Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

With the newer cars the "bumper" is just a cover and the steel or Styrofoam under it is the actual bumper part. For a while I had removed my bumper cover and netted 3 mpg.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I think aerohead's first post, at Permalink #2, is a sophisticated interpretation of the Template materials shown in #10.

Quote:
PS: Also we have an idea of new fender, for the car. New Molds.jpg what do you think, is it good for the reducing drag? or worthless to do it?
It's hard to know what to think because I can't interpret the monochrome low-poly rendering. This is some artifact at the rear of the wheelwell that looks like an elephant ear. Could you zoom back a little and maybe add colors to the different materials or change the lighting? I'm just trying to help.

The isometric of the front air dam shows a stepped line across the bottom.You could insure the outer, lower portions extend in to the inside of the front tire's tread and leave the center higher so you aren't high-centering in driveways.

I've been thinking about an air-curtain mod for my front fenders. What I might do is use the existing fender as the inside of the channel and make a scoop that transitions from low and wide at the opening to tall and narrow at the wheel well. If the area of the throat is larger than the area of the vent the air will be sped up and injected into the turbulence coming out of the well.

Additional things that can happen under the car: Splitters in front and diffusers in the rear.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-17-2014 at 02:09 AM..
Old 04-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It's hard to know what to think because I can't interpret the monochrome low-poly rendering. This is some artifact at the rear of the wheelwell that looks like an elephant ear. Could you zoom back a little and maybe add colors to the different materials or change the lighting? I'm just trying to help.
I'm sorry you are right. I did found some photos to show you what I really want to make to my car.

Front wheel arch air output fillet of this honda is minimal, but what I want is like this.
Also This JUN 350z has pistons where the air exits the engine from before the door.

And/or with This fabulous air vents,

PS: I will definitely do rear diffuser with full undertray.
The Following User Says Thank You to emre2blue For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
Nissan 350-Z

Looking at your photo of the Z-Car,those structures behind the front wheels may be aerodynamic,constant volume turning vanes as used inside HVAC ductwork and wind tunnels.
http://www.ductware.com.au/images/aircontrol.jpg
Old 04-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoMod Proof of Concept

WD-40's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 56.04 mpg (US)

WD-40's Mirage - '15 Mitsubushi Mirage ES
Mitsubishi
90 day: 46.05 mpg (US)

WD-40's Sonata Hybrid - '17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
I have done the front wheel air curtains, rear wheel skirts(thinking about adding vents to the rear of the skirts), mini boat tails fore and aft of all wheels, rear diffuser, added my version of a kammback/box cavity, extended front bellypan by 4 feet, extended back belly pan to the rear axle, plans to complete the belly pan are in the works (just need to get the whole car in the air), plans to add a splitter in the front.
So far I have noticed the extended range in coasting, it feels almost like its increasing speed compared to before.
This has increased the "gotta do it now" factor on completing the bellypan
Old 04-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

3 weeks ago, I made my injectors cleaned. Than my 90km/h MPG went lower. like from 57 to 48. But the high speed MPG went up. I constantly drive the car, as I wish like going more than 160km/h sometimes 200km/h. After a tank (70lt) - I did 6.36lt/100km with this kind of driving. But today, I noticed lower grill block, also blocks the air needed for Intercooler, as it says its a cooler, It needs air to cool. for winter It was the best option I've ever had. I did cancel the EGR valve, so the grill block helped me to get engine warmer quickly. And add some MPG with it. but now temperature is almost 16 degree Celc. in Istanbul, so I unblock the grill and my 48mpg gone up to 52mpg at first ride. Now I will try to get come information, if its actually, made bad to blocking the grill now. But for the bumper design I will do it asap.

PS: Air to Air Intercooler needs more space for cooling, and adds unnoticable pressure drops or turbo lag to the system. But Water to Air Intercooler uses more mass to cool to Inlet Air, and need less radiator surface to cool the water by the air from front of the car. I want to use that. but first the belly, and the bumpers.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

3 weeks ago, I made my injectors cleaned. Than my 90km/h MPG went lower. like from 57 to 48. But the high speed MPG went up. I constantly drive the car, as I wish like going more than 160km/h sometimes 200km/h. After a tank (70lt) - I did 6.36lt/100km with this kind of driving. But today, I noticed lower grill block, also blocks the air needed for Intercooler, as it says its a cooler, It needs air to cool. for winter It was the best option I've ever had. I did cancel the EGR valve, so the grill block helped me to get engine warmer quickly. And add some MPG with it. but now temperature is almost 16 degree Celc. in Istanbul, so I unblock the grill and my 48mpg gone up to 52mpg at first ride. Now I will try to get come information, if its actually, made bad to blocking the grill now. But for the bumper design I will do it asap.

PS: Air to Air Intercooler needs more space for cooling, and adds unnoticable pressure drops or turbo lag to the system. But Water to Air Intercooler uses more mass to cool to Inlet Air, and need less radiator surface to cool the water by the air from front of the car. I want to use that. but first the belly, and the bumpers.

Reply  Post New Thread