Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sandstone Princess - '99 Chevy Sububan LT
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)

Joe - '02 Nissan sentra XE
90 day: 43.9 mpg (US)

Regal - '03 buick Regal LS
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
Here some and parts are cheap at a U Pull yards. Plus you can download factory honda manuals online for free. It doesn't get more simple than that.
Except for the part for the part about me living on the other side of the country... The point is to make the OP's vehicle more efficient, not for someone to go out and buy the car you think they need to own.

Anyways, back to the original post: I know you can get street scene mirrors for around $60 used, although it would take a fair amount of time for them to pay for themselves. A PCM reprogram for that vortec may run $100 or so and yield better mileage.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
The OP said the only reason he has this vehicle is that it was free. My point was, if that's the ONLY reason, then part it out, scrap the rest and use the money to buy a vehicle that will use less gas and save him MORE money in the long run. For a guy that can't afford to buy a cheap crappy car, you are certainly suggesting a lot of added expense to make a horrible gas pig into a slightly less horrible gas pig.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
No that was not the intent, just to show that they are out there. But you are correct, right place right time. My car was free.

You have to be careful with performance chips they are not always as advertised, like everything else. Mileage may end up worse. Most chips lean more towards performance and light on the economy.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sandstone Princess - '99 Chevy Sububan LT
90 day: 21.04 mpg (US)

Joe - '02 Nissan sentra XE
90 day: 43.9 mpg (US)

Regal - '03 buick Regal LS
90 day: 33.85 mpg (US)
Not so much a chip, a reprogram of the PCM for mileage. 94-95 is when the "S" series trucks lost the ability to have removable chips in them. My early 95 S10 had a true obd2 PCM and I couldn't find anything but a jet chip, piggyback module for it. A custom mileage program for one would be the best bet. The main thing I would see as being a mileage deflector on this vehicle would be the 4wd and the tires it rides on. My 2WD S10 hit 29mpg every day. Can the front drive shaft be pulled on it? You really can't yank the transfer case and put a 4l60e or something in as it may not shift correctly until the pcm is swapped/programmed from a 2wd.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rolling Junkyard - '98 GMC JIMMY 4D 4WD SLT
90 day: 20 mpg (US)

The Sable - '01 Ford Sable
90 day: 30.74 mpg (US)

The Jeep - '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo v6
I took off the roof rack and I'm going to use caulking to seal around the holes. In regards to covering up the front grill i was wondering what others had used.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Jimmy mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZupaChuffin View Post
Soo, I know everyone around these parts hates suv owners, well I got stuck with one and a free car is cheaper than buying another hands down.

Basically what I am trying to figure out is what other people have done with their suvs to make them not use so much gas. I see a ton of threads with full documentation of how people doubled the epa on a civic. If anyone has made custom air dams and skirts it would be nice to see. That is what I am planning on doing.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I just visited with my rural mail carrier this morning on way to town.He drives a Jimmy,and fuel bill last month was $1,200.Ouch!!!!!!!!! I know you have real winters where you live,but if you can,loose the 4-wheel drive anyway you can do it.That might be 3-mpg right there.If you do primarily highway driving,then aero mods could help.Your biggest enemy,once up to speed,is the enormous turbulent wake behind the Jimmy.I'm working on a short boat tail for my friend's Toyota Highlander,and he's in the same boat you are.He has a receiver-hitch and we're going to construct a "slide-in" boat-tail,which will add about 30-inches(750mm) to the length of the SUV,but it will drop the Cd from 0.34,to 0.27,and his highway mpg should jump to 31.6mpg,from 28.The tail will be on a cargo carrier that slides into the receiver,and swings away for access to the rear hatch.I'm not sure of the Cd for the Jimmy,but the S-10 its based on was 0.42 and the wagon style roofline of the Jimmy should drop drag by 5%,so maybe your sitting at around Cd 0.4.This is where the lion's share of your highway fuel dollars are going and none of the other aero mods you do will compare to what a tail can do,if you can deal with the extra length.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rolling Junkyard - '98 GMC JIMMY 4D 4WD SLT

The Sable - '01 Ford Sable
90 day: 30.74 mpg (US)

The Jeep - '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo v6
I was thinking of constructing some sort of tail but am not sure if a full tail would be very practical. I was considering creating a clip on partial tail that would attach to the rear glass window.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Yeah the length is a real consideration.A neighbor used a Thule bicycle rack,attached to his Vanagon hatch to secure a 36-inch boat-tail of EMT tubing skeleton,with a Dacron cloth envelope,sewn by his wife.He doped it,ala fabric aircraft style,painted to match VW.It wasn't a trophy winner with looks,but he was happy with 4-mpg it added.The bicycle rack allowed quick on/off,and he did not use it for around-town driving.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
ZupaChuffin -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZupaChuffin View Post
I was thinking of constructing some sort of tail but am not sure if a full tail would be very practical. I was considering creating a clip on partial tail that would attach to the rear glass window.
Welcome to EM! This may be a 100% non-issue, but I would check the vehicle code in your state to see if you can extend the boat tail beyond the end of the bumper. Some states appear to have a law against this. If I do my Kamm-Back, I will stop it "at the bumper-line" just in case. There is a thread that mentions this, but I can't find it right now.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #30 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I just visited with my rural mail carrier this morning on way to town.He drives a Jimmy,and fuel bill last month was $1,200.Ouch!!!!!!!!! I know you have real winters where you live,but if you can,loose the 4-wheel drive anyway you can do it.That might be 3-mpg right there.If you do primarily highway driving,then aero mods could help.Your biggest enemy,once up to speed,is the enormous turbulent wake behind the Jimmy.I'm working on a short boat tail for my friend's Toyota Highlander,and he's in the same boat you are.He has a receiver-hitch and we're going to construct a "slide-in" boat-tail,which will add about 30-inches(750mm) to the length of the SUV,but it will drop the Cd from 0.34,to 0.27,and his highway mpg should jump to 31.6mpg,from 28.The tail will be on a cargo carrier that slides into the receiver,and swings away for access to the rear hatch.I'm not sure of the Cd for the Jimmy,but the S-10 its based on was 0.42 and the wagon style roofline of the Jimmy should drop drag by 5%,so maybe your sitting at around Cd 0.4.This is where the lion's share of your highway fuel dollars are going and none of the other aero mods you do will compare to what a tail can do,if you can deal with the extra length.
What I like about this is that you can get a hitch for almost any car :

1999 Saturn S-Series Curt Receiver Hitches, Curt Hitch Receiver
1993 Honda Civic Curt Receiver Hitches, Curt Hitch Receiver
2007 Scion xB Curt Receiver Hitches, Curt Hitch Receiver
2008 Toyota Yaris Curt Receiver Hitches, Curt Hitch Receiver

And who knows, maybe I could actually use it for what it's for!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread