Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Some info or sterling engines.

American Stirling Company FAQ

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Advocates of direct drive electric vehicles state the lack of a transmission makes the vehicle more efficient. In one manner it does that, but in order to recapture several hundred horsepower seconds of energy in a rapid stop, you only have in the neighborhood of 20 revolutions of the wheels to capture the energy. No chemical battery can accept energy at that rate (several hundred kilowatts in a few seconds).
But what fraction of your stops are that rapid?

You do have a good point about the battery charge acceptance rate being a weak link. That's why some people are looking at either ultracapacitors or flywheel systems.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

James, I don't want to take this thread in the wrong direction. I was reading a consumers report last week and they tested a Leaf. Lost 15% of the energy charging the battery.

We should not fall into the trap of making comparisons of systems driven by hypermilers, the real world includes a lot of wasted braking energy and making a vehicle that recovers that energy at a rate of over 80% wheel to wheel will never be accomplished by any combination of batteries and capacitors that NASA could build today with unlimited funds.

On the other hand a hydraulic accumulator has a life expectancy measured in decades. Rebuilding it is a matter of replacing the rubber bladder. The cheapest capacitive storage you can buy today. Not something that may be available in a decade, not even considering the cost.

regards
Mech
Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
James, I don't want to take this thread in the wrong direction. I was reading a consumers report last week and they tested a Leaf. Lost 15% of the energy charging the battery.

We should not fall into the trap of making comparisons of systems driven by hypermilers, the real world includes a lot of wasted braking energy and making a vehicle that recovers that energy at a rate of over 80% wheel to wheel will never be accomplished by any combination of batteries and capacitors that NASA could build today with unlimited funds.

On the other hand a hydraulic accumulator has a life expectancy measured in decades. Rebuilding it is a matter of replacing the rubber bladder. The cheapest capacitive storage you can buy today. Not something that may be available in a decade, not even considering the cost.

regards
Mech
This is the way that I believe is the future, the only problem is cost. To keep it low you would have to go with a 3,000 psi accumulator- 5k max but even that is expensive (since you then need a less common 5k pump to fill it). Point in case, you can't jam THAT much into a 3k accumulator, although it is still much more efficient than any capacitor or battery being filled at a fast rate.

BTW I wound be providing or seeking investors, I realized this as soon as they walked into my office lol. However, I still think the concept of a stirling (more like a quasiturbine stirling) is pretty good due to the low (non existent) compression needed to light the fuel = less toxic gasses.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
If they have a patent you can read it online with the patent number. Issued patents are in the public domain like mine, US 7677208. If they do not have an issued patent, don't count on one being issued until it actually happens (Patent Pending-but not guaranteed to be approved). I could write a book about my experiences, including finding a very similar design dating back over 120 years, which I was required by law to reveal to the Patent Office.

The problem is the Patent Office has a rejection criteria defined as "obvious to someone educated in the art" a very vague criteria subject to wide variances in interpretation.

They may have patented a combination of individually non patentable devices.

regards
Mech
And btw I would also like to hear more about this patent of yours, sounds interesting but there are diagrams or sketches to introduce my mind to the picture you are painting on the patent. If I understand, you are saying a transmission/motor all in one thing?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hydroline3 - '09 Mitsubishi L200 Business, Double cab
90 day: 40.86 mpg (US)
Here is a link to a Swedish company that recently built a prototype series-hybrid stirling electric car. http://www.precer.se/Files/Precer_Data_Sheet_D.pdf

A lot of the commercial Stirling businness is coming from Sweden today.
http://www.cleanergy.com/technology/ has the old V161 engine in production (9 kW electrical output + 25 kW thermal) and it is used both for gas and solar powered applications.

United Stirling did some prototypes together with car companies during the oil crisis in the seventies. They had working engines in the 60 - 80 hp range.

Here is a paper with a lot of info on automotive stirling implementations.
http://mac6.ma.psu.edu/stirling/repo...1997021349.pdf

Last edited by HAHA; 10-26-2011 at 04:30 AM..
Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
BTW I wound be providing or seeking investors, I realized this as soon as they walked into my office lol. However, I still think the concept of a stirling (more like a quasiturbine stirling) is pretty good due to the low (non existent) compression needed to light the fuel = less toxic gasses.
As I noted before these guys are a bunch of clowns. Anybody would be well advised to stay the hell away from them when it comes to investing. The blatant clue to their incompetence is the proposal to use thermoelectric generators to generate energy off the waste heat from the Stirling engine. If a Stirling engine is properly employed you won't be able to utilize the waste heat with out degrading the Stirling engine's performance. When you propose using thermoelectric generators which in real life are only about 15% efficient at best the degradation of the Stirling engines performance will be huge.

If you want to invest money in a Sterling powered hybrid look to investing with Dean Kamen. He has been working at it since before 2008 and he already has taken the segway from concept to product so he knows business.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHA View Post
Here is a link to a Swedish company that...
Wow, and they're using pellets too, not ridiculous gasoline!

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hydroline3 - '09 Mitsubishi L200 Business, Double cab
90 day: 40.86 mpg (US)
Well - the major attraction with Stirling engines is that they just require a temperature gradient to work. Heat is a low form of energy so it's easily generated or harvested.
They are a bit hard to regulate though and work best at a constant high efficiency rpm. This makes the series-hybrid an obvious choice.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslover911 View Post
And btw I would also like to hear more about this patent of yours, sounds interesting but there are diagrams or sketches to introduce my mind to the picture you are painting on the patent. If I understand, you are saying a transmission/motor all in one thing?
The basic design could actually be incorporated in a Stirling configuration, but the best pathway to implementation is in a drive for power train applications. The reason is power trains do not have to be EPA certified for use, having no emissions issues to resolve.

I also have a concept for an accumulator that I was considering applying for a Patent to cover the design. It could be incorporated into the structure of the vehicle. 3k PSI will work but the higher pressure designs would work much better.

Basslover. I hate flying and it's a long way to Texas. Have you ever considered a vacation in Williamsburg, Va?

I'll PM you my email address and we can communicate off this site.

regards
Badger

Reply  Post New Thread