Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Time goes as fast in the car as outside of it (Einstein does not agree, but even then the difference is not noticeable without special instrumentation).
It only matters if you need to be at the destination at a certain time.

I like my car and do not mind being inside it. I use my time behind the wheel thinking things over, and I like to drive at moderate speed to aid my thinking. I arrive relaxed.
Also, I like to reduce the noise level; I suffer from tinnitus and the faster I drive, the longer and harder my ears keep ringing afterwards.

I do have less time to spend outside the car but my quality of life is better when driving slow; both during and after driving.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-01-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
As mentioned in an earlier post: Time is valuable. Over a year of driving slow, it's likely 80 additional hours are spent in the car for a typical driver. That's 2 work weeks, lost to the highways. Placing a value on the fuel saved vs. time consumed, it calculates out to be in the neighborhood of $4/hour.

Put another way, my salary is an order of magnitude more than that. Also, my free time is exceedingly valuable to me. It's why I work, to have the funds to spend my time doing what I want.
If driving a couple mph faster or slower makes an 80 hour difference, that ought to be an indication to a person that they live farther away from their job and other essentials than they ought to, and that no matter what, they are surrendering far too much of their life to the commute. But people would rather justify speeding in their cars than do that much soul-searching.

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
The Following User Says Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 04:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I periodically mention the girl who drove twenty over and talked about how much time she saved, when I asked what the point was, she played on her phone while she drove, and she played on her phone when she got there.

She said she was a good driver, but was stopped for suspicion of DUI, and rear-ended a truck (different occasions) and that was just during the two years I knew her.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (01-01-2017), ThermionicScott (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 04:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
Ecomodding Englishman

The Turdis - '05 Smart Fortwo Cabrio Passion
It's the same here. Half my colleagues moan about the price of fuel, and then happily fritter fuel away by driving like idiots in needlessly high performance cars. Fools.

That said, with escalating fuel prices in recent years I judge that more drivers are slowing down a little, and while they may not be driving conscientiously and conservatively more of them at least appear to be observing the speed limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmy For This Useful Post:
ThermionicScott (01-01-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread