Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '06 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiante
90 day: 45.9 mpg (US)

Dakar - '03 BMW f650 GS Dakar (retired)

Tucson - '07 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
90 day: 32.67 mpg (US)
nice to see a fellow South African here. where are you from inland or coast? im from the coast and the hilly terrain here hurts my mpg. However the altitude inland also hurts my mpg. visited family inland and my Tucson's mpg dropped almost a 1 litre per 100km. as for mods vacuum gauge for the win! also do an air dam its easiest mod for about a 10 to 15% improvement on highway. some also claim another 10% with a grill block. id do that before I start pulling out ac's and stuff.

I havnt done any physical mods on my cars yet except max tire press and serious drafting behind all the taxis here!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...lts-31929.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ock-31749.html

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I also don't think it helps when you try ecomode with this daily on our roads aswell https://t.co/htB9stB5Nw

Old 05-28-2015, 04:43 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
If you have any trouble take some pics and i'll tell you exactly what to do.
Thanks for the offer, AndrzejM. I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie25 View Post
nice to see a fellow South African here. where are you from inland or coast? im from the coast and the hilly terrain here hurts my mpg. However the altitude inland also hurts my mpg. visited family inland and my Tucson's mpg dropped almost a 1 litre per 100km. as for mods vacuum gauge for the win! also do an air dam its easiest mod for about a 10 to 15% improvement on highway. some also claim another 10% with a grill block. id do that before I start pulling out ac's and stuff.

I havnt done any physical mods on my cars yet except max tire press and serious drafting behind all the taxis here!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...lts-31929.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ock-31749.html
Hi Eddie, likewise! I'm also from the coast, the hilly terrain definitely doesn't help with fuel economy. How many litres per 100km does your Tucson do? Did you install the vacuum gauge yourself? Instead of an air dam I'm planning on installing an underbelly from a Polo BlueMotion which should help.

That video of the taxis is shocking. Where are the metro cops?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bataleon View Post
the hilly terrain definitely doesn't help with fuel economy.
Funny thing is that during my extended trips across Europe I got best FE during these tripos when I was passing some mountains, on flats I got worse FE.

If you have a kill switch you can coast virtually forever if the slope down is long enough. I remember coasting for almost 11km at the speed up to 110km/h and overhauling trucks and other cars with my engine turned off completely That was in the mountains of Bulgaria ;-)

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

as you can see by the video I posted its too dangerous here to EOC. we need our power steering and brakes at a moments notice. Traffic rules here are more like guidelines. and enforcement of them is pretty poor. I do however switch off engine at prolonged traffic lights.

when the wife drives the Tucson it sits at around 11.5L / 100km. she has a short 4km drive to work and back and is always running late. also she doesn't know much about hypermiling. this week ive been using the Tucson. its about a 40km round trip daily and the FE is at 7.8L / 100km. its due for a major service so I assume it will drop after that.

my fiesta is suffering however its also struggling with poor economy. I think a faulty o2 sensor is to blame. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ors-32048.html

vacuum gauges are purchased and following lots of youtube vids seem pretty straight forward to install. actually planning to install them this weekend if 1 year old son allows.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
Quote:
as you can see by the video I posted its too dangerous here to EOC. we need our power steering and brakes at a moments notice. Traffic rules here are more like guidelines. and enforcement of them is pretty poor. I do however switch off engine at prolonged traffic lights.
It's safe to drive without the power steering if you delete it properly and brakes you can upgrade to last for 5-6 heavy breakings without need for your engine to spin. You can find know how here on EM. I've deleted PS in my BMW (my Polo didn't have it anyway), and I haven't noticed any real difference while driving except when car is fully stopped.
Brakes lasted without any changes (BMW) for 4 heavy breaking sessions before you could feel the difference it's almost the same for Polo. Maybe a bit less for Polo that's why i'm planning to build in a vacum reservoir into the system. Especially because I'm EOCing much more in Polo.

Quote:
when the wife drives the Tucson it sits at around 11.5L / 100km. she has a short 4km drive to work and back and is always running late. also she doesn't know much about hypermiling. this week ive been using the Tucson. its about a 40km round trip daily and the FE is at 7.8L / 100km. its due for a major service so I assume it will drop after that.
For 40km round trip you could have FE at the level way below 6 litres/100km IMHO
I was able to go under 7 l/100km in first gen of Toyota Previa which was an old gas guzzler

Quote:
my fiesta is suffering however its also struggling with poor economy. I think a faulty o2 sensor is to blame. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ors-32048.html

vacuum gauges are purchased and following lots of youtube vids seem pretty straight forward to install. actually planning to install them this weekend if 1 year old son allows.
Fingers crossed for cleaning your sensor and installing vacum gauge... How about SG or MPGuino?

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 05-28-2015, 07:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

definitely something to look in to for me is the EOC. especially http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ast-31683.html I still cant believe your mpg you getting on your polo I love your thread showing simple is best. to get an SG into this country is expensive. im not justifying them just yet. would rather get some new eco tyres on the cars first. the vacuum gauges i picked up for around $ 15 USD each. the Tucson does have instrumentation and it helped me get my technique right which i adopted in my fiesta

according to the sa specs bataleon your polo has 185/60 r14 tyres on. you can decrease this size to a 165/70r14 it should also help

Last edited by Eddie25; 05-28-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Old 05-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
I'll give you an example of my EOC in Polo

220km distance covered and my MPGuino showed up 104,4km of EOC with the FE of 3.29 l/100km
And the same data for the current tank: Distance - 568,3km EOC - 195km FE - 3.81l/100km

As you can see I was EOCing for 34.3% of the time for the tank and 47,45% for the trip

Quote:
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
this week ive been using the Tucson. its about a 40km round trip daily and the FE is at 7.8L / 100km.

7.8l/100km is decent considering the Tucson is a big vehicle. What size engine does it have? I've just looked in the Torque App which I use with my car and it has a boost/vacuum gauge (see image). Would this provide the same info as the vacuum gauges you are going to install?

AndrzejM, are you able to identify the different things connected to my Polo's belt? 1. is the alternator and 2. is the tensioner. Would 3 and 4 be the power steering and A/C, respectively? Cheers

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
3 is air Con but 4 must be crankshaft pulley (the driving pulley)
More and more vehicle get either power steering with a electric piggy back pump on the side or electric power steering in the steering column.