Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Would you buy a basic $5000 car?
In a heartbeat 3 5.88%
Yes, but only if it was dependable 9 17.65%
Yes, but only if it had a tiny engine and manual trans 11 21.57%
Depends, not sure, maybe 14 27.45%
No, it would probably be a rolling piece of junk 3 5.88%
No (other) 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2023, 06:15 PM   #101 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I was just thinking that 3d-printing styrofoam would be useful, but I just wrote "Foam," and got these:

freebeard (02-21-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #102 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Of course it isn't suitable for making parts for econoboxes. However, the topic moved on from econoboxes to relative strength of metal parts from different forming processes.
Considering how manufacturing processes changed a lot since the Ford Model T days, compared to modern econoboxes, still seems to not be much of a thread hijack. BTW I guess if new cars still had poured Babbit bearings, it would've been not only a maintenance nightmare but also more expensive.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:44 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Considering how manufacturing processes changed a lot since the Ford Model T days, compared to modern econoboxes, still seems to not be much of a thread hijack.
Still waiting for the hemp fiber car bodies. The most we've got is hemp particle board in Mercedes Benz door cards.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:18 PM   #104 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Still waiting for the hemp fiber car bodies. The most we've got is hemp particle board in Mercedes Benz door cards.
Even though some folks may think a hemp-bodied car would be useful to push their weed agenda forward, regulatory issues may be hard to overcome, unless it's outsourced from places where industrial hemp is more widely developed or was never even forbidden such as China.

OTOH with all that ESG virtue-signalling, it does surprise me no automaker is looking at Sisal fiber which is widely cultivated in some of the poorest states of Brazil and parts of Africa, claiming they're giving employment opportunities in some rough place where even the locals would rather go away if they had the money to buy a one-way ticket...
Old 02-23-2023, 01:27 AM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Even though some folks may think a hemp-bodied car would be useful to push their weed agenda forward, regulatory issues may be hard to overcome, unless it's outsourced from places where industrial hemp is more widely developed or was never even forbidden such as China.
This hypothetical 'weed agenda' is a boat anchor holding back industrial hemp. As well as an inversion of the real insult to liberty that Prohibition was.

The Model T may have had Babbit bearings, but htere was so much Vanadium in the engine blocks that they never rust.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:26 AM   #106 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This hypothetical 'weed agenda' is a boat anchor holding back industrial hemp. As well as an inversion of the real insult to liberty that Prohibition was.
There is a weed agenda, and it is more detrimental to the industrial hemp than anything else. A random pothead trying to "shock" the average Joe with some pointless woke speech will always make everyone look at industrial hemp as just another excuse for potheads to get easier access to "recreational" weed.

Quote:
The Model T may have had Babbit bearings, but htere was so much Vanadium in the engine blocks that they never rust.
AFAIK bearings have nothing to do with rustproofing.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:08 AM   #107 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
How much THC is in a foot of hemp rope? Im guessing you'd only get a slight effect burning a 100ft coil of 1/2".

Cant see any sailor burning the mooring lines on a carrier.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:32 AM   #108 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
How much THC is in a foot of hemp rope?
I don't know, but I'm sure it's lower for certain varieties of industrial hemp which is already cultivated in Europe. CBD which has actual medical properties tends to be concentrated at an inverse proportion compared to THC, but most proponents of the weed agenda who I talked to seem to neglect it while they try to signal virtue talking about medical Cannabis, which in the end becomes an excuse for them to push for "recreational" weed to eventually also become fully legal.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #109 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

proponents of the weed agenda = anti-prohibitionist stance.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:17 AM   #110 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

In order to provide a suitable replacement for the Gol, Volkswagen released another version of the Polo. Not exactly what I would consider a stripper model, yet its trim has a simpler layout for some cost-cutting without an actual compromise to the safety and quality. Sure it's not what the average soccer-mom would consider a family-car, but it may be suitable for some families of my country. When will I start to see people with a German or Italian accent from some small towns in the countryside of Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul roaming around the beach in some of these with a roof rack?

Reply  Post New Thread