Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Maybe fiberglass it in a frame and cut it out after? Else slump-formed sheet ABS?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I gently forced the fiberglass flat yesterday and weighed it down with bricks. By morning it was holding flat without the bricks but I kept them in place and let direct sunlight heat it again all day. Just finished working it witha heat gun. Trying to learn how to manipulate this matterial for future. The thing is ugly and amature, but it is only meant to be temporary. I will make another soon. This goes onto the car before I leave for work in the morning, maybe.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-12-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Change your epoxy? Polyester resin is famous to warping when dry and taking forever to really cure.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Maybe fiberglass it in a frame and cut it out after? Else slump-formed sheet ABS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Change your epoxy? Polyester resin is famous to warping when dry and taking forever to really cure.
I already have a supply of polyester, so I am committed for now. And supposedly the polyester is the new style. A thought about making it more rigid... maybe some wire mesh, thicker than a screen, between two layers of glass.

Here is what it looks like today, after it was reattached yesterday. Ugly! I am out of black duct tape and I have some old pink duct tape from my daughter that has been laying around for years... using it up. Not gonna waste paint on this temporary build.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_084706.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	26670  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A later iteration might be straight-sided to that crease that comes off the C-pillar, with downturned winglets to the corner of the tail light.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Any issues with warping today?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #37 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Any issues with warping today?
Yup. But I am not entirely surprised. Polyester takes forever to cure it seems. So far it is not really serious warping, but...

Clearly there needs to be extended curing time (like a month) or some sort of structure or reinforcement within the piece. Such issues make the material less appealing. Basically, it wants to expand in the heat of the sun, and so it warps. The cardboard underside might not be helping, but I remember a previous piece I made for the interior and as soon as I took the cardboard off (soaking in water) the piece warped without heat.

Maybe multiple layers would help?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Heat affects polyester cure. Needs to be really warm and held flat for a week or so to expedite cure.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Heat affects polyester cure. Needs to be really warm and held flat for a week or so to expedite cure.
Yes, I have been reading about that online. Some people say even as much as 30 days. I want to take back a little bit what I said about warping yesterday. Before driving this morning I went out to take a good a closer look at it, and although it has deformed it's quite slide this time, unlike that first morning after I had made it tonight before. I believe that's probably because of the heat curing I had done in the last few days. I left it waited flat out in the bright California Sun for several days, and I don't want evening I went out there with a heat gun to reinforce that heat to get it up pass the temperature is it would have been experiencing from the Sun, and then left it waited overnight and another day flat. There's no doubt about it... it has not warped as much this time as it did last time.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Glue cardboard sheets into a block and cut the part so the corrugations run normal to the long dimension.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-22-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread