Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Do you still have Bacon? Could you sell it to get some/all of the money you need to pay her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
They have two business laptops for a thousand dollars each and they both looks good.
The trick is buying used. You can get a year or two old off lease or refurbished business class laptop for half the price of new. And by then, most of the hardware issues will have come to light, so you can research to find out which ones can stand the test of time. Or if you must have something current, check out the manufacturers' online outlet sections. They're mainly returns and other stuff they can't sell as new, but they're just as good. Most anything should play WoW if you don't mind not having the graphics maxed.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
The Intel integrated graphics are getting quite good. If battery run time is important at all to you, I'd get a laptop that uses the integrated Intel graphics instead of a video card made by Nvidia or ATI. Those drastically reduce battery run time.

I'm getting 10 hrs of battery run time with light use on my laptop using an extended battery and Intel integrated graphics. This 4 year old laptop can play Left 4 Dead 2 ok. I bought it for $700 when it was the latest and greatest, but I had been keeping an eye on Slickdeals. Generally I don't like to spend more than $500 on a laptop, but considering I use it every single day for 4 years, I'm willing to spend a little more.

I would avoid consumer grade laptops that you would find in Best Buy. They just aren't built to last. I suppose this is OK if you plan to replace it every 2 years anyhow.

As for your attorney suggesting that you repossess the girlfriend's car; that was clearly bad advice. If she was making payments, then the car is hers to do what she wants with it, including operating it illegally. Maybe you were just trying to protect her, but sometimes people just have to learn lessons the hard way.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-03-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I could sell Bacon, but I am supposed to deliver bread to Whole Foods as soon as Boss gets a vendor number, so hopefully that will provide me with more hours. While I had overtime last week, this week is looking more like my normal twenty-seven hours. While I would rather not go to drill this weekend, I might make more money there than at my day job (this week).

As for the repossession, a police officer in her town told me that I needed to prevent that crazy girl from driving my car without insurance, made sure that I understood that I was liable for whatever she did in my car, and said that if she wanted to drive the car, she needed to get a bank loan. The judge never said anything about me taking back my car, he just ordered me to refund her payments. I could have counter-sued for what I paid to insure her and for the damage she did to my car. Maybe he would have deducted the insurance from her payments. Maybe he would have said that her payments only covered a portion of what she cost me, so she was not receiving anything. Whatever, I was not trying to get her money, or make the process take longer than necessary. Now I just wait to see the terms. If in ten days I receive an order to pay her in full within twenty days, then in thirty days I will pay her. If I am allowed to make payments, then I will change my timing belt first and make payments according to the schedule.

She did bad things to my car, but it is still worth much more than she paid towards it; if I sold the car, I could pay her and use the rest to replace my timing belt.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not Doug

Having completed annual training, I have my first paycheck since I lost my job baking, so I have money for a little. I am trying to order all of the computer (and car) parts that I need. My sister has an extended warranty on her laptop, so that is easy enough. As far as I can tell, I broke the digitizer on my laptop, not the actual screen. I figure that if you break the LCD, you get more than a crack. Unfortunately, the site that I linked is out of stock, and so are the few other sites that I can find. There are others on Amazon, but HP does not have a part number for just that, all that I see is the entire unit. Does anyone know how I can make sure that another 15J digitizer is or is not the same as mine?

Thank you very much!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

Does anyone really need a touch screen on a laptop ? My work one has it but I always plug in a mouse.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not Doug

Arragonis, there was a time that I played solitaire and the touch screen seemed perfect, but then I needed to clean my screen. I played before class and then put my laptop to sleep when lecture started. I tried talking to a classmate afterward and she kept telling me how disgusting the fingerprints were.

She was a preschool teacher. She should be accustomed to worse.

I did not want a touchscreen (or Windows 8), but I wanted to purchase a laptop through Costco, and they only had touchscreens (with Windows 8). I do not think that it makes sense to have the same interface on a computer that I have on my phone. A mouse cursor is accurate to the pixel, while my man hands take up far more real estate. The window frames in Win8 look like a child's plaything because they are intended for clumsy fingers, not an accurate mouse.

I really just want to fix the crack. Before I figured out that the digitizer was broken, not the screen, I was fine when the website made it extremely clear that the screens were non-touch (because the touch came from the digitizer).

If I could replace the digitizer with just a screen protector, I would.

I actually just got on my laptop because I was replacing Mom's digitizer, but the new one came without the ribbon to actually enable it. Dad left her an Envy X2; you can detach the screen and use it as a tablet.

You cannot do much with a non-touch tablet.

Reply  Post New Thread