Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 13.95 mpg (US)

DIYWRX - '16 Subaru Crosstrek Prem - SE
90 day: 25.3 mpg (US)
Some questions about building materials

Hello all,

I hope that this is the right place to post this.

So I drew and did some photochops last night, and I have an idea of what aeromods I want to start doing. So today when I got out of work I stopped by Home Depot, and confused the sales people sufficiently.

Anyway, I bought some Styrofoam panels to make my grille blocks (and maybe eventually Kammback). Now the paint on the front of my Camry has issues, so I thought that maybe once I got the placement of everything down right, I could bondo everything and paint it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on styrofoam with bondo? If so, that would be helpful; if not I'll experiment and then we'll know. I know that EM won't let me post photos until I hit 10 posts, but once I do I'll show you guys what I'm working with.

Thanks a bunch!

-Joe

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
I'm in the same spot.

I can do the designs easy enough it's just get the right building materials without spending a bunch of money that wouldn't make the mods justifiable in the first place.

2012 mpg
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL

Well, I'm gonna try giving it a start in the morning. I've given myself a budget of $100. (Excluding paint, seeing as I need to fo that anyway.) So far I've spent $26.74

Styrofoam and Gorilla Glue.

Now the real question is do I count tools in the budget, or as an investment?
(I've been needing a Dremel for years, and this project is going to push it...)
Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Mix some bondo in a stryofoam cup. I think you will find that the two materials an incompatible. There was an earlier discussion of materials here on this site, but I don't have the immediate link. Do a search.

On grill blocks, you don't want to do anything to make them permanent. Most folks have to remove all or part of their grill blocks in hot weather.

Though the following link does not address materials directly, there were several posts which did have valuable information on materials:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ght-12153.html

Coroplast is a very nice "sheet" type material. It is the corregated plastic used for signs. If you can find some old political signs you might FINALLY put them to good use ;-) Also, cardboard can be used for short term experiments.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
Mix some bondo in a stryofoam cup. I think you will find that the two materials an incompatible. There was an earlier discussion of materials here on this site, but I don't have the immediate link. Do a search.

On grill blocks, you don't want to do anything to make them permanent. Most folks have to remove all or part of their grill blocks in hot weather.

Though the following link does not address materials directly, there were several posts which did have valuable information on materials:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ght-12153.html

Coroplast is a very nice "sheet" type material. It is the corregated plastic used for signs. If you can find some old political signs you might FINALLY put them to good use ;-) Also, cardboard can be used for short term experiments.
I like the cup idea, that's really brilliant. I'm checking the link now, so thank you for that.

Quick question though, I remember reading through the AeroCivic thread, and he had a small opening on a line to open and close it and need be. You said that most people remove their grille blocks in warm weather. Is completely necessary to remove all of them, or just a small opening?

(As I'm typing this I'm thinking, why don't I jut try it and watch my temp gauge... But seeing as I've already typed the question I'll ask anyway )
Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Here's one data point for you.

I fully blocked my upper grille with fiberglass and epoxy resin laid up over pink styrofoam insulation. The lower grille block is just fiberglass wetted out and laid up over the bumper, with no mold. My license plate is a movable aerodynamic device.

In this picture, the plate is in its winter position. It's good up to around 85°F on flat land at 60mph, or long gradual hills at 74mph and 65°F.

I moved the license plate to the passenger side of the bumper, exposing another 0.5 ft² of grille, and I haven't had overheating issues yet, not even on a fast interstate trip on a 90°F day.

Do keep an eye on your coolant temperature, though. A radiator fan won't save you when you're going 74mph. In fact, it doesn't really do much at all when you're going that fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InsightFrontView.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	6093  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
animated_zombie (05-28-2010), wyatt (05-28-2010)
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Robert, is there any way to fix that hood? Jeez man, that gap on the passenger side light looks like a gaping hole to me...

Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Alli - '07 Ford F-150 XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Here's one data point for you.

I fully blocked my upper grille with fiberglass and epoxy resin laid up over pink styrofoam insulation. The lower grille block is just fiberglass wetted out and laid up over the bumper, with no mold. My license plate is a movable aerodynamic device.

In this picture, the plate is in its winter position. It's good up to around 85°F on flat land at 60mph, or long gradual hills at 74mph and 65°F.

I moved the license plate to the passenger side of the bumper, exposing another 0.5 ft² of grille, and I haven't had overheating issues yet, not even on a fast interstate trip on a 90°F day.

Do keep an eye on your coolant temperature, though. A radiator fan won't save you when you're going 74mph. In fact, it doesn't really do much at all when you're going that fast.
Awesome work! Thanks for the inspiration! Today I'm making molds out of formboard, but I think that I'll try the pink installation now that I know it'll work!
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Just remember that Robert used Fiberglass to give it some durability... I don't know how long you could stand the shame of driving around with pink styro sticking out of your grill...

Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Robert, is there any way to fix that hood? Jeez man, that gap on the passenger side light looks like a gaping hole to me...
Yeah, it's pretty bad aero. That's an old picture, with the fiberglass parts in gray primer.

Before I drove to Indiana, a buddy and I took a whack at it with a 2x4 and a rubber mallet, but it still needs more. I'd also like to move the driver's side headlight forward a half inch before I make major adjustments to the rest of it.

One big mistake I made: I didn't notice the "design language" of the bumper before I started sanding the upper grille block. Honda has the headlights set a few inches back from the bumper, and the grille block should have started back there. That's why mine ended up with a discontinuity to the left and right of the upper grille.

Fiberglass is a great material. It's lightweight, fairly easy to work with, weatherproof, and paintable. If you can get it smooth, and avoid any lumps or ridges where the fiberglass ends, you can make it look like it was meant to be there.

The cheaper / more common polyester resin eats styrofoam. I chose epoxy resin from USComposites.com.

Reply  Post New Thread