Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #61 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Think back to those old grocery carts, with their negative caster front wheel assemblies. When you tried to push the cart fast at least one, if not both, of the front wheels would shimmy (left-to-right vibration).

Wel-l-l-l-l, a damaged/bent front end part could be causing the same thing to happen with your car. Alignment will tell the real story.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #62 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
When you had your tires balanced, was it done with a balancer that measures road force?

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix
No they had the tire suspended in the air, whatever method that is. You know what I noticed, when driving to work today, it's ONLY vibrating on the front left side. The passenger side mirror doesn't wobble whatsoever, but the driver side ones does a LOT. I don't know if it means anything but I figure it rules out a bad tire as I just switched that tire yesterday.

Also, Old Tele Man, I already had an alignment done twice...

Anyway, I noticed the shimmy goes completely 100% away for a good time once in a while. I had it go away for a good 30 seconds on my way home from work tonight...

Last edited by Baltothewolf; 05-17-2014 at 03:52 AM..
Old 05-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
When you changed out the bent rims were the tire replaced also or were your tires put on the replacement rims? If your tires were your used it is still possible that you have one or more bad tires. Impact enough to damage the rims may have damaged the tire(s) It is unfortunate that you were unable to swap out the rims and tires from one of the other cars that would have gone a long way to helping you trouble shoot the problem.

Did placing gauge under the seat work? Make sure it turns off before doing so. Mine randomly stays on and turning the key on then off is needed to get it to shut down.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #64 (permalink)
Tire Geek

If you've rotated tires and it didn't change anything, then it's not the tires and wheels.

Given the age of the car, my money is on a worn component.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #65 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
I wouldn't put any stock in seeing the mirror vibrate. the right mirror is more convex, so it's harder to see the image shake as much as the left mirror, even if they are shaking the same amount.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #66 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
When you changed out the bent rims were the tire replaced also or were your tires put on the replacement rims? If your tires were your used it is still possible that you have one or more bad tires. Impact enough to damage the rims may have damaged the tire(s) It is unfortunate that you were unable to swap out the rims and tires from one of the other cars that would have gone a long way to helping you trouble shoot the problem.

Did placing gauge under the seat work? Make sure it turns off before doing so. Mine randomly stays on and turning the key on then off is needed to get it to shut down.
Still the same tires. I'm gonna do the rotors, brakes and tires when I get the money, hopefully that fixes it. If not... Well I will deal with that if it happens.

As for UG under the seat idk yet, I get off at night so yea.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Back before I did a complete rebuild of my Neon, I ALWAYS had a little on the highway. I replaced bushings to urethane (minus sway bar), all ball joints, all front bearings, Tie rod ends, converted power steering to manual rack, etc. Cleaned it all up, put it together, did my own alignment (had a shop check it, was spot on!)... Whats funny is I forgot about the shimmy, but I don't recall it doing it anymore since the rebuild.

I know that Neons are absolutely notorious for doing this, too. I'm going to guess that the bushings were what made the difference? Hard to say, having done it all in one shot.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Finally found out what the problem is. The axle is bad. Not to much to fix, parts+labor is 185. I had the mechanic I take my car to put it on a stand and run it @70mph and you could clearly see the axle vibrating.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Finally found out what the problem is. The axle is bad. Not to much to fix, parts+labor is 185. I had the mechanic I take my car to put it on a stand and run it @70mph and you could clearly see the axle vibrating.
I've had an axle break on me before... after a night of drag racing and plenty of wheel hop launching at the track, the drive home was odd. It vibrated like CRAZY when I would accelerate, but not when just cruising or anything else. Sure enough, that axle limped me home.

Glad you found your issue!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #70 (permalink)
Liberty Lover

pris prius - '12 Toyota plug in prius
90 day: 71.09 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
That's great you found what it was, and strange they didn't check that at the start.

Reply  Post New Thread