Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
My biggest "What the Heck" goes to the complete crap the guy in the video was saying, he's clearly full of beans and is using big words he has heard before to sound like he knows what he is saying. He might as well have just let the cigarette do the talking for him. Anybody that uses words out of context and is saying them in such a way as too try and convince you of something is straight out lying and unworthy of trust. I wouldn't even try to convince that numbskull of where he had gone astray, I would laugh and walk away.

Perfect post for the UC.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
jakobnev (05-03-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
"Turbo encabulator".

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
mcrews (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Back in the day the coolant in the aluminum block, iron head Vega engine became a weak electrolyte causing corrosion of the head gasket and eventual failure. Modern anti-freeze coolant supossed to be formulated to combat this. If you can pass electrical current through the coolant guess what it is. (hint think electrolyte)
The Following User Says Thank You to smokey442 For This Useful Post:
chrisgerman1983 (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
So i am essentially turning the radiator into a pretty weak battery... something that i would be worried about if the vid creator is not full of BS would be Hydrogen_embrittlement IF hydrogen is saturating the block then you would need to save a lot of gas money to make up for a crank becoming brittle
Old 05-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
The negative pole on the battery is the mass or "ground" side in conventional parlance, right ?

The radiator is bolted to the car engine/frame/chassis, so it's on the "ground" side of things electrical.
The coolant, being mainly water + dissolved acids and bases, is conductive, so once again it's on the same electrical "ground" side

In order to actually do something, you need a potential difference - i.e. voltage so you can get flux - but when everything is connected to everything else, the potential is the same all over.

So what could it do ?

One thing it could have done is sort a grounding issue somewhere ...

Last edited by euromodder; 05-03-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
The negative pole on the battery is the mass or "ground" side in conventional parlance, right ?

The radiator is bolted to the car engine/frame/chassis, so it's on the "ground" side of things electrical.
The coolant, being mainly water + dissolved acids and bases, is conductive, so once again it's on the same electrical "ground" side

In order to actually do something, you need a potential difference - i.e. voltage so you can get flux - but when everything is connected to everything else, the potential is the same all over.

So what could it do ?

One thing it could have done is sort a grounding issue somewhere ...
The radiator is generally electrically neutral, being attached only by/through rubber grommets and holds. The engine is generally tied as a ground point, and the coolant flows through the block, which would essentially make the radiator a ground through a liquid conductor.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Saw this today....perfect fit for the "Corral"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (05-08-2012), skyking (05-08-2012)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
The radiator is generally electrically neutral, being attached only by/through rubber grommets and holds. The engine is generally tied as a ground point, and the coolant flows through the block, which would essentially make the radiator a ground through a liquid conductor.
I came across this potential difference in the coolant system a while back and I believe it is just the simple electrolyte battery principle, initially I thought I should earth my radiator, then after some careful consideration that if engine block is negative terminal and aluminium radiator core is positive terminal, by shorting the terminals I would my turn my radiator into a sacraficial anode, maybe not such a wise move.

That's why modern radiators are insulated from the body with insulators or plastic ends to the aluminium radiators.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Runs with scissors

Spot - '05 Scion XA
90 day: 30.33 mpg (US)
Instead of creating junk science, the video scientist should perform basic maintenance. Depending who you talk to, coolant voltages over .2 - .7 vdc indicate the coolant base additives have degraded allowing the coolant to become acidic. All kinds of expensive corrosion starts eating away at head gaskets, water pumps, anything aluminum, thermostat housings, etc.. He needs to flush his cooling system, refill with a good quality coolant and verify a voltage under .2 vdc.

By the looks of the top of his battery, he needs to check it for parasitic case draw too.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
radioranger

Doesnt old antifreeze act like a battery electrolyte and corrode your motor ,thus generating a voltage, I guess yuo could speed it up with the right wiring

Reply  Post New Thread