Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #81 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: the Perimeter
Posts: 855

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Thanks: 421
Thanked 194 Times in 148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder74 View Post
turbo makes it a little harder to get up to speed without drinking gas.
Congrats on the car. Turbos improve efficiency, that's why many many new cars, SUVs and even pickup trucks have turbocharged engines.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Thanks: 90
Thanked 267 Times in 204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
The gearing is just too short for good MPG in the S2000.
Actually, the S2000's aerodynamics are bad enough that the gearing is probably not the biggest problem (lol).

Newer engines have shown how effective EGR is at increasing part load fuel efficiency. The S2000...has none. It has no cam phasing either. The low load efficiency as a result is BAD.

@OP congrats on the Cruze, you can tune the ECU to improve efficiency under boost at the expense of momentarily higher EGT (probably not a problem since you're not racing the car).
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Grinder74 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard
 
Daschicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 723

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 51.54 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 37.61 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.87 mpg (US)
Thanks: 565
Thanked 253 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Actually, the S2000's aerodynamics are bad enough that the gearing is probably not the biggest problem (lol).

Newer engines have shown how effective EGR is at increasing part load fuel efficiency. The S2000...has none. It has no cam phasing either. The low load efficiency as a result is BAD.
Drag coefficient of .33 with the top up. I think I heard about the top down increasing the Cd by 25%, but donít quote me on that. That would raise the Cd to 0.41. 70 mph Iím pretty sure was around 4000 RPM. No EGR huh? I never noticed. Now Iím really wondering how Honda got these things to pass emissions. It would blow a cloud of smoke and smell awful when accelerating full throttle last VTEC. Ours never needed emissions work, but it is very possible that the previous owner did some trickery.

I also noticed that the S2000 was about as slow as my I4 accord up to 6000 RPM, then they switched roles as the S2000 screams ahead and the accord lags behind.
__________________
-Kaze o tatakaimasen-

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in VFR: 62.5
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:24 AM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: California
Posts: 362

Tahoe 2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 20.75 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 78 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
Drag coefficient of .33 with the top up. I think I heard about the top down increasing the Cd by 25%, but donít quote me on that. That would raise the Cd to 0.41. 70 mph Iím pretty sure was around 4000 RPM. No EGR huh? I never noticed. Now Iím really wondering how Honda got these things to pass emissions. It would blow a cloud of smoke and smell awful when accelerating full throttle last VTEC. Ours never needed emissions work, but it is very possible that the previous owner did some trickery.

I also noticed that the S2000 was about as slow as my I4 accord up to 6000 RPM, then they switched roles as the S2000 screams ahead and the accord lags behind.
VVT engines improve the emissions output (WAY less) 100% of all VVT engines have no EGRs.. 50% less no EGR required that is why most of the are LEV2 or SULEV etc.. mine with VVT has LEV2 rating while a non VVT has a LEV rating
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #85 (permalink)
In the fasting lane
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Posts: 3,723

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 55.45 mpg (US)

It - '09 Hyundai I10 Active Cool
Team Hyundai
90 day: 28.5 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,505
Thanked 2,040 Times in 1,312 Posts
The second gen Honda Insight (ZE2) has EGR and VTEC, so it is possible to have both. Ultra low emissions (besides CO₂) to boot.
__________________
2011 Honda Insight + HID, LEDs, tiny PV panel, extra brake pad return springs, neutral wheel alignment, 44/42 PSI (air), PHEV light (inop), tightened wheel nut.
lifetime FE over 0.16 Gmeter or 0.1 Mmile.



Most people are in the longest queue.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:57 PM   #86 (permalink)
Tyrant-at-large
 
Vman455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 1,611

Little Red - retired - '05 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 49.03 mpg (US)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 58.28 mpg (US)
Thanks: 175
Thanked 1,398 Times in 732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The second gen Honda Insight (ZE2) has EGR and VTEC, so it is possible to have both. Ultra low emissions (besides CO₂) to boot.
As well as the Prius since 2010.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Thanks: 90
Thanked 267 Times in 204 Posts
Dual VVT allows internal EGR but not LIVC. External EGR allows intake timing to be retarded while diluting the charge for very high efficiency down to the 50% load range.

You don't need EGR to pass emissions, 3 way cats do their job very well. EGR just makes it a little easier by reducing NOx production.

Also the S2000 is definitely not .33, it's got a tall windshield and short tail like a Miata, it's probably like .37.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #88 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel
 
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Posts: 8,163
Thanks: 0
Thanked 890 Times in 789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Turbos improve efficiency, that's why many many new cars, SUVs and even pickup trucks have turbocharged engines.
Turbos alone won't do a miracle. Direct injection preventing the need for an enrichment of the AFR might also be considered, no wonder it became prevalent in newer turbocharged gassers.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com