Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

n00b thread

Hi all,

Just registered, but I've come here out of curiosity many a time to peruse your articles and a selection of threads, mostly relating to aerodynamics, which is a topic which I find fascinating whether it be in the context of Formula 1 (of which I am a big fan) or saving fuel.

My current stable includes a factory-stock 2010 Jetta TDi wagon (stick) which gets around 45 MPG on the highway according to the computer. I know I know, that's not a reliable measure. I haven't bothered to actually measure it, maybe since I've started posting here I'll be shamed into giving it a go. All I've done to it eco-mod wise is inflate the tires to about 40 psi and drive it with a light foot and using plenty of my SCCA experience to not scrub too much speed in corners, lol.

Speaking of the SCCA, my other car is a '93 Miata, which has no modifications meant to save fuel, but several meant to use more of it in the name of speed... It made 247 RWHP 1 psi and the stock ignition ago, maybe more like 255 now if I dynoed again. In this car I have measured the MPG at the pump and it's gone from a combined 31 MPG when stock to 23 MPG as it is now. It's loads of fun, but I can't put my daughters in it and blowing through 93 like I do now is only going to get more expensive.

I plan to replace it, which is the real reason I've registered. I want to obtain an EG Civic, a VX more specifically, or at least an EG coupe I can swap a VTEC-E engine into. I'm still weighing out whether I'd rather have the coupe for its possibly better aero. I'd love some input there. Swaps don't scare me as I've done a B16A into my previous Honda CRX (before the Miata), just trying to figure out if it's best to hold out for a genuine VX. They're rare to find locally..

Here are some pics, see y'all around the boards!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Welcome to EM!
it sounds like the jetta is getting decent MPG already. Time for some mods to push it over 60 MPG
Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What do you recommend? I've heard that some get good results from deleting the particulate accumulator system (whatever it's called) and that APR has an uploadable tune that might be worth something. But I've not seen any data.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
See the wiki link on the top of the page? Go there and look through the car mod page. I have done many of the mods there.

How extreme do you want to go?

Aerodynamic mods work well so start with easy ones like side mirror delete, grill block, smooth wheel covers.

Get a scan gauge or equlivent ASAP. It is te foundational mod that gives feedback on tweaking your drvng style.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh, I've read through that before, and I plan to do a grille block in the near future as an experiment. I was more asking if you had any TDi-specific ideas but I just noticed you don't have one so I might be asking the wrong person.

With the VW I don't intend to go very extreme. Just a grille block and my pumped-up LRR tires. I may see about using narrower tires next time it's due for some.

As for the Scan Gauge, is it really any better than the factory instrumentation which gives me instant and averaged MPG readings?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I am not sure how good the factory gauge is. How does it stack up to what you get when you fill up?

Sorry not tdi help, I am just as much in the dark as you. Maybe some of our european members can chime in.

How about smooth wheel covers?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I haven't checked it against what I get when I fill up, but I should and see if they agree. I've just been lazy about checking the figures that matter.

But I did take some of your advice and take a crack at a LGB! Here are some pics. I really didn't want to end up using screws, but...

Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
looks good!

your mod addiction is just starting
Now that you have started down the aero mod road you must keep going till you have a boat tail on the car