Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Jordan_Nave -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Nave View Post
I usually put my car into Neutral and this lowers the engine idle speed. Does this reduce gas consumption or am I just a nut?
Probably not much. If you are on the flat, the line is straight, and the car weighs less than 2500 lbs, you could open the door and push it with your feet. The best situation is a slight incline and let gravity do the work.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1996 Sable LS - '96 Mercury Sable LS
90 day: 27 mpg (US)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
90 day: 16.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Jordan_Nave -

Probably not much. If you are on the flat, the line is straight, and the car weighs less than 2500 lbs, you could open the door and push it with your feet. The best situation is a slight incline and let gravity do the work.

CarloSW2
That is what I figured

Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Once I get the CitiCar really running right, I MUST take it through a drive-thru, just for the laughs!

(And no gasoline use, did I mention that? Cuz, you know, it's electric. Doesn't use gasoline, in a drive-thru or anywhere else. And it's funny looking.)

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 10-30-2008, 01:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
* Unless you drive naked. In that case, stay in the drive through, please!
Quote:
i dont know, some females could pull it off.
In hot weather, that is a perfectly valid hypermiling tactic. Then you don't have to use the A/C as much and reduce the Lenz's drag by reducing the current drawn... Of course, it's for truly dedicated hypermilers only...

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct...n/ed-methane15
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Keep in mind the basic CHEM 107 knowledge - in other words, the carbon released from the animals originally was captured by the plants they eat. The only non-carbon-neutral part would be the use of fossil fuels in processing, manufacturing fertilizer, etc. Organic meat should be more carbon-neutral as they don't use synthetic chemicals.

Soy is a much better source of protein as far as the environment is concerned, though. And the quality of that protein is pretty competitive with that of animal protein. Not to mention that the reduced fat content would avoid the unwanted weight gain that would spoil your looks (especially for those going for the "celebrity skinny" look) and reduce gas mileage. (Yes, I'm serious about the part about reducing gas mileage. Extra weight needs more energy to accelerate.)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Not to discount your reference to chem 107, as I honestly didn't have that in mind (thank you for bringing that up), but I've just always thought and knew that there is nothing carbon neutral about producing corn and feeding it to cows. The fossil fuel and chemicals wasted in the production of beef (and dairy products for that matter) would be the only thing up for "violation" of non-carbon neutrality. Not to mention all that water. I could go on, but I did realize this was slightly off topic, so my link was intended simply to allude to the fact that yes, of course the answer to saving gas at a drive-thru is not using it at all, but the whole idea of going to any fast food joint defeats the purpose of saving gas/resources and helping to "green the planet". Yes meat and cheese are delicious, no they are not "green". Some people may be here to save gas AND conserve as many resources as possible, others may be here exclusively to push their mileage to the limit. Both reasons have merit, I just think it's important to consider reason #1 if you hadn't. I've only recently gotten behind reason #1 myself. It seems to me that trying to save gas at a drive thru while the things you buy there will cost more gas than you will save in your life at drive thrus is reasonably superficial.

That's just what I think...
Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Except that I may want that beef topped with cheese, but no rational person "wants" to waste gas. There can be a reasonable compromise between being nice to the environment (which should only be done to serve humanity) and doing those things we enjoy that might not be the most ecofriendly.

I'd say meat consumption is reasonable; a 2 ton truck with open windows and a gun rack going 95 isn't.

Reply  Post New Thread