Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda 3 - '06 Mazda 3 iTouring
Alright, had a few more hours to work on the car. Will get pictures up real soon, tomorrow is supposed to be really nice. I've got another 60 to 80 pounds of interior removed that needs to be dumped in the nearest trash as it is just sitting in the back of the car. Then it is off to the scales. I am pretty confident the Passat will now be under 2700 pounds as it was 2780 with headliner, rear door panels, Oh $h*t handles and brackets, some sound deadening, shelf above where rear seat was, Rear sun shade, Side curtain Airbags, unnecessary wiring, and a few other little things. Also, my gas is nearly empty so I can finally get a good empty weight.

Tomorrow I will get the muffler removed which probably weighs a good 25-30 pounds at least. After that, I'll pull the rear crash bar and arms for about 20 pounds or so.

I should be able to afford a nice set of coilovers to lower the rig in July, until then.......it's sky high....

By the way, the acceleration at highway speeds is amazing now with the huge weight reduction. Pulse and glide is much easier and should net me higher gains as soon as I get past the performance aspect of the car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pulse will be easier with less weight; but glide might suffer with less weight equaling less inertia. The results will be interesting.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilOne View Post
Pulse will be easier with less weight; but glide might suffer with less weight equaling less inertia. The results will be interesting.
Indeed. I figured with the 500 pounds less that I am aiming for the car will not coast quite as far, however, I will be doing a bunch of aero mods soon in order to help get the CD lower than the stock .27.

With a grille block, under tray, wiper delete, external mirrors delete, antenna delete, car being lowered, rear wheel covers, etc, it should still have a good impact.

Only time will tell. I'm trying to aim for 2650 pounds by tomorrow evening. The bad part is that the majority of this weight is removed from the rear of the vehicle upsetting the balance quite a bit in the process. However, I do not think it will be a real issue as I will be driving it economically and under/oversteer won't be an issue.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Do you think some of that stuff might make the car safe? Airbags possibly? With no mufflers will your car pass any checks required? There are rules about noise levels in Aus.

If you do manage to take 500 pounds out, what fuel saving do you think you might get?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Growin a stash

I respect your vision. Sounds fun!

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 06-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The rule of thumb is that for every 2% you improve the weight or aerodynamics, your fuel economy improves 1%, so if he loses 16%, he gains 8%.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Ecky (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
The rule of thumb is that for every 2% you improve the weight or aerodynamics, your fuel economy improves 1%, so if he loses 16%, he gains 8%.
Right, but depends on his driving mix. More in city driving, less on the highway. City gains definitely won't exceed 16%, of course.

Seems to me there are probably better ways to gain 3mpg, but I'm morbidly fascinated and would love to see pictures of this stripped and gutted car.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt36415 View Post
Do you think some of that stuff might make the car safe? Airbags possibly? With no mufflers will your car pass any checks required? There are rules about noise levels in Aus.

If you do manage to take 500 pounds out, what fuel saving do you think you might get?
I have taken the rear and side airbags out as I do not have rear seats, so no people to protect back there. Also here in Salem, Oregon, USA, there are no safety/smog checks so nothing to worry about for me. Even with the muffler off, these cars aren't loud enough to receive a ticket from an officer unless you are trying to put the car in higher RPMs(Where I don't drive when I am trying to be economical..)

With the 500 pounds out of the car I am hoping for a big difference in city driving. The aero will come into play for highway. I am hoping for 200% EPA HWY which is 58 MPG. I was around 45 MPG before starting on highway so it should be attainable. City driving would be around 150% EPA to make me happy(About 32 MPG).
Old 06-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Seems to me there are probably better ways to gain 3mpg, but I'm morbidly fascinated and would love to see pictures of this stripped and gutted car.
You are in luck, I'm headed out right now to clean out the car, delete some stuff, weigh it then get pictures!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '02 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS

Brick - '19 Nissan Frontier S
Not really MPG related, but it would be cool to compare the factory 0-60 time to the 0-60 time after you've finished stripping it

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
build, passat, stripped, volkswagen, weight reduction