Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #231 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The old bike

you can see the old led acid battery that came with the bike here:

and my own bike using two 4s5p in series lipo laptop batteries:

when I tried the one pack yesterday, I tried it twice and it did not drop in voltage that much, well I guess as expected since the starter did not turn. I will post a video now that I can post URLs.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #232 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

True Blue - '89 Honda Civic Hatchback, 1.5ltr, 70hp, 4 spd, Base model
Team Honda
90 day: 47.19 mpg (US)

Shorty - '01 Mazda Miata SE
Sports Cars
90 day: 33.66 mpg (US)
It'd be great if electric car makers could find a way to replace heavy batteries with lightweight capacitors. The time to recharge the caps might be as fast as refueling a gas powered car.

Last edited by ChewChewTrain; 01-17-2016 at 12:47 AM..
Old 01-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #233 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the eliminator layout

Here is an image of a quick layout using the cheapotle china $13 six pack and my recycled laptop pack.

by the way, look this one guy did find stuff inside the china ucaps:
Green-Cap/Super-Cap 2.7V 500F - fake? - Mikrocontroller.net
but seems to report one bad one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_eliminator.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	19469  
Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #234 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChewTrain View Post
It'd be great if electric car makers could find a way to replace heavy batteries with lightweight capacitors. The time to recharge the caps might be as fast as refueling a gas powered car.
There was/is a company that claimed/claims they could do that. They were called EEstor I think and their capacitor they called it an EESU. But after years of broken promises and secrecy I think most everyone has lost faith in them feeling that perhaps they are just an investment sucking hoax.

I'd like to see capacitor technology catch up with battery technology storagewise too. It seems like I heard that in China they made some capacitor driven buses that charge at each bus stop. But if they miss just one bus stop then they run out of juice.

But for now it looks like we're limited to replacing ICE car batteries. But just imagine one of these days a 300 mile range Tesla that charges in 5 minutes.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #235 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

well the tech is here already, just buy an electric car

At the company I used to work for we had a total of 244 ultra capacitors from maxwell 3000F each to drive diesel electric hybrid buses. I already mentioned this. But to elaborate, the ucaps would basically move the bus all on its own by maybe a block or so and then the diesel engine would take over power completely. Well we had diesels from cummins, gasoline V10s from ford, some fuel cells and also a few battery buses using zebras (liquid sodium right above the people riding the bus...) and we even got to prismatic lifepo with cells as large as the crossection of a truck battery ~10" square X .5". Kokam makes those. We also had mixtures of ucaps and batteries as storage systems, but that was only on a few tests. On the ucap transit buses we actually derated the power so that the bus would not spin the wheels in place or be too strong. There are passengers who have to ride while standing up you know. Anyway, we fitting an FMTV with ucaps once without this limit. During testing curious people on the road not only tried to go around the vehicle, but quickly would drop their jaw as even fast sports cars could not keep up for the first block. Maxwell caps are really awesome like that. it is a perfect use...1-5 blocks to the next stop, a few seconds to recharge during loading, unloading, light stop, etc, huge mass to store kinetic energy for regen breaking, steady power supply generator.. blah blah. The technology is already working. The price point was already there/er is already there. The only reason why you don't see them right now is because gas has dropped. But I went to school and to engineers they teach you interesting things like where oil comes from and how much there is left... there is a big push to get away from oil for a big reason. Yep its running out. Once the Saudi's run out of money or kill off the american ethanol industry, they will raise the price to a level that even George Bush wont giggle at. I give it another year or so. We passed peak oil in 2005. Our only saving grace is that there was a down turn so people didn't have jobs to get money to pay for oil. But now we are back baby! continuing about the ride, the buses were so well tuned that the ride was smooth and quiet. only the gas ones were a bit loud, but many decibels below diesels. on the battery and fuel cell buses all you heard was a little bit of whining from the gearbox and some cool sounds from the inverters. The push felt like the "hand of god" was pushing the bus, it was a really smooth ride indeed. So I think the tech is just waiting for the right moment to take over.
The Following User Says Thank You to werefree For This Useful Post:
mpgmike (01-04-2022)
Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #236 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by werefree View Post
At the company I used to work for we had a total of 244 ultra capacitors from maxwell 3000F each to drive diesel electric hybrid buses...

We passed peak oil in 2005.
Very interesting about the buses. Do you know what voltage they were wired for? In other words, what was their series and parallel configuration?

As far as peak oil, the US had a peak consumption in 2007. World consumption has not yet peaked as every recent year shows a steady increase.

Source:
https://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproje...2014&unit=TBPD

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #237 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

In series

244 ucaps 2.7 in series to reach around 700V. The inverters as well as the motors came from Siemens automation. search for "drive motor 1pv5135-4ws18". Two of these motors drove a combining gearbox to power the rear wheels. We also did other combinations, but that was our "production" system. You can also search "ISE corp drive motors". in Images you can see some of the designs still showing up in the web.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #238 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

on an interesting note: how do you make 500F capacitors in china?

You put a 500F label on "it".

Gosh! why can't the internet have a physical fist to punch people in the face when they are about to buy something from dubious sources at impossibly low prices?

I'm going to have to go down with this ship before it sails. But I will keep my hopes up until the water starts filling the bulkheads.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #239 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Robert Murray-Smith..10,000F capacitor

Is this real?
He's got the right words in it.. acetonitrile, aluminum, graphene, ammonium salts... hmmmm. the size is about correct.

now he just has to make them about the size of a car battery's crossection and it will work for what I want to do. I think I just found a new project when this going falls flat on its face.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #240 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ucaps are here

Got them last night along with a very tiny BMS board for the battery. I quickly grabbed one cap and went to the garage to charge it. The voltage from shipping was 0.02V. I changed it to .5V at .01A for a few minutes....a bunch of few minutes. then I tried other battery types from my changer and the setting that seemed to work was NMH at 5A. I charged it to 2.7 V and then tried a breaklight bulb from my car... you know two fillaments, one burns out, the other still good so you keep the bulb like a packrat because one day you might want to use it. I tried a 3.8V charged battery first and to my surprise it actually did light up. I mean its a 12V light, you don't expect 3.8V to do anything. Then I tried the cap and I got a glow too! And it did not die out quickly (So it must not be fake). The Bulb says 8W so it was less than 1 amp for 10 seconds. Next I will assemble 12 in series, charge them all and try to start my truck. Then i will double up and if that does not do the job, I will finally also add the battery pack. Crossing fingers here...

Reply  Post New Thread