Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
RTU Engine

I thought this is very interesting?
RTU | discover progress

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
they don't state any of the work done beyond:

"To retrofit the existing engine to RTU patented technology, its needed to replace and modify, several key parts. Mainly the pistons and rings, control unit, and the entire intake manifold."

...... the idea behind an adiabatic engine is interesting, but i don't see how it could possibly happen with a modified production engine from only pistons, rings and the intake.

their "super motor" video shows a lot more than that, even with pixelated sections of video.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
they don't state any of the work done beyond:

"To retrofit the existing engine to RTU patented technology, its needed to replace and modify, several key parts. Mainly the pistons and rings, control unit, and the entire intake manifold."

...... the idea behind an adiabatic engine is interesting, but i don't see how it could possibly happen with a modified production engine from only pistons, rings and the intake.

their "super motor" video shows a lot more than that, even with pixelated sections of video.
Maybe they only convert 2 cycles, I have will to get my Subaru 360 over to them.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
One of the important factors is the fuel efficiency, which with the RTU ECU itself will increase an average of 16.4%.
Sounds like lean burn.

Quote:
Fresh cooled air is manipulated so as to allow the engine to run in a lean burn condition further cooling the engine.
Lean burn, which this "RTU" technology apparently uses, tends to cause a slower combustion charge burn rate. This requires advanced ignition timing, and because the burn rate is slower, more heat escapes into the cylinder walls and the piston crown than with a stoich mixture.

Quote:
According to the RTU patented low temperature combustion technology, the intake gases flowing from the engine's exhaust system (red hose) are significantly colder than original.
You can achieve the same effect by ceramic coating the turbo innards with a ceramic coating.

Quote:
The RTU patented low temperature combustion technology provides a unique feature - a closed loop hose system, where there is no need of radiator at all.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

And it sure would help if their spiffy animation didn't quit after 1 second.

Looks like a candidate engine to power the next unicorn vehicle.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
One of the important factors is the fuel efficiency, which with the RTU ECU itself will increase an average of 16.4%. The RTU ECU used in conjunction with our TEC controller would reduce the CO2 emission rate an average of 5 to 8% even on a stock engine by allowing the use of ethanol based fuels.
It looks like one of their tricks is the use of ethanol probably E98. Ethanol with some type of ceramic coating on the piston tops combustion chamber and cylinder liners could help a ton keeping the heat inside with less transfer.

On my first lean burn Talon I'm sure I could of ran with a much smaller radiator maybe even without when racing it at the the drags. I would see coolant temperature drop from 200*F to 160*F at the end of a low 11 second pass on E85. But in traffic on a 95+ Summer day I would need a radiator. I'm wondering if RTU is saying in "race form only" you don't need a radiator or maybe just a small one at that?

The other thing about ethanol you can run very lean and not lose as much power compared to gasoline.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
.....And it sure would help if their spiffy animation didn't quit after 1 second...
X2!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
On my first lean burn Talon I'm sure I could of ran with a much smaller radiator maybe even without when racing it at the the drags. I would see coolant temperature drop from 200*F to 160*F at the end of a low 11 second pass on E85. But in traffic on a 95+ Summer day I would need a radiator. I'm wondering if RTU is saying in "race form only" you don't need a radiator or maybe just a small one at that?
That actually is interesting that you could do that. RTU definitely needs to clarify their claim. I don't necessarily buy that their cooled-off intake manifold idea actually improves fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
The other thing about ethanol you can run very lean and not lose as much power compared to gasoline.
This is why I have such mixed feelings about ethanol. But that's going to veer off into verboten territory...
Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
That actually is interesting that you could do that. RTU definitely needs to clarify their claim. I don't necessarily buy that their cooled-off intake manifold idea actually improves fuel economy.

This is why I have such mixed feelings about ethanol. But that's going to veer off into verboten territory...
I agree!!! RTU needs to show us that the RTU intake and the cooler IAT helps with fuel economy??? I would think it would make the ethanol fuel fall out of suspension?

I share your mix feelings when it comes to ethanol. I tried a little fuel economy testing using E85 but never got anywhere close to gasoline fuel economy figures.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
It makes me remember the semi-adiabatic Elko Multifuel engine which was developed by Elsbett in the 80s, the first light-duty compression-ignition engine with direct injection.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Maybe they only convert 2 cycles, I have will to get my Subaru 360 over to them.
Funny you should mention Subaru>>>>

Subaru engine for Le Mans revealed | Racecar Engineering

Now I'm a naturally sceptical kind of guy and this just seems like snake oil to me. If one of these dowes get put in the back of an LMP2 then I'll gladly eat my words as it destroys the opposition. But I'm just not seeing a lot of evidence and/or physical installation

All the pixellated bit can be seen in other shots as the engine goes backtogether in the video especially the port and the pistons.

My biggest point is the data. I'm fairly certain race turner worth their slat with a turbo that big, throttle bodies, and countless other thingscould ring 800+ bhp out of the 2.5/5 VAG engine....... for a couple of seconds. Like wise open the waste gates, retune the fuel map and @1850rpm 5.3l/km can be achieved..... again for a few seconds.

you know the old adage of if its too good to be true.......
especially when they state one set of mods yet can be seen doing a lot more.

twitter.com/bertchalmers

Last edited by robchalmers; 11-21-2013 at 07:09 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread