Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #151 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The easy way out is if there is a bad connection or a damaged wire somewhere. Those are a pain to find of course, but looking for them is free.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #152 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Been a while since I've updated this thread so......

My 2nd gear syncro is gone. Tried Syncromesh FM, Redline MTL, Honda MTF, and with a few different gear oil/MTF tonics and end result was squat. So double clutching it is.

Replaced most of the cooling hoses, you need a small monkey or child to get to most of em. Honda seemed to have gone nuts with bypass hoses, everything has coolant being pumped into it.

Drove it to LA and back while looking for an apartment. Its freaking sick to drive 900 miles only consume around 12-13 gallons of gas

Took it for its Brake and Lamp inspection today, passed with flying colors thank god. Was worried I was going to fail it for something stupid and have to fork out another $130. Tomorrow DMV and I hope completion.

Cat is still dead, I just keep resetting the light with the Scangauge, I'll fix it one day.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #153 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Should have it on the road pretty soon eh? Be sure to post some pics when you are out and about.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #154 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red, your explanations are wonderful! Keep going with your posts.

I also bought a 2000 red insight from my friend. The car did not run for the past 3 years! It have only 55K. It was wet under the floor mats. They replace the windshield and did not put all the clips on the roof moldings. It was leaking by the missing clips holes.

Last weekend I try to start it. I have change the oil, and remove the interior to clean mats ans seats.

I had a problem. The ECU is not recognising the keys anymore. I bought the shop manual. I think it is related to the ground on the engine. Since the car is at my cottage I have to wait for the next weekend to do further test. I will also replace the 2 ground wires, even If they look ok. The starter is also intermittent, and sometimes the relay is buzzing.

When I removed the seats I broke 3 bolts. I will have to re-tap holes.

I will change brakes next weekend, and reassemble the inside.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1332  

Last edited by talonmike; 07-30-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #155 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Vue - '03 Saturn Vue
90 day: 25.34 mpg (US)
this thread makes me really want an insight...

don't really want to trade the 'rolla though... can't have both

Old 08-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #156 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonmike View Post
Red, your explanations are wonderful! Keep going with your posts.

I also bought a 2000 red insight from my friend. The car did not run for the past 3 years! It have only 55K. It was wet under the floor mats. They replace the windshield and did not put all the clips on the roof moldings. It was leaking by the missing clips holes.

Last weekend I try to start it. I have change the oil, and remove the interior to clean mats ans seats.

I had a problem. The ECU is not recognising the keys anymore. I bought the shop manual. I think it is related to the ground on the engine. Since the car is at my cottage I have to wait for the next weekend to do further test. I will also replace the 2 ground wires, even If they look ok. The starter is also intermittent, and sometimes the relay is buzzing.

When I removed the seats I broke 3 bolts. I will have to re-tap holes.

I will change brakes next weekend, and reassemble the inside.

Here are some pictures.
Very clean little guy you got there talonmike! Congrats on the find.

Is it totally not recognizing the key? If it engages the starter or the IMA motor than its authenticating the key OK. Sounds like your grounds are shot and probably the 12v battery could do with a charge or replacement.

Yeah if it starts intermittantly or just buzzes your 12v is dead. Depending how dead a recharge could be enough or you'll need to replace it.

Tried drilling the old bolts out? Mine were a pain in the arse, I soaked mine in penetrating lube first which seemed to have helped.

Tourigjm, I might have to sell mine, need funds for school......
Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #157 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Vue - '03 Saturn Vue
90 day: 25.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
need funds for school......
Overriding factor... If i didn't have to pay for my senior year i'd probly buy it.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #158 (permalink)
NRG SVR

Great story, and FWIW, I just missed a 2000 Insight for $4995 on Friday... by an hour. It was high km, but apparently running well enough.... could have driven til it died, then swapped in a smart cdi engine.... dream project.

Scangauge II: Group buy pricing - $149.95 Canadian funds! And FREE shipping!

Best mileage to date: 2.23 L/100km - 105 mpg (US) - 126 mpg (imp)
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #159 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartzuuk View Post
Great story, and FWIW, I just missed a 2000 Insight for $4995 on Friday... by an hour. It was high km, but apparently running well enough.... could have driven til it died, then swapped in a smart cdi engine.... dream project.
Totally zuuk. I'm waiting for my engine to blow up so I could either EV it or shoehorn a diesel in.

Small update, since I moved to UCLA I haven't really needed to drive much so I left the Insight at home and I have my Jeep with me. Its pretty sweet now, a tank of gas lasts me almost a month and a half since I can just walk to wherever. For those of you not on my FB, I drove back up home a weekend ago, and as a welcome back present, on the of the trees at the base of my driveway decided to go kamikaze and fall on the Insight. Thankfully it landed on one of its main branches so the Insight didn't suffer the full force of its wrath. But I now sport a snazzy 8" dent/crease in my hood, a crack in the drives side fender, a ton a scratches, AND my 4 month old windshield is toast again. Else, everything is fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #160 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Insight

Just wanted say I have enjoyed your thread. Insights are becoming a semi collector kinda like the GM EV1 that did not get crushed in AZ desert. Anyway you might want to increase your current battery capacity for some FE. Just a thought Please post current mpg if available
thanks

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
honda insight, modifying, rebuilding