Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.84 mpg (US)
Well a little bit of an update. I haven't finished the pan yet waiting on some replies if I'm getting some free sheets of the big plastic. So might be a couple more weeks until I get the response. So i'll take what i have made and transpose it to the big stuff so it is one piece and not a bunch pieced together. Well last week my wife and both kids went to my son's therapy so I had the extra weight, and the wife isn't to fond of the P&G. So I just stuck her at 60 with the cruise control. I was surprised to get 38 mpg for the trip just doing that. Looks like the little bit of mods have done something. I did that round trip a few months ago that only yielded me 36mpg. If I'm getting 38, and the weather is colder something with the pan, mirror, front lip, front grill block, and other things, have added up to a little. I'm going to keep chugging along on this beast. Next year for sure I'll be lowering the car, and adding side skirts. So time will tell.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Alright so did another run this past Wednesday, and well I will start out by saying I hate this time of year. People come out in flocks like never before. The traffic is usually pretty lite on both trips. These past couple weeks Its been bumper to bumper to bumper to bumper. I think you get me drift. I wasn't able to P&G the whole time. Mainly why my numbers were a lot lower, 43 and some change. Hopefully all the seasonal people find there place again soon. Next week if its crazy again I'll probably do a control run on sticking it at 60, and see if it stay above 36. Not sure if the fuel mixture has changed yet, but I think they maybe on winter blend already. Also going to be ordering a block heater because my short runs in the morning are killing the economy.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #53 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The UG screen on display is the one you drive with? So you use instand mpg for monitoring the "P" in "P&G"? If so, you'll get better results using "engine load %" instead. What's yr method?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
I use the throttle position percentage for the pulse and I try to keep it in around 18-20.

I I have been pulsing up to 65 and then gliding to 50 with the engine on. The UG doesn't work with engine off coasting I have tried with no result I might be doing it wrong. Pretty much my method.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Depends on how you kill the engine, I assume it's with the ignition switch?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #56 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compdrag View Post
I use the throttle position percentage for the pulse and I try to keep it in around 18-20.

I I have been pulsing up to 65 and then gliding to 50 with the engine on. The UG doesn't work with engine off coasting I have tried with no result I might be doing it wrong. Pretty much my method.
Careful! When you switch the engine off, do NOT leave it in an off position. Turn the key back to run without turning to ignition. That way all your instruments still work, including UG. If you stay in off you could get killed or injured in an accident when you try to steer away and encounter the steering column lock. Perhaps I misunderstand what you tried. I hope you don't switch into "off" position and leave it there. Instead, leave the ignition in the run or on position without switching the engine back on until you are ready.

On the throttle versus engine load. You want to use engine load, not throttle position for the best results. Try for about 75% engine load and try to stay there. You will notice that to stay at 75% load as the car accelerates you will want to change throttle position. And that's why throttle position is not the best for P&G regulation. You want to stay in optimal engine load, which is usually about 70-80%...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
No I don't turn it off lol I click it down one then back to on so the electric steering still works. I'll try the engine load gauge and see what that does thanks for the tip.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Ok so I'm doing a test of driving like a normal everyday person to see what my numbers are kind of as a base line. I know I have a few aero things done, which will give very minimal. So we will see by the end of the month what the tank will hold.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Well finally the local republican party got back to me and had to gigantic signs for me. One sign went from the front bumper to the rear axle. So out with the patch work of signs and in with the one piece all the way back to the gas tank. Im way happier with this, and I made an access port for oil changes.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That looks really nice. Should make a difference!

Reply  Post New Thread