Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
America: pay a premium for the extra land and then improvement (garage) to store cars. It’s a big chunk of money.

Then, fill garage with $3k of junk while two $45k cars sit outside fast deteriorating in all weather.

Unreal.

Other than the fact that I would never pay that much money for a vehicle, I agree with the sentiment. See it everywhere. Dumb AF don't you think?
JJ

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #52 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
America: pay a premium for the extra land and then improvement (garage) to store cars. It’s a big chunk of money.

Then, fill garage with $3k of junk while two $45k cars sit outside fast deteriorating in all weather.

Unreal.

In this area if your 1/12 of an acre lot has a model T garage you need to do everything in your power to prevent the town from placing a demolition order on it. Then bend the rules to jack up the garage so you can put in a floor in it and elevate the building up so it’s ceiling is high enough to drive your Honda Insight in without hitting your head.

The town also doesn’t allow you to widen or pave your half car wide driveway so if you have 2 cars you run the risk of fines for your tire touching the grass that isn’t considered apart of your dirt driveway or paying the monthly fee for on street alternate side parking that is occasionally banned due to an emergency so you get a “fine”!surprize the next day.

Then you need to navigate the constant harassment from the town because if you have a garage anything you own can’t be outside be it a grill, a push lawnmower, a rake, a kayak, a trailer, or a kids outdoor plastic toy table/play set, whatever and your garbage cans you rent also the can’t be visible.

Meaning you are mandated to somehow keep all that crap out of site while your garage is unusable as such and eventually the owner gives up demolishes it than claims hardship so all his crap instead sits outside on his front porch and yard.

And no you can’t rebuild or enlarge the garage legally

(I like how auto correct changes your to you in every circumstance, makes messages sound brilliant)

Last edited by rmay635703; 10-11-2019 at 12:43 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (10-13-2019), Xist (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
In this area if your 1/12 of an acre lot has a model T garage you need to do everything in your power to prevent the town from placing a demolition order on it. Then bend the rules to jack up the garage so you can put in a floor in it and elevate the building up so it’s ceiling is high enough to drive your Honda Insight in without hitting your head.

The town also doesn’t allow you to widen or pave your half car wide driveway so if you have 2 cars you run the risk of fines for your tire touching the grass that isn’t considered apart of your dirt driveway or paying the monthly fee for on street alternate side parking that is occasionally banned due to an emergency so you get a “fine”!surprize the next day.

Then you need to navigate the constant harassment from the town because if you have a garage anything you own can’t be outside be it a grill, a push lawnmower, a rake, a kayak, a trailer, or a kids outdoor plastic toy table/play set, whatever and your garbage cans you rent also the can’t be visible.

Meaning you are mandated to somehow keep all that crap out of site while your garage is unusable as such and eventually the owner gives up demolishes it than claims hardship so all his crap instead sits outside on his front porch and yard.

And no you can’t rebuild or enlarge the garage legally
Sounds like they REALLY want your money. Gotta love government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I bought a fairly large first house that included a 2 car garage. In that garage I fit 2 cars, a motorcycle, workbench, folding 4'x8' trailer, 4 bicycles, air compressor, a futon, a ping pong table... optimizing wall and ceiling space is a must.

Christmas decorations went in the attic above the garage, which wasn't easy to access, but not a big deal once a year.

The other vehicles I own lived at my parents house, or occasionally parked on the street.

Now I've got a 3 car garage, and 3 cars in it including my wife's friend that is staying here until she finds a job. Still working on organizing tools and optimizing wall space, but it's coming along nicely.

I mount bikes to the ceiling with U hooks in the ceiling joists
Up until recently, the family garage situation was 3 car garage with 2 cars, 8 motorcycles(usually 7), large upright compressor, 4 cabinets, tools and workbench, motorcycle lift and motorcycle trailer, several bicycles, and other assorted crap.

Currently using a winch system for the bicycles, previous house had the hooks, they worked better.

That box storage system is really cool!

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 10-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
My sister has two two-car garages containing zero cars. She also wants to sue the house inspector because he did not catch all kinds of faults.
I guess that you need to inspect everything yourself before you make an offer.