Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2023, 01:57 AM   #831 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
How a about survey of more than 1.7 million people from 164 countries?

duckduckgo.com/?q=amount+of+money+for+maximum+happiness&ia=web
Quote:
https://www.verywellmind.com › happiness-doesn-t-top-out-at-usd75-000-study-says-5097098
Happiness Doesn't Top Out at $75,000, Study Says - Verywell Mind
That was the conclusion many drew from a decade-old study by Angus Deaton, the 2015 Nobel laureate in economics, who found that the correlation between emotional wellbeing and income tops out once a person earns $75,000. In other words, any dollar above that amount won't make you any happier.

https://money.com › ideal-income-study
This Is the Ideal Amount of Money for Happiness, Study Says | Money
A large analysis published in the journal Nature Human Behavior used data from the Gallup World Poll, a survey of more than 1.7 million people from 164 countries, to put a price on optimal emotional well-being: between $60,000 and $75,000 a year.

https://www.thebalancemoney.com › how-much-money-do-you-need-to-be-happy-5235250
How Much Money Do You Need To Be Happy? - The Balance
Jun 17, 2022A 2021 study found happiness continues to increase as income rises, even beyond the $75,000 limit Money's impact on happiness depends on other factors, including where you live and the local cost of living. Happiness also results from personal relationships, health, safety, and more.

https://www.cbsnews.com › news › money-happiness-study-daniel-kahneman-500000-versus-75000
One study said happiness peaked at $75,000 in income. Now, economists ...
Mar 8, 2023 Yet new findings suggest that, for most people, happiness does improve with higher earnings — up to $500,000 a year. The research could have real-world implications for tax policies or...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-18-2023, 02:12 AM   #832 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I can't remember where. The point of the article was that going from dying of starvation to eating a meal a day greatly improves happiness. Going from eating a meal a day to having three a day and a roof and clothing improves happiness quite a bit. Going from that to having TV, radio, internet, a car, etc. can slightly improve happiness, but it soon tapers off from there. A millionaire isn't going to be millions of times happier than a guy that makes a median wage in the USA.
The happiest I've ever been was when I didn't own any of the 3 pairs of used tighty whiteys issued to me. This is precisely why I have no mind to forcibly take from some and give to others. Poverty of soul cannot be made whole with material abundance.

All that said, you'll not find a credible study showing a population feeling better off after having suffered economic decline. We can take for granted any level of material gain (hedonic adaptation), but will suffer any loss.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 12-18-2023 at 02:51 AM..
Old 12-18-2023, 02:50 AM   #833 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sadly, my favorite sci-fi plotline is a post-apocalyptic society that is more grounded than the current runaway train.

Everyone lives in 3D printed geodesic domes and travels in aerogel vacuum airships, with a wizard that lives on a nearby mountaintop that harvests flash graphene from lightning strikes.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:23 PM   #834 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I can't remember where. The point of the article was that going from dying of starvation to eating a meal a day greatly improves happiness. Going from eating a meal a day to having three a day and a roof and clothing improves happiness quite a bit. Going from that to having TV, radio, internet, a car, etc. can slightly improve happiness, but it soon tapers off from there. A millionaire isn't going to be millions of times happier than a guy that makes a median wage in the USA.
If I remember correctly peak happiness happens about double median income. You have more than the people around you (people judge relative wealth not actual wealth) and have the basics taken care of with some money left over to have fun.

My personal experience about matches but I'd say peak happiness is even lower - about 150% of the median household income. That may also be because my wife and I don't live extravagant lives - we have been pretty good at avoiding lifestyle creep. Our lifestyle plateaued about a decade ago and now more income just means more money flowing to investments. That was also about the time we had FU levels of savings so job stress greatly diminished.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Piotrsko (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 08:43 PM   #835 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I've had years worth of savings for quite a while now, so employment isn't a stressor for me. Years of savings is flexible though. I could never work again and rent out all the rooms I've got, and between that income and food stamps, would get along.

My happiness is linked to expanding understanding and is basically uncorrelated with income except for the usual feeling that losing it feels worse than the happiness by gaining.

Don't have much of an envy response, so in that regard I'm unusual I think. I'd pay for Elon's lunch just as I would do for anyone else I'm with. Nobody "owes me" based on how I compare to them on the economic scale.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:03 AM   #836 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Elon tends to have an entourage and a credit card. I liked Howard Hughes better.

I found happiness isn't dollar related,, but value related. Doing what I want when I want: priceless. Having the funds to do that, even better. I can choose what I want to do
AND how to finance that wish. However I am not any happier because of it although it doesn't make me unhappy.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:35 AM   #837 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I've had large swings in my personal fortunes, and my happiness graph does not match it very much. The biggest change is that my problems change in size and duration so much that someone simply observing behaviour might think I was a different species. I know that there are people with ten times less than I, and others with ten times more, but I can't really relate to their daily concerns. Nothing in our evolution before large scale agriculture prepared us for dealing with people whose influence is multiplied by wealth.
Old 12-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #838 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Elon tends to have an entourage and a credit card.
Elon has an entourage? I've seen him in various videos explaining something about Space X, or something about Tesla manufacturing, and he's always by himself. Perhaps off camera he surrounds himself with people?

Credit card is unsurprising. Most people have one, and I use one exclusively to get the 2% cash back on purchases. freebeard is the one paying cash for lunch.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:50 PM   #839 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Coburg Pizza in The Mohawk. Single slice until 3PM. I recommend their All American BLT.

Old 12-20-2023, 11:03 AM   #840 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Was the BLT an actual big B or 1-2 slices folded in half?

BTw: whats a whole pizza go for any more? Is $35 unreasonable for a detroit style?