Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Here is a diagram of all pulleys of your engine:

Where:
1. Main pulley mounted on the crankshaft
2. Tensioner
3. Alternator
4. A/C
5. Power steering

That's what I've found

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulleys.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	17817  

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrzejM For This Useful Post:
Bataleon (06-01-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenstate View Post
Do not be afraid to try synthetic lubricants in the transmission and rear end. These two areas can make a nice dent into better mileage.
Synthetic lube in the engine can also make a noticeable difference in fuel economy. Last November, I switched my Mustang from Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend to Mobil 1 0W-30 full synthetic motor oil. I made it through this past Winter without dropping below 30 MPG. That's never happened before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrzejM View Post
Here is a diagram of all pulleys of your engine:

Where:
1. Main pulley mounted on the crankshaft
2. Tensioner
3. Alternator
4. A/C
5. Power steering

That's what I've found
Thanks for the info. I looked under the hood again this morning and there are definitely only four pulleys. As depicted in your diagram, 1 is definitely the main crankshaft, 2. is the tensioner, 3. is the alternator, 4. is the A/C, while 5. is missing. Perhaps like renault_megane_dci said, the power steering is provided via a electric motor or through the steering column itself. The exact model of my Polo is an 9n3 (mk4), but I haven't managed to find a service/workshop manual for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave View Post
Synthetic lube in the engine can also make a noticeable difference in fuel economy. Last November, I switched my Mustang from Motorcraft 5W-30 semi-synthetic blend to Mobil 1 0W-30 full synthetic motor oil. I made it through this past Winter without dropping below 30 MPG. That's never happened before.
That's seriously impressive. Your average of 31.4 mpg (US) with a 4L Mustang puts my Polo's fuel economy to shame. Do you have a kill switch installed?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:22 AM   #54 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Team Mustang
Sports Cars

Pickups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bataleon View Post
That's seriously impressive. Your average of 31.4 mpg (US) with a 4L Mustang puts my Polo's fuel economy to shame. Do you have a kill switch installed?
Thanks!
No kill switch - I don't Engine-off coast. Nor do I "Drive With Load" or "pulse and glide". I "Drive Without Brakes" and make extensive use of cruise control and DFCO. I know I'm doing almost everything "wrong" according to many members on this site, but my numbers aren't all that bad.

Quote:
Quote:
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.

Last edited by Mustang Dave; 05-31-2015 at 10:58 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mustang Dave For This Useful Post:
Bataleon (06-01-2015), digital rules (05-31-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:53 AM   #55 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Considering you drive a 4L V6 Mustang, your figures are excellent! What do you use to measure your fuel economy?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I looked under the hood again this morning and there are definitely only four pulleys. As depicted in your diagram, 1 is definitely the main crankshaft, 2. is the tensioner, 3. is the alternator, 4. is the A/C, while 5. is missing. Perhaps like renault_megane_dci said, the power steering is provided via a electric motor or through the steering column itself. The exact model of my Polo is an 9n3 (mk4), but I haven't managed to find a service/workshop manual for it.

I've checked and you have an electric pump running your power steering system. That's why one pulley is "missing"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steeringpump.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	17850  

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Team Mustang
Sports Cars

Pickups
Quote:
Considering you drive a 4L V6 Mustang, your figures are excellent! What do you use to measure your fuel economy?
Thanks.
I use an Ultra Gauge EM to monitor my instantaneous fuel economy, and the factory "AVERAGE MPG" display to see how I'm doing since the last fill. My calibrated Ultra Gauge is very close, but the factory gauge is optimistic by around 1 MPG. The only numbers that really matter are the (correct) odometer miles and the gallons pumped into the tank.
I have the fuel log numbers to show what I've accomplished.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I've checked and you have an electric pump running your power steering system. That's why one pulley is "missing"
Nice find, thanks. If I wanted to disconnect the A/C pulley, would it be possible to use a belt which only connects 1 (main pulley) with 3? (the alternator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave View Post
Thanks.
I use an Ultra Gauge EM to monitor my instantaneous fuel economy, and the factory "AVERAGE MPG" display to see how I'm doing since the last fill. My calibrated Ultra Gauge is very close, but the factory gauge is optimistic by around 1 MPG. The only numbers that really matter are the (correct) odometer miles and the gallons pumped into the tank.
I have the fuel log numbers to show what I've accomplished.
Awesomely detailed fuel log. I wish I could do the same but I very seldom fill my tank right to the brim.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
Quote:
Nice find, thanks. If I wanted to disconnect the A/C pulley, would it be possible to use a belt which only connects 1 (main pulley) with 3? (the alternator)
That won't be as easy as changing the belt only. Your alternator is placed in a place, that you can;t run the serpentine belt from the main pulley to alt and use a tensioner. That is required for the proper belt tension.

My Polo has alternator mounted on a spring and it works as a tensioner for the serpentine belt. But I think that can be done...

Quote:
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
That won't be as easy as changing the belt only. Your alternator is placed in a place, that you can;t run the serpentine belt from the main pulley to alt and use a tensioner. That is required for the proper belt tension.

My Polo has alternator mounted on a spring and it works as a tensioner for the serpentine belt. But I think that can be done...
True. That's a pity! What if I removed the serpentine belt completely and replaced the battery with a deep cycle battery?

I jacked up my car during lunch and tried spinning the wheels to see if there was any brake drag. The two front wheels are very stiff and only travel about 1/5 of a turn, even with a good push (the car gear was in neutral).

The back wheels are slightly better, although the back left wheel spins freely and then suddenly slows down, almost as if the brake pad is rubbing at a certain point.

How freely should the front and back wheels spin? Is brake drag easy to adjust?

Reply  Post New Thread