Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #131 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 929

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 457 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But remember, we're not talking about your local driving, but about longer trips where "range anxiety" actually comes into play. To take a common scenario hereabouts, have perhaps tens of thousands of people driving their EVs from the Bay Area to Tahoe ski areas on a Friday - a trip which I don't think can be done without charging even in a Tesla, given the elevation change &c. How many chargers do you need in places like Auburn to handle this?
People here that own an EV are talking about our local driving because we understand the reality of picking the correct tool for the job. The EV is used for the 95% of driving that is within it's range. For the other 5% we take the other car.

Several studies put something like 85% of all trips within the range of a 75 mile EV. Now that 200 mile EVs are coming out and look to be the new standard that percentage will jump to 95 or 99.xx% of trips.

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (10-03-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 10-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 807 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Longer range EV's are here, and the end of the ICE-age is in sight.
And when longer range EVs get here, range anxiety will be greatly reduced. Though never eliminated entirely, as (bar some unforseen new tech, such as flow batteries) you'll always have the refueling problem.

Climate change Global warming, or AGW. A little less submission to Orwellian newspeak, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Who plays Classical loudly?
Well, me for one :-) Depending of course on your definition of 'loudly' (nothing like a boom car), and the particular piece. Something like the opening of Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathustra" (which non-classical types may know from the score of "2001 - A Space Odyssey") really need to be cranked up a bit. And of course even within any particular piece, classical can have a much wider volume range than most other genres.

Last edited by jamesqf; 10-01-2016 at 03:14 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #133 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 929

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 457 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
And when longer range EVs get here, range anxiety will be greatly reduced. Though never eliminated entirely, as (bar some unforseen new tech, such as flow batteries) you'll always have the refueling problem.
There is no refueling problem. I'm surrounded by EV "fueling stations" everywhere I go. Every friend of mine has dozens of them in their house.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (10-03-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #134 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles
 
rmay635703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere in WI
Posts: 3,166

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Thanks: 317
Thanked 604 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
With the engine off I do not think "Gee! This is so much better!"

I honestly do not notice over my Classical music, which I obviously do not play very loudly.

Who plays Classical loudly?

How far will electric cars go after 208,000 miles without replacing major components?
Sparky the 2012 Chevy volt has over 330000 miles.

He had to have the classic fwd Chevy bearings replaced a tad past 300k (my Buick needed them every 120k)

His electric range is the same as new, he does oil changes off the DIC every 20000ish miles.

Beyond filters and oil ZERO maintenance.

His story is not unique.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #135 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 864
Thanks: 49
Thanked 220 Times in 184 Posts
200 mile Ev means Reno to beach or back.

However, drain your cars gas tank and only put in 2 gallons, refuel only from a 1 liter bottle and a soda straw funnel, THEN talk to me about range anxiety.

I go everywhere I want to in the city. Reno to Portland? that is why I have a 600 mile per tank Golf, or an 800 mile per tank F-250 diesel or fly.

If I wanted to be dumb, I could run a 8000 watt genset in the ranger and never run out of battery.
__________________
2000 F250 7.3 CC 20+ MPG @ 10000 #
2013 Golf tdi 47.5 mpg neutered, 1500 mi beer run
1988 Ranger EV Volt batts>> 18,000 MPG and climbing. Rag overhaul.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #136 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,191
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,122 Posts
Assuming empty tank or discharged battery:

GAS/DIESEL ≈ 4 minute refuel.

EV > 5 hour (300 minutes) recharge.

When traveling cross country, hope you REALLY like those 5 hr Howard Johnson or McD "rest stops"!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:10 AM   #137 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 929

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 457 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Assuming empty tank or discharged battery:

GAS/DIESEL ≈ 4 minute refuel.

EV > 5 hour (300 minutes) recharge.

When traveling cross country, hope you REALLY like those 5 hr Howard Johnson or McD "rest stops"!
When travelling cross-country you don't drive an EV. Why is this such a hard concept for people to get?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-05-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #138 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,191
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,521 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
When travelling cross-country you don't drive an EV. Why is this such a hard concept for people to get?
RANGE ANXIETY, the subject of this post. Hence, why it is NOT overrated by prospective buyers.

Last edited by gone-ot; 10-02-2016 at 03:13 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #139 (permalink)
JSH
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 929

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 457 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
RANGE ANXIETY, the subject of this post.
I have never once had an anxiety about running out of range since buying my EV.

Range Anxiety at purchase is people buying based on the 5% of their needs instead of the other 95%.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,209
Thanks: 225
Thanked 807 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
200 mile Ev means Reno to beach or back.
Not quite (if you mean ocean beaches, not Tahoe or Pyramid). It's almost exactly 250 miles from my place south of Reno to south San Jose, via 88/Carson Pass, a trip I did every week for a couple of years. A 200 mile range would have left me trying to figure out how to tap into one of the wind turbines on Altamont Pass :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH
When travelling cross-country you don't drive an EV. Why is this such a hard concept for people to get?
Why is it so hard to get why some people don't want to add yet another vehicle and its associated fixed costs?

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com