Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
GM had the development, they had the capability (or maybe they didn't, because they didn't put the engine in the car - iono), they never had a working prototype.
But they DID have working prototypes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
But they DID have working prototypes.
Where? Of all the obscure prototypes (that we know of), the stir-lec prototype has been the most elusive. Not a picture, anywhere - just the same diagram as published in a GM advertisement. No additional information - just the same stuff repeated in both recent posts on the internet and publications from the late 60's/70's :/

Around that same time, GM had a whole bunch of cool prototypes... While trying to find the Stir-Lec, I came across a series of electro[model] vehicles...

Electrovan - hydrogen fuel cell from '66

Electrovair

Electrovette

My particular favorite (for it's quirkiness), the electric Model 512

Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What about the development work done in the early 90's by GM and the DOE as part of the Clinton era "Partnership for Next Generation Vehicles" (PNGV):

Quote from the book "Energy Research at DOE: Was It Worth It? Energy Efficiency and Fossil Energy Research 1978 to 2000" pg 151:

"From 1993 until 1998, General Motors teamed with Stirling Thermal Motors (STM) to develop and demonstrate a Stirling engine for hybrid vehicles as part of the PNGV initiative. The engine was designed to drive a generator in a series hybrid configuration. Six engines were eventually built by STM, and three were delivered to General Motors for testing. By the end of the program, the Stirling hybrid propulsion system was integrated into a 1995 Chevrolet Lumina. The Stirling hybrid vehicle failed to meet several key requirements. Specific shortcomings included lower-than-expected thermal efficiency, high heat rejection requirements, poor specific power, and excessive hydrogen leakage. The engine did meet its emission target, demonstrating half the ultralow-emission-vehicle (ULEV) standard. There are no plans for further development of the Stirling hybrid concept with GM or any other auto manufacturer. STM is working to commercialize a small Stirling-powered generator for commercial use."

And this fact sheet from the DOE Office of Advanced Automotive Technologies:

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/16/15287.pdf

Looks like they did have a prototype but it turned out to not be economically feasable at the time.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I think the key is "a working prototype"

What's the difference between a clever idea and a good idea?

Good ideas make money.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
extramiler

A4 - '01 Audi A4 Avant sport
90 day: 32.42 mpg (US)
SuperTrooper - thanks for posting this, I'm another EastCoaster that believes that Kamen is on the right track.
I don't understand the Kamen / Deka bashing bandwagon that people hop on to, perhaps it is human nature to be jealous and bitter - I just don't see what that gets you.
Let's say GM did have a working version of the Hybrid car 38+ years ago good for them - will they still be in business 30 odd years in the future - maybe with a Gov. bail out they will make it to 2010!
The more important aspect of the story is that advanced technology applied to a Stirling Engine is possible. Think beyond transportation, I have a Solar hot water system on my house that at times provides surplus BTUs - how great would it be to tap that and have a grid tied Stirling generator to off set my electricity use via Net-metering which is already established in most states. Add a plug-in electric ride to the mix and it almost sounds to good to be true.
Remember there is NO silver bullet - but there is silver buckshot.
If you think something can not be done please stay out of the way of those of us that are doing it.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12voltsolar View Post
I don't understand the Kamen / Deka bashing bandwagon that people hop on to, perhaps it is human nature to be jealous and bitter - I just don't see what that gets you.
What's to understand? Nobody likes a braggart - it's as simple as that :-) The Segway thing was a perfect example: it's sort of a neat device with some useful niche applications, but remember how he was hyping it up as something that was going to revolutionize transportation? Likewise with Stirling-engine hybrids: he certainly deserves credit if he has done the R&D to get a good working system, but the idea is hardly revolutionary, or unique to him. Heck, I thought of it myself, years ago - and before I'd heard of the Stir-Lec, too :-)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Call it "inventor's syndrome"... i'm sure that everyone that invents everything thinks it will change the world... from the "spiked milk jug" to the toilet seat that seperates your cheeks as you sit down... besides, when you're trying to sell to the world, you need to tell the world that they need it.

Reply  Post New Thread