Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2022, 12:45 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 28,072
Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 8,724 Times in 7,192 Posts
The Bonnevette in Permalink #2 had a duct wall that started at or before the axle line. It walls off the underbody flow from the wheelwell turbulence.

I think the outer wall of a rear wheel spat is optional for the reason you state.

__________________
.
.
Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster

____________________
.
.
“You belong to Universe” -- the voice in Bucky Fuller's head
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-27-2022, 01:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,090

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 573 Times in 456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Bonnevette in Permalink #2 had a duct wall that started at or before the axle line. It walls off the underbody flow from the wheelwell turbulence.

I think the outer wall of a rear wheel spat is optional for the reason you state.
so pretty much i could taper in the rear wheel spat to a straight diffuser, while blocking in the wheel well section from messing with the underbody, then expand that area out and wider from the inner section of the flat underbody/diffuser. dont know if i would both boat tailing behind the rear wheel wells, or maybe just do a mild boatd tail behind the wheel to slighly guide the edge air at the side ends of the diffuser
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 16,029
Thanks: 24,122
Thanked 7,269 Times in 4,687 Posts
diffuser skirt wheel fairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
so pretty much i could taper in the rear wheel spat to a straight diffuser, while blocking in the wheel well section from messing with the underbody, then expand that area out and wider from the inner section of the flat underbody/diffuser. dont know if i would both boat tailing behind the rear wheel wells, or maybe just do a mild boatd tail behind the wheel to slighly guide the edge air at the side ends of the diffuser
The diffuser defines all the other architecture.
Once the diffuser is defined, it will reflect on the wheel skirt design.
The diffuser can close the gap of the wheel well, up to the inner face of the rear tires.
The wheel fairings would only be behind the wheels.
And these wheel fairings would create fences on the outer extremities of the diffuser.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,090

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 573 Times in 456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The diffuser defines all the other architecture.
Once the diffuser is defined, it will reflect on the wheel skirt design.
The diffuser can close the gap of the wheel well, up to the inner face of the rear tires.
The wheel fairings would only be behind the wheels.
And these wheel fairings would create fences on the outer extremities of the diffuser.
Yeahs that’s what I’m going for. Main diffuser air between the wheel wells, and then bring in the trailing edges of the wheel skirts like a mini boat tail that also acts as some fences/strakes. I saw one of the newer Priuses doing something similar actually
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 01:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,090

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 573 Times in 456 Posts


Obviously I’d have deeper boat tailing behind the rear wheels to create the fences. It would look like a pinching shape behind the wheels once I have the rear wheel skirts over. Tesla also uses mini rail guards next the inside wheel wells to block off some turbulence and guide the air out to its diffuser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7B5E03E6-2934-4C99-B185-B5534235098B.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	32482  
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 03:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,756

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Thanks: 104
Thanked 407 Times in 312 Posts
I can't find the original Lotus Exige wind tunnel testing page I read a lot of years ago but this is a pdf of another? (or maybe the same one): https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/Downloads...st_Session.pdf

Notice that the extended strakes to seal off the wheels drops drag by a massive amount.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
kach22i (07-02-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: oregon
Posts: 1,090

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Thanks: 1
Thanked 573 Times in 456 Posts
Saw this yesterday. Now that’s a rear diffuser…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B32C0BEF-BACB-4768-BA22-10BEE85C58E5.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	32517  
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 28,072
Thanks: 7,893
Thanked 8,724 Times in 7,192 Posts
Quote:
Notice that the extended strakes to seal off the wheels drops drag by a massive amount.
I scanned through there, (), do you have a page or image number? Front or rear wheels?
__________________
.
.
Without freedom of speech we wouldn't know who all the idiots are. -- anonymous poster

____________________
.
.
“You belong to Universe” -- the voice in Bucky Fuller's head
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-05-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 05:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
kach22i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 4,167
Thanks: 122
Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I can't find the original Lotus Exige wind tunnel testing page I read a lot of years ago but this is a pdf of another? (or maybe the same one): https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/Downloads...st_Session.pdf

Notice that the extended strakes to seal off the wheels drops drag by a massive amount.
Nonactive video links in the PDF when I viewed it, would you by any chance know where they are online?

They claim large differences in drag, I'm just not as impressed as the authors I guess.
__________________
George
Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 16,029
Thanks: 24,122
Thanked 7,269 Times in 4,687 Posts
number

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I scanned through there, (), do you have a page or image number? Front or rear wheels?
It's @ #9, at te bottom of the first 'RESULTS' table.
Adding the outboard diffuser vanes dropped drag, from Cd 0.555, to Cd 0.496, a delta- 0.059, 59-counts, a 10.63% reduction.
Polishing a turd.

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-05-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com