Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #41 (permalink)
Ecomodding Apprentice

No in real world environment the mass velocity is constantly being changed by the user. I have two Prius and how mine is used highway and especially in town the mean cost is far less in the lighter vehicle. Even a Mercedes with Cd of 22 and a chassis and running gear of 1400kg is no good to me. Making lighter parts from non ferrous materials is the way I will go. In the UK, registration points mean you can change the chassis, suspension, steering, engine, transmission up to 8 before change of use

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2022, 05:26 PM   #42 (permalink)
Ecomodding Apprentice

At least in the UK small road junctions are controlled by roundabouts not stop signs. You need to fix all that
Old 06-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #43 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan jones View Post
At least in the UK small road junctions are controlled by roundabouts not stop signs. You need to fix all that
I go back and forth on that point. How are crosswalks handled at roundabouts? Seems more dangerous if there's no requirement to stop.

Bend, Oregon makes extensive use of roundabouts, and I appreciate them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
Not anymore. Self-adjusting drums have been fitted since late '60s.
I thought you have to back up for them to self-adjust. No reverse, no self-adjustment.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:18 AM   #45 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I thought you have to back up for them to self-adjust.
I don't remember this.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I don't remember this.
Yes, old Chevys required us to reverse AND apply the brake to auto adjust. Yes, they worked, but made changing pads more time consuming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joggernot For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 03:19 AM   #47 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I don't know how much different are the self-adjusting drum brakes are from the old Chevys. Well, as nowadays drum brakes on light-duty vehicles have been more confined to the rear axle, and most cars are FWD, seems like self-adjusting fell out of favor among the automakers. Eventually this may explain why in some cars the parking brake fails so often...
Old 06-29-2022, 06:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan jones View Post
They added a stupid roundabout in my area, it is a major state highway, instead of the few people getting on the express way having to slow down to turn onto the on ramps, now EVERYONE has to slow down even if there's no traffic. There's a place for roundabouts, but in that exact case it would have been far better to just add a turn lane to keep traffic flowing (no slow down for most drivers).

Same township made the 2 lane highway going out of town a 2 lane highway with a left turn lane for like 2 businesses in 2 miles, completely waste of money, and now no one can legally pass in that section. Some people go 45mph (speed limit in town), and it slows everyone down and no way to pass, of course for a short moment it's helping people get better mpg, but someone upset is known to get worst mpg and drive more aggressively. There was never a traffic problem heading out of town, I don't understand why they did it, the traffic light timing is more of a problem, but there's about 4 lights grouped right together and a timed where you have to be going the speed limit or faster to make them and the traffic in the area naturally goes around 35mph because of all the businesses and driveways in the area slows down the traffic.

Anyway, just wanted to point out, roundabouts are not a one fits all solution. Not every intersection in the usa has enough traffic to warrant the extra costs and a simple stop sign works just fine for low traffic areas, the usa is a massive area of land for the population, the only real traffic areas we have are primary in larger cities from what I've seen, that and road layout, like there's a large swamp in my area, so no road goes directly through, so have 3 or so turns to get to the other side of it.

I've had more people almost hit me in that roundabout than anywhere else from people coming off the express way. Never had a problem at all before the change. It's so tiny that semi's have to drive over the center and it's not exactly smooth for the cargo.

Here's an image of the setup. I guess google maps was drunk when they drew the road lines lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I thought you have to back up for them to self-adjust. No reverse, no self-adjustment.
Depends on year, make, model, some vehicles used the parking brake as a way to adjust the rear brake drums up. I'm not sure which style my F250 is, it's a manual and the parking brake doesn't function. Seems like 99% of domestics the parking brake doesn't work in and 90% or so of toyota's it works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I don't know how much different are the self-adjusting drum brakes are from the old Chevys. Well, as nowadays drum brakes on light-duty vehicles have been more confined to the rear axle, and most cars are FWD, seems like self-adjusting fell out of favor among the automakers. Eventually this may explain why in some cars the parking brake fails so often...
You might be right on less self adjusting rear brakes for drum brakes. Disc naturally is self adjusting (always tight), so there is an advantage for disc in that area.

I've tested the parking brake on a lot of Toyota's, Camry, Corolla, Echo, Prius, Matrix, etc, up here in Michigan where road salt is a problem, roughly 90% of them work. The toyota pickups and 4runner is at 100% or near 100% for them not working. All are around 2000 and older besides the matrix and prius.

I'm sure the owner's manual gives more details on how the brakes should be adjusted if needed at all, but of course most people don't read the owner's manual. Too bad there wasn't a "what you need to know" section that covered things like that.

Anyway, for the thread topic. I think drum brakes are lighter than disc, the disc alone is about the weight of a drum, add the caliper and I think pure weight wise, the drum brakes would win. Spinning mass I suspect is real similar though.

Last edited by ps2fixer; 06-29-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #49 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
I think drum brakes are lighter than disc, the disc alone is about the weight of a drum, add the caliper and I think pure weight wise, the drum brakes would win. Spinning mass I suspect is real similar though.
Drums can also be made of a lower-weight aluminium alloy, while discs can't. The original Lada had its drums made out of aluminium alloy for instance, and it was pointed out to be advantageous regarding weight, and the heat rejection disadvantages of drums were minor compared to a drum made out of iron or steel.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
I like the Pontiac's 8-lug finned aluminum drums better than Buick's that took standard wheels.

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassi...4/01/Wheel.jpg

Reply  Post New Thread