Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #141 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
It turns out it will be one Mexican. Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán. And he's asking California for the $3.5 billion they got for high-speed rail back.

Those border towns the D's want to carve out should be surrounded on the other three sides with triple concertina wire.

Edit: or not

AP: Make El Chapo pay for a border wall? Don’t count on it

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #142 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah, I had watched this video a couple months ago or so.
But it have nothing new than the videos and comments we already did in this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
'Just have a think' looks at solid state battery developments and prominently mentions Goodenough and Braga:
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #143 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

While we wait, watch this. 'Windy' is 88 years old. The tour of his house starts at 18:22.

Gene Winfield And His Memorabilia Mansion - The KING OF CUSTOMS!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #144 (permalink)
Banned

I hope he never met this guy :

Jokes aside, what a incredible collector.
Why such passion for the 50's??? Maybe it was his happiest times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
While we wait, watch this. 'Windy' is 88 years old. The tour of his house starts at 18:22.

Gene Winfield And His Memorabilia Mansion - The KING OF CUSTOMS!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #145 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I couldn't finish that.

All that stuff? He lived it. Einstein's business card on his kitchen wall.

At his page on Kustomarama you find pictures of the Jade Idol then(1958) and now(2018)

That's sixty years apart.

The Old School Chevy episode of Monster Garage was taken off Youtube, but it had all the old guys

Quote:
The car was restyled on the 15th episode of second season of the Monster Garage TV-Show by a team of old kustomizing legends. The team included Bill Hines, Gene Winfield, Norm Grabowski, Dick Dean, Fat Jack, John Robinson Jr., Michael Hines, and Jesse James.

The guys chopped the top and sectioned the car 3 inches. The inline 6 motor was retired for a V8 crate motor. Rather than sub framing the car, Fat Jack and his son John customized the stock frame for accepting the new engine and turbo 350 trans. The Old School Chevy was completed in 5 days, and had a total build cost of $23,360.

January 17 - 23, 2011 the Old School Chevy was sold at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction. The selling price, included sellers commission, was $44,000.00.
https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Old_School_Chevy

And then there's the Star Trek stuff.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #146 (permalink)
Banned

A little update, but the video and subtitles are in portuguese :

https://www.vdigital.pt/noticias/ino...-10659834.html

She basicly give a insight about the revolution it can be for solar and wind sources, allowing store electricity from such sources, them she tells the work it's progressing but they are needing to do most themselves since the industry it's hard and are demanding things to be ready instead of develop details together. Initially they imagined they would create simple coin battery cells and then the industry would cowork with them to create another models, scale up. Now they, the researchers, are working in new models, since the industry demands more finished products.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-11-2019 at 09:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #147 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
See, I'm just not buying that. If I were a business even remotely related to rechargeable batteries, I'd be jumping on any credible invitation to co-develop products.

If I sent a demo product to Tesla and it performed even half as well as claimed, I'd expect Elon to be buying my company/patent immediately.

What's with all this talk of why things aren't progressing, rather than talk about how things are progressing, or at least what currently exists today?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #148 (permalink)
Banned

Maybe this is because they had basicly just coin cells batteries. She was developing a gelly roll version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
See, I'm just not buying that. If I were a business even remotely related to rechargeable batteries, I'd be jumping on any credible invitation to co-develop products.

If I sent a demo product to Tesla and it performed even half as well as claimed, I'd expect Elon to be buying my company/patent immediately.

What's with all this talk of why things aren't progressing, rather than talk about how things are progressing, or at least what currently exists today?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #149 (permalink)
Banned

The explanation for self charge, but require knowledge of quantum physics:

https://cdn-pubs.acs.org/doi/suppl/1...322_si_001.pdf

"The nature of self-charge.
1. There are two self-charge processes; one is without plating and one is with an anode plating. The first and more common happens in almost all kinds of battery cells (if anode and cathode show an open circuit voltage different from zero) especially in “charged cells” that are not charged prior to discharge (e.g. primary cells). This phenomenon of self-charge does not involve plating of an anode, it happens due to the necessity to align each electrode’s Fermi level with the electrolyte’s Fermi level in contact with the electrodes at the electrode/electrolyte interface as demonstrated in ref. [S1]. The anode is at a higher Fermi level than that of the electrolyte and cathode. To align the higher Fermi level of the anode with the lower Fermi level of the electrolyte, an Electrical Double Layer Capacitor (EDLC) is formed at the interface in a way that the potential (energy per unit charge) increases in the direction of the electrolyte (Fig. S9). Therefore, the electric field has to pointing the direction of the anode and hence the free electrons that accumulate at the surface of the anode at the anode/electrolyte interface and the mobile cations in the electrolyte form an EDLC. On the cathode side, the electric field has to point towards the electrolyte and electron deficiencies holes on the cathode side form an EDLC with cation deficiencies in the electrolyte.

2. The second self-charge phenomenon is characteristic of the present electrolyte containing both ions and dipoles; it involves a plating of an anode from the working cation of the electrolyte; as shown in the paper, we argue that this self-charge is the result of equalization of the Fermi levels across the negative-electrode/electrolyte interface and a time lag between the arrival at the interface of the fast-moving electrolyte cation and the slower-moving electrolyte electric dipoles. Equalization of the Fermi levels by the interface EDLC (Fig. S9) is retained on arrival of the electric-dipole charge by a plating of an electrolyte cation onto the negative electrode, i.e. a self-charge, that creates a negative charge in the electrolyte.

3. Self-charge due to alignment of the dipoles.
According to Gauss’s law, the electric field outside a parallel plate capacitor (EDLCs) is zero. Therefore, the fields E’ and E’’ of Fig. S10 must sum to zero in the bulk electrolyte when no dipoles are aligned. The alignment of the dipoles leading to a uniform array is equivalent to a surface charge. The electric field E’’’ resulting from the alignment of the electric dipoles inside the electrolyte must be compensated by the surface charge in the electrolyte/electrode EDLCs. The surface charge increment results in a higher E’’ that then compensates E’’’ and E’ in the electrolyte. "

If she managed to well explain this to a layman language she will get the Nobel Prize of pedagogy.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-18-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Old 03-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

I had another brief dialog (text) with Maria Helena Braga yesterday.

She told me their batteries are running devices (not specified what kind of devices) and that's a proof it works. Also told me other parties had prepared their formula of electrolyte and got similar reasults.
Zoom they will publish something on internet that will left no more doubts about the veracity of this battery.

I have to agree. Despite some doubts in academic world, if the battery really run devices for long time, as the superior capacity of the battery claim, this is the important proof.

In the field of science research and development there was a lot of thing that looked perfect and coherent in theory, but failed in practical terms. Now we have a battery that works in practical terms, but in theory left some academics very confused.

Last edited by All Darc; 03-23-2019 at 01:19 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-23-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread