in many older cars.
With its CLf much greater than its CLr (at least at zero yaw) you'd certainly think the centre of pressure was well forward.

But I am not sure that answers Mort's question, does it?

Reply  Post New Thread